BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pet Project Android Auto for IDrive 4-5 APP, No MMI needed.

FYI, this does required an ACTIVE BMWConnected subscription. Works well, def not a full substitute for the MMI but neat if you already have a paid subscription.

New release 1.3

https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAut...ses/tag/1.3rc1

A new version needs to be released to support MyBMW, now that BMW Connected is shutting down this month! There's still a few minor bugs to fix, but here's a Release Candidate:

* MyBMW support, including a trick to help improve the Bluetooth connection reliability
* Brand new tabbed phone interface, with more room to showcase each feature in its own tab
* New Spotify interface for the car, providing global coverart in ID5, library browse support
, and catalog search support
* Notification improvements, including text-to-speech and reply functionality, and bringing back statusbar and popup support for ID5
* Car nav integration to trigger navigation from other phone apps or by pasting an address
* Car Information display similar to the BMW Connected information display, especially helpful for cars that MyBMW doesn't support

Last edited by thestimp; 06-07-2021 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
terahertz162.50
      07-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Version 1.3

This release has taken far too long, but it brings so many new features and is hopefully well worth the wait. The focus was on a new tabbed phone interface, providing room to showcase each feature and to provide self-explanatory guidance text. The Notifications feature received a lot of attention too, but there were a variety of improvements all around:

* MyBMW support, including a trick to improve automatic Bluetooth connection reliability
* Brand new tabbed phone interface, with enough room to showcase each feature in its own tab
* New Spotify interface for the car, providing global coverart in ID5
* Spotify library browse support and catalog search support, contributed by @Ben2356
* Notification improvements, including text-to-speech and reply functionality, and adds statusbar and popup support for ID5
* Car nav integration to trigger navigation from other phone apps, by sharing a destination from Google Maps, or by pasting an address manually
* Car information display similar to the BMW Connected information display, especially helpful for cars that MyBMW currently doesn't support
* 4 new languages: Chinese (Simplified), Hungarian, Japanese, Swedish
* Generally improved reliability and performance
* Countless other contributions from users like you
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Do you have any video clips of this in action? I hate iPhone but am using one since it integrates so well with the car. Before going to an android phone and buying a BMW connected subscription, I would not mind seeing this in action?

Thank you very much for the effort in the development of this.

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #4
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
Do you have any video clips of this in action? I hate iPhone but am using one since it integrates so well with the car. Before going to an android phone and buying a BMW connected subscription, I would not mind seeing this in action?

I will post some pictures/video if I can tonight. If you have an iphone and ID4 you can upgrade to ID5 for $200 and it will have wireless applecar play, which is a much better feature and route to take.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Thanks. I do have an iPhone 12 Pro and NBT EVO , and have fullscreen carplay enabled. But I much prefer Android to IOS and would like an android solution.

I have tried buying the MMI module and it works but it is not great and music is somewhat choppy from time to time. And I am leery of swapping screens for one of those Android headunits as I have a Chinese headunit in my daily driver and it works fine but not great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
I will post some pictures/video if I can tonight. If you have an iPhone and ID4 you can upgrade to ID5 for $200 and it will have wireless apple carplay, which is a much better feature and route to take.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks. I do have an iPhone 12 Pro and NBT EVO , and have fullscreen carplay enabled. But I much prefer Android to IOS and would like an android solution.

I have tried buying the MMI module and it works but it is not great and music is somewhat choppy from time to time. And I am leery of swapping screens for one of those Android headunits as I have a Chinese headunit in my daily driver and it works fine but not great either.
Dont buy a chinese screen/headset all in one feature they are garbage.

the MMI is as good as it gets for android solutions, this AA solution in this thread is strictly for spotify/music apps and the BMW connected app working a little better. Since they are almost the same cost to get working I tell everyone to do the MMI, unless they already have a connected subscription in which case, yeah give it a go.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #7
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

https://imgur.com/a/6xzy6de

Some examples of what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Thank you sir

Appreciate 0