Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #23
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Good post. All this info is out there, going back to the E9X days, but this makes it easier since it's all in one place, especially now that the F8X will only be offered with the HK system.

I'll make a few comments:
I believe MoBridge makes a unit now that does DSP; you get very nice parametric EQ, time alignment, level control, etc, so that eliminates the need of a piece of gear. MoBridge-->amps.
If recoding to HiFi, you have accept the risk that it can, and likely will, be coded back if the dealer needs to do something like a large software update.
While I agree that running cables from the head unit to the back is relatively simple, to do it cleanly would require removing a lot of trim, and is much more labor intensive than the BavSound mid/tweet upgrade.
I think the way Dave did his system is a great compromise. And make no mistake, his low end is just about as good as it gets for our cars, without making significant modifications (some of which are not reversible), or a lot of custom work. The JL 10W6v3 is truly an SQL sub, meaning it reproduces faily accurate, tight bass and has good output. Noticeably better than other options out there for our cars.
Logic7 in these cars is not just highly overrated, it's pure garbage. A decent stereo reproduction is worlds better, even for movies.
The BimmerTech amp is great.
It's really not that hard to upgrade the HK system, just costly. But completely worth it. Even at 5k, you'll get more bang for your buck than a lot of other upgrades, IMHO.
The cubby under the trunk floor seems like a gift from BMW for people wanting to upgrade the audio. It's a great place to put equipment, and it's right next to the battery
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #24
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
While most people actually would be able to do that (it's pretty simple, really), most people think they don't have the skills to do so, and would not want to try.

You are right, the bimmertech amp and speaker would cost less than 3k, but I think people that are asking are looking to keep the entire soundstage (including the 7.2) and that will cost significantly more than 3k. That's looking at the moBridge DSP to get the signals, two amps to power the speakers and new speakers (even just the BavSound speaker option), and that doesn't even count the cost of anything to improve the bass. Because you know I'm all about that bass, about that bass, no treble...
You won't be able to keep logic7 if you do the mobridge preamp. You will need to add a DSP( Helix, DSP). That's the heart of a GREAT sounding system.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #25
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Good post. All this info is out there, going back to the E9X days, but this makes it easier since it's all in one place, especially now that the F8X will only be offered with the HK system.

I'll make a few comments:
I believe MoBridge makes a unit now that does DSP; you get very nice parametric EQ, time alignment, level control, etc, so that eliminates the need of a piece of gear. MoBridge-->amps.
If recoding to HiFi, you have accept the risk that it can, and likely will, be coded back if the dealer needs to do something like a large software update.
While I agree that running cables from the head unit to the back is relatively simple, to do it cleanly would require removing a lot of trim, and is much more labor intensive than the BavSound mid/tweet upgrade.
I think the way Dave did his system is a great compromise. And make no mistake, his low end is just about as good as it gets for our cars, without making significant modifications (some of which are not reversible), or a lot of custom work. The JL 10W6v3 is truly an SQL sub, meaning it reproduces faily accurate, tight bass and has good output. Noticeably better than other options out there for our cars.
Logic7 in these cars is not just highly overrated, it's pure garbage. A decent stereo reproduction is worlds better, even for movies.
The BimmerTech amp is great.
It's really not that hard to upgrade the HK system, just costly. But completely worth it. Even at 5k, you'll get more bang for your buck than a lot of other upgrades, IMHO.
The cubby under the trunk floor seems like a gift from BMW for people wanting to upgrade the audio. It's a great place to put equipment, and it's right next to the battery
Thanks. I thought it was valuable to condense all the knowledge into one place. I have updated the original post to reflect some of the considerations you raise above. Especially like the gift statement - that's so true!
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #26
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson29 View Post
You won't be able to keep logic7 if you do the mobridge preamp. You will need to add a DSP( Helix, DSP). That's the heart of a GREAT sounding system.
Thanks - I was unaware that these DSP's offered Logic 7. I guess it makes sense.
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #27
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Having completely wired my previous e46 with a complete custom solution and my own harness, I agree with all that this is not within the reach of most people in this forum. I believe that the solution that Dave 90TT did in his car is the best next upgrade to do, it will be my route along with upgrading only the front stereo speakers from bavaudio and the underseat woofers as I don't care about the centre and rears, my fader is all the way up front and am only interested in stereo listening.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #28
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Updated the OP with some schematics of the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #29
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr
Updated the OP with some schematics of the HK system.
If you'd like I can provide a pdf from Rheingold with the wiring diagram and pin outs, ... It would print better than the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #30
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
If you'd like I can provide a pdf from Rheingold with the wiring diagram and pin outs, ... It would print better than the pictures.
That would be awesome! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #31
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Ok I spoke too fast... SSP (wiring diagrams) in Rheingold can't print, seems to be a bug... But I found some interesting docs I attached, and made a screenshot of the wiring for our F8x platform since the pic you had was for F30.

Last edited by aboulfad; 01-07-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #32
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok I spoke too fast... SSP (wiring diagrams) in Rheingold can't print, seems to be a bug... But I found some interesting docs I attached, and made a screenshot of the wiring for our F8x platform since the pic you had was for F30.

I can remove these docs from my posts if you want to consolidate everything in your OP. Pic has to be converted to pdf so I can upload it here ...
Cool stuff - thanks! What is Rheingold? I have never heard of it before. I updated the OP to include your 4 PDF as well as some corrections to the text that conflicted with some of the data from the Top Hi Fi Amp PDF.

Last edited by vonmayr; 01-07-2016 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #33
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Rheingold (ISTA/D) is THE diagnostics software for the F series platform. It allows to retrieve/clear/diagnose faults, control/initialize modules, as well a database of technical information. If you are familiar with coding your car then it's not a hard to use software!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #34
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Very well done vonmayr! This will be an excellent resource, especially since 2016+ Ms in the US now come with HK standard... Reading this makes me VERY happy my M3 came with a base HiFi stereo that was easy to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #35
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Great post! Lots of great info. I went the Mobridge route myself, along with a Bit One and an old school Soundstream reference amp. I like having the time correction to really button down the soundstage. You would swear I'm running a center channel.

Last edited by wkndracr; 02-09-2016 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #36
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr
Great post! Lots of great info. I went the Mobridge route myself, along with a bit one day and an old school Soundstream reference amp. I like having the time correction to really button down the soundstage. You would swear I'm running a center channel.
Any pix of the install?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #37
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
The most cost effective solution is recoding to Hifi, running new wire from radio to trunk and using our amp. You will lose a pair of the rear speakers and center, trust me logic7 is overrated.

Equipment list-

3 way speaker set $800-$1000
Bimmertech amp/dsp $800
Labor and coding-Roughly $600 or DIY.

With this option you can easily add a trunk sub if you want more bass.
This. I cringe every time I see how people are spending thousands on PnP speakers, almost half of which are behind the listeners and have virtually no impact whatsoever on the front stage sound. And then they are still left with the xrappy HK amp and processing, which will never be able to sound great, no matter what speakers you install. All you really need is a good 3-way front set, a good amp and DSP, and you're good to go like Nelson says. This can be done on the cheap, or with very high end equipment, is not a cookie-cutter approach and it gives the perfect platform for a future trunk sub upgrade.
      02-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #38
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
Any pix of the install?
Now that I finally have my sub box done, I was going to put together a short build thread. Stay tuned.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #39
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr View Post
Now that I finally have my sub box done, I was going to put together a short build thread. Stay tuned.
Cool. Can't wait to see.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #40
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
My biggest disappointment in the M4 is the sound system. I agree with the OP that the HK Bavsound (including Ghost subs) is a massive upgrade from stock (I would give stock a lower than a 5/10) but that there is still room for improvement with a new amp/dsp.

I’d like to get the sound closer to my previous car (F10 M5 B&O). I don’t care about bass, and I feel I currently have enough. I’m looking for better clarity, processing, and separation on the highs and mids. If I’m willing to spend ~$2k, is this doable? I ask because most people here seem focused on bass.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #41
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
My biggest disappointment in the M4 is the sound system. I agree with the OP that the HK Bavsound (including Ghost subs) is a massive upgrade from stock (I would give stock a lower than a 5/10) but that there is still room for improvement with a new amp/dsp.

I’d like to get the sound closer to my previous car (F10 M5 B&O). I don’t care about bass, and I feel I currently have enough. I’m looking for better clarity, processing, and separation on the highs and mids. If I’m willing to spend ~$2k, is this doable? I ask because most people here seem focused on bass.
I think you'll need an amp and speaker upgrade, most people start w speakers then move on to amp which for an HK requires some funky equipment. I'd say >2k, maybe 3k?

PS: congrats you have revived a nice thread. FYI since then, printing SSP is ok in ISTA and now there is the online awesome http://newtis.info site!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #42
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think you'll need an amp and speaker upgrade, most people start w speakers then move on to amp which for an HK requires some funky equipment. I'd say >2k, maybe 3k?

PS: congrats you have revived a nice thread. FYI since then, printing SSP is ok in ISTA and now there is the online awesome http://newtis.info site!
I already have Bavsound stage 1 plus ghost subs. Do you think I’d need an additional speaker upgrade? They seemed to be great quality.

Edit: To be clear, I'm looking to spend <$2k on additional upgrades beyond the Bavsound/ghost subwoofer.

Last edited by ZoneLaps; 02-13-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #43
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

I’m thinking about calling a few high end car audio shops to ask about their experience with this thing: http://www.mobridge.us/products/most...p-professional

Seems like that might do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #44
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
I already have Bavsound stage 1 plus ghost subs. Do you think I’d need an additional speaker upgrade? They seemed to be great quality.

Edit: To be clear, I'm looking to spend <$2k on additional upgrades beyond the Bavsound/ghost subwoofer.
I think for a plug and play speakers, the Bavsound are the best and I don’t have them, just from reviews. For amp and other equipment, you have to read here and shop. There were some sponsors that provided key turn solutions and there is a very old thread that had another approach, I’ll try to dig it up.

The product u list above is very interesting, it also uses Burr-Brown DAC, one of the best and it’s compatible w MOST bus. But def ask them if they have done an F8x w HK setup for ur particular HU model. It seems compatible w iDrive 4 only though... I wonder why not for NBT, NBT-EVO?

Last edited by aboulfad; 02-14-2018 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0