Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #221
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Not trying to get too philosophical, but...

One of my heroes during my early 20s, Ari Vatanen, (paraphrasing) lived in a manner in which if you choose to do something, do it 100%, don't let things get in the way, or just don't do it

I never been able to live that way as I am little too risk averse (chicken in short), but I remind myself of him every time I set my mind onto something.

Best of luck...
Vatanen is a legend.

I'll come up with something, I always do. I'm just pissed because I'm used to be in control of my life, I hate the feeling of being in the mercy of others.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #222
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Hooray.

I knew you were too obsessed and immature to give up because of a loser sales associate who wants to play bait and switch.

When you have found something, let us know.
Buahaha. I can't let this go, even if every damn fiber in me knows it's not sane thing to do. Let's face it, I fucking hate most cars. This I have found too little to complain. It's this, or waiting an other five years.

That, and the damn smug face the spouse does so well.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #223
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Buahaha. I can't let this go, even if every damn fiber in me knows it's not sane thing to do. Let's face it, I fucking hate most cars. This I have found too little to complain. It's this, or waiting an other five years.

That, and the damn smug face the spouse does so well.
......I am surprised you haven't weighed in on the 'how do I convince my wife to get an M4' thread.....

I fear you will be in the 'grow a pair and just fucking do it' brigade and will unwind all the thoughtful advice some of us have given.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #224
Lups
Rep

Quote:
......I am surprised you haven't weighed in on the 'how do I convince my wife to get an M4' thread.....

I fear you will be in the 'grow a pair and just fucking do it' brigade and will unwind all the thoughtful advice some of us have given.
I have the time to waste now, I'll find that right away.

OMC the smug dork suggested that I stay home now that I couldn't get a car. A lot of words were used by me.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #225
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
I have the time to waste now, I'll find that right away.

OMC the smug dork suggested that I stay home now that I couldn't get a car. A lot of words were used by me.
Were the words you used more than 'yes dear, of course dear, whatever you say dear?'

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #226
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Were the words you used more than 'yes dear, of course dear, whatever you say dear?'

Of course, I told him I'm not leaving anywhere, and I will be happy to enjoy our time together as he told. Naturally I started to pack an other pack while telling him this over and over and over again. Apparently I'm taking dresses with me now too.

But I told him to come along, that I'd get the inlaws here by Monday, so he could come and enjoy the open roads in a fast car with me. He turned green. It's pretty safe to say he does not enjoy my style of speeding, braking, or ruining the rubber.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #227
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Of course, I told him I'm not leaving anywhere, and I will be happy to enjoy our time together as he told. Naturally I started to pack an other pack while telling him this over and over and over again. Apparently I'm taking dresses with me now too.

But I told him to come along, that I'd get the inlaws here by Monday, so he could come and enjoy the open roads in a fast car with me. He turned green. It's pretty safe to say he does not enjoy my style of speeding, braking, or ruining the rubber.

To All...this is from one of our dear friends:

"Ok, so I think it’s time for me to chime in on this thread because I feel like the situation isn’t being accurately represented, and it’s a tad bit disconcerting and disappointing. I’d post this myself, but I’m still finishing up my 30-day time out for arguing with @Dondula, so I can’t post in the F8X forums until 8/6 nor will I be able to respond to anything you guys post until Wednesday. Thanks to @jc05e46m3 for posting this for me. Anyway…..

This entire ordeal began after a Northwest dealership sold @Lups ' car allocation right from under her due to dealership politics (…and I admittedly don’t know the full story on that, only the aspects for which I was informed). It was unfortunate, but it happens. With her and I being friends, I obviously felt bad for her, so I made it a point to help her find a car.

I have two really close dealership contacts here in So.Cal, and both of them found her a car. The one I selected for her jumped through a lot of hoops to find her a car to meet the early August deadline that she had set, and I ordered my car through the other contact for other reasons. He found a coupe that was about to enter production, called his contact at BMW headquarters, and had the entire spec of the car changed to match what Lups wanted. This was done for her without mandating a deposit, without a written commitment, and simply as a favor for me. After all, I wanted her to have a good summer and enjoy the remainder of her time here in the U.S.

No actual numbers were agreed upon (..but he provided her the MSRP numbers on the car), and there was a delay on sending her final numbers while the car was being built because he was trying to pull strings to get the mark-up reduced. Most dealerships here in So.Cal are selling the new F8X with a mark-up that ranges between $5k-10k, and very few are selling at MSRP (…props to the select few that are, San Diego BMW being one of them). Every manufacturer with a hot car does it (..hell, even Ford marks up their Raptor SVT trucks as much as $10k due to popularity). I don’t agree with it, but people pay to play. Nevertheless, he was trying to get her the best deal that he could.

I have been more or less coordinating this whole process from the beginning, so I was always in contact with him regarding the car and its status. He would constantly provide updates on where the car was in the construction process, when it was in the body shop, when it would be on the ship, etc., and he was truly trying to look out for her. The fact that he is being passed off as an unscrupulous salesman is both unfair to him, and it’s a bit of a personal jab to me, especially when only a part of the story is being told. Lups is trying to get a deal on the car. I get it! ….but she also wants the car for $1500-2k under MSRP. There is no way that the owner of that dealership is going to let that happen (..especially when people have been offering to buy her built car from the dealership, $10k mark-up and all, because there are no dealer stock 6MT’s), and my friend isn’t in any position to pull those kinds of strings. He’d probably be fired for that. Yes, the car that he is selling her has a mark-up (..I believe $5k), and that’s the best that he can do having already gone up the management ladder. Heck, even if he could manage MSRP, Lups doesn’t really want to pay that figure. She even wanted him to ship the car up to Washington; something he was willing to do if she wanted to pay the shipping fees. At this point, what is my friend supposed to say to her when his hands are tied? He didn’t move the goal posts. He didn’t change the terms. Admittedly it would’ve been more prudent to provide her the final numbers sooner, but all he tried to do was help her as best he could when another dealership totally screwed her out of money and a car, yet the picture that is being painted here is a negatively inaccurate one.

Sure, some of you will say, “…but Clan, he’s your friend. Of course you’ll defend him.” Naw, if a friend fucks up, he fucks up, and I’d be the first to admit it. This isn’t one of those cases. He told me from the beginning that MSRP on her car would be unlikely, he just couldn’t negotiate the terms until the arrival time was closer. All I told him in the beginning was, “She’s a friend. Do the best you can for her.” For comparisons sake, I’m getting my car under MSRP, but that was only afforded to me because I’ve purchased a shitload of cars from them (..averages out to one a year). IF I were just a customer off the street, or had only purchased a car or two from them in the past, I’d be paying some kind of mark-up too if I wanted the car this early in the game.

My only goal in this post is to paint a more accurate picture of what happened, not to sling mud. I just don’t like partial truths. I deal in black & white on most things, and this situation is no different. With that said, I hope that you find a car Lups. Your experience has been a troublesome endeavor indeed."
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #228
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Additionally, from my own perspective:

@Lups , There is a AW/Black Full Leather with black 19s and MANUAL TRANNY that just arrived this morning at a dealer about 10 mins from me with no claim on it. Nothing above MSRP AFAIK. Contact for details if interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #229
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I'm not really seeing a "partial truth" in this thread. The car MSRP is $75k and the dealer wants $90k out the door. That is ridiculous in any state.... even California.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #230
Lups
Rep

@sedan_clan this is in no way your fault. I let things slip, since I've been way way WAY too busy, and I didn't have the time to ask and reask things in paper. I'm the one who let the ball drop, and as an adult I think I admitted it well enough above.

As for the first one, maybe I just got pushed back. Selling the slot isn't my first thought in that either, and I can honestly say now I'm just waiting my next project.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #231
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Additionally, from my own perspective:

@Lups , There is a AW/Black Full Leather with black 19s and MANUAL TRANNY that just arrived this morning at a dealer about 10 mins from me with no claim on it. Nothing above MSRP AFAIK. Contact for details if interested.
On god I'm so sick of cars right now, Cs, that my only plan for the moth is swimming. Really, I think I will kick up something from the road if the itch doesn't go away, but as it is now, I dont care enough. I'm renting something stupid, and maybe even wait a bit with buying all together. I have a lot of other interests which easily eat the 100 k budget I gave myself for this one. Hahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #232
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I'm not really seeing a "partial truth" in this thread. The car MSRP is $75k and the dealer wants $90k out the door. That is ridiculous in any state.... even California.

Two different cars. The one posted above is completely different. Her dealer was asking $5K over.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #233
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Two different cars. The one posted above is completely different. Her dealer was asking $5K over.
I'm not talking about your car... I'm talking about her original build at SC's dealership which was around MSRP $75k. If they are asking for $90K... then do the math. That is quite a bit more than a $5000 mark up. Either way... its shady. And to say that they are doing her a favor and ONLY mark it up $10,000 is insulting.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #234
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I'm not talking about your car... I'm talking about her original build at SC's dealership which was around MSRP $75k. If they are asking for $90K... then do the math. That is quite a bit more than a $5000 mark up. Either way... its shady. And to say that they are doing her a favor and ONLY mark it up $10,000 is insulting.
A $75K MSRP with tax, title and license in CA would be about $85k. Add a $5k markup and you are at $90k with no problem. Don't agree with dealers doing markups, but just pointing out that a $75k car can reach $90k quickly.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #235
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
A $75K MSRP with tax, title and license in CA would be about $85k. Add a $5k markup and you are at $90k with no problem. Don't agree with dealers doing markups, but just pointing out that a $75k car can reach $90k quickly.
Car will be registered in WA. Tax will be around $4900. So you're telling me there will be another $5000 in fees? C'mon...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #236
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Car will be registered in WA. Tax will be around $4900. So you're telling me there will be another $5000 in fees? C'mon...
No, I was talking about California, not Washington.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #237
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
No, I was talking about California, not Washington.
I understand that... but the car is being registered in WA. So she would not be paying California taxes. Whatever... you are missing the point. $5000, $10000... to say this is a favor makes me laugh.

edit... and let me be clear, I'm not talking about Sedan Clan helping out... i'm talking about a dealership marking a car up.

Last edited by Wah; 08-03-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #238
Lups
Rep

Come on, let it be. It doesn't matter. It was not meant to happen, I can easily blow the cash on saving the world. I'm still over the F8x's, so I'll think of something else after the holiday, we are here for so little time anymore there is no point in starting this all again, so I'll just get something that's here and ready or nothing.

Corvette just might hit east with me.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #239
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I understand that... but the car is being registered in WA. So she would not be paying California taxes. Whatever... you are missing the point. $5000, $10000... to say this is a favor makes me laugh.
No, I didn't miss the point. I said that I did not agree with the added price over MSRP. I also didn't mean to imply that I thought this was a favor.

My only point was that MSRP and out the door prices can be very different, especially when the dealer is taking $5k or more. That's all I was trying to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #240
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
I have never, ever seen a dealer add markup to an ordered car.

Never. I would have reacted the same way Lups did.

Was it an unscrupulous move? Not quite. Was Lups in the wrong for declining? Absolutely not, in my humble opinion.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #241
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I have never, ever seen a dealer add markup to an ordered car.

Never. I would have reacted the same way Lups did.

Was it an unscrupulous move? Not quite. Was Lups in the wrong for declining? Absolutely not, in my humble opinion.
True, the markups I have seen had been applied to car that are already on dealers' lot, ready for a customer to take home that day. The possibility to take a car home that is in high demand that very day is what makes people willingly to pay the markup.

The dealership pulled something like this is probably because nothing was written down, and now that the car was actually going to be delivered in a week or so, it is great time to mark it up.
      08-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #242
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah
Quote:
You're confused. They were asking 5 above msrp. That's the story
Appreciate 0