Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Eventuri carbon fiber charge pipe possible to fail?

I am discussing with a friend who design single piece carbon charge pipes, and we started discussion about new eventuri charge pipes, he is profesional in carbon fiber work. I asked him why he not use cnc machine ring same as eventuri and he said eventuri use it because 2 piece of carbon are weld togheter to create a pipe, so without ring when you tight clamp pipe will crack. So this thing make me ask at upgraded turbos and high pressure eventuri will fail?
I am helping him for 100% fitment to his new charge pipes design. He want to desing 2 types of charge pipes, one full carbon(flange also carbon) and one version with aluminium flange and also he follow oem sway carbon texture.
Ps: the red lines where eventuri welding supposed to be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
VeloF1318.00
      09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

You figured it out...

Eventuri CF CPs look so nice BUT they're only rated to 24PSI. I found this out from Kies who called Eventuri to ask.
      09-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
You figured it out...

Eventuri CF CPs look so nice BUT they're only rated to 24PSI. I found this out from Kies who called Eventuri to ask.
Is too low 24 psi, bootmod stage2 map sometimes hit 25 psi...
I am impatient to use my friend one piece charge pipes as it will be ready.
I will choose version with aluminium flange at turbo side for easy fitment
His version is supposed to be stronger and resist upgraded turbos without any problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Bmp'd.!!

"single piece" - no seam?

First off, those who are looking to buy C.F. charge pipes do not have "performance" as their top priority!

The reason Eventuri uses dual (Al.) flanges - separate from the pipes themselves, is because of the engines'
movement under load. The type of silicone couplers used can play a part here as well.

The weld(s) (one or two pieces) are not necessarily the reason why these may crack under lateral pressure.
The properties of Carbon Fiber's elemental structure and it's actual lay out play a major role.

As an example of the latter - Take a look at "forged" () carbon fiber.

What is your friends target psi? Let us know who your friend is and his progress.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trevorstein; 09-26-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
Is too low 24 psi, bootmod stage2 map sometimes hit 25 psi...
The issue for Eventuri CF is both the coupler welds and also how they're made (moulded).

If you're going to make CF pipes make a hollow rubber mould of the inside of stock CPs, then make a hard form of the outside of the stock CPs. Make the rubber mould inflatable. Use the rubber mold as a form for the wet CF, then clamp it in the outer form, and inflate the rubber. This will squeeze strong "full wrap" CF against the form and replicate the factory pathway. Another thought...before wet wrapping you could insert steel rings inside the TMIC coupler and an o-ring coupler (turbo connector) on the turbo side for strength and easy connections. Doing the hand-wrap method with multi crisscross pattern you can probably hold high PSI boost without popping.

Personally I prefer silicone tubes. No bling but NO heat soak from turbos to TMIC. I'm a power hog, bling comes second.
      09-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The issue for Eventuri … the coupler welds... .

??

09-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Quote:
The issue for Eventuri … the coupler welds... .
??
Where the metal inserts are inside the CF on the turbo end. Heat cycling on those rings (expand/contract) can't be the best for stuff CF. That's probably why they use silicone couplers on the turbo end. If it were me I would CNC a finned metal turbo end grooved collar with some sort of hi-temp epoxy glue. This way the fins bleed off heat, and the epoxy insulated the CF from the metal.

Sorry if this is too much. I work for German Engineering so we always seem to go a little too far.
      09-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Guys, eventuri produce half pipes separetly and then glue them togheter, thats the main reason for that metals at the ends, without them when you tight clamps it crack. Thats why eventuri rate that low pressure because will crack in the others places where carbon pieces are welded. My buddy said something very high pressure, i don’t want to talk before tests, what i can say we will test pipes at ~5 bars and we will try to add heat(100degrees celsius) and test them also at pressure. C-mon is carbon, is suposed to be stronger than aluminium charge pipe...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

There is no issue here.

There have been no reported (AFAIK) incidents of failure with Eventuris C.F. Charge Pipes!

We're talking design/engineering - In theory! Most everything can be improved upon, on paper.

Cheers!

09-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

I just feel Eventuri components are merely for looks and not performance related mods, can't see myself shelling my hard earned money just to see teh same failure rate as stock pipes. that just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11482.50
      09-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
I just feel Eventuri components are merely for looks and not performance related mods, can't see myself shelling my hard earned money just to see teh same failure rate as stock pipes. that just my 2 cents.

I hear you!

Again, C.F. parts that aren't structural or weight saving related are not necessarily performance/track parts.

As far as "failure rate(s)" go, I haven't seen any such metric being studied and/or published for stock charge
pipes, much less for (specifically) Eventuri charge pipes.

This is staring to sound like a Russian blog thread.

And, that's Just my $0.02

Cheers!

09-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #12
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
To be honest I learnt my lesson after my first eventuri intake.

Fitment was average at best.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 05:59 AM   #13
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post

The reason Eventuri uses dual (Al.) flanges - separate from the pipes themselves, is because of the engines' movement under load. The type of silicone couplers used can play a part here as well.
Maybe I'm missing your point but the turbos and charge cooler are bolted to the engine so everything rocks in unison.
      09-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point but the turbos and charge cooler are bolted to the engine so everything rocks in unison.
I would presume so but, the actual dynamics inside the engine bay may vary.

This is what I was told by Eventuri during their testing phase.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trevorstein; 09-27-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #15
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
To be honest I learnt my lesson after my first eventuri intake.

Fitment was average at best.
Ok., "fitment" is another issue.

Was the intake (Not - charge pipes) you received subject to failure?

If so, did you contact Eventuri?

05-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #16
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Imola Red 6MT

Quote:
You figured it out...

TopJimmy I believe my friend is running into this issue right now.

We installed Eventuri CPs and V2 intakes (absolute PITA to install - cannot emphasize that enough. It looks nice and fits perfectly ONCE INSTALLED, but the installation itself took longer than swapping his downpipes - dual silicone couplers with a "by design it's loose" aluminum flange is a poor design, IMO), flashed BM3 stage 2.

His CPs have blown off / out of the couplers 4 times now in two days on the stage 2 map (even once on a CS map). And yes, the clamps are all tight.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 08:06 PM   #17
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedSUV View Post
Quote:
You figured it out...

We installed Eventuri CPs and V2 intakes (absolute PITA to install - cannot emphasize that enough. It looks nice and fits perfectly ONCE INSTALLED, but the installation itself took longer than swapping his downpipes - dual silicone couplers with a "by design it's loose" aluminum flange is a poor design, IMO), flashed BM3 stage 2.

His CPs have blown off / out of the couplers 4 times now in two days on the stage 2 map (even once on a CS map). And yes, the clamps are all tight.
Maybe clean the couplers and all ends with rubbing alcohol. Also use your factory Norma clamps, they can be cranked really tight.
      10-01-2022, 05:57 AM   #18
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
I am helping him for 100% fitment to his new charge pipes design. He want to desing 2 types of charge pipes, one full carbon(flange also carbon) and one version with aluminium flange and also he follow oem sway carbon texture.
Did this come to life?
      10-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #19
Bassmaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M4 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordm4 View Post

I installed the Eventuri Charge pipes and the V2 intake and found it fairly easy to do both. fitment was great...quality outstanding. The hardest part for me was removing the front grills for the carbon ducting inserts.

Last edited by Bassmaster; 10-01-2022 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 11:19 AM   #20
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
I've had these for quite some time with my previous build + aftermarket turbos and they worked flawlessly. Now, on my new replacement stock engine with stock turbos, I've blown them out of the coupler 4 times in 2 days.

Update: I reached out to Eventuri and they stated these charge pipes are tested to 5 bar and can handle it (way more than 24PSI). I was told to check the installation. I've taken them off so many times I'm sure it's not the install but perhaps it's basic clamps. I asked and was told that the lower clamps are 32-50mm and the lower silicone couplers are 42mm end to end (despite the tapering). I upgraded my upper clamps with v-bands for aesthetic reasons but I know they work better so I'll probably do the same for the lower to see if that helps. When I find some that fit with that flange without contact I'll share back for those who may be curious.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 04-03-2023 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 10:41 PM   #21
Simon P.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C, Bend tuned via Ecutek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
I've had these for quite some time with my previous build + aftermarket turbos and they worked flawlessly. Now, on my new replacement stock engine with stock turbos, I've blown them out of the coupler 4 times in 2 days.

Update: I reached out to Eventuri and they stated these charge pipes are tested to 5 bar and can handle it (way more than 24PSI). I was told to check the installation. I've taken them off so many times I'm sure it's not the install but perhaps it's basic clamps. I asked and was told that the lower clamps are 32-50mm and the lower silicone couplers are 42mm end to end (despite the tapering). I upgraded my upper clamps with v-bands for aesthetic reasons but I know they work better so I'll probably do the same for the lower to see if that helps. When I find some that fit with that flange without contact I'll share back for those who may be curious.
Mine have seen 30+psi on countless occasions and I've never had a problem either. But I agree that replacing the worm clamps with v-bands would be ideal so I appreciate you sharing when you can!
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5458.50
      04-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #22
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P. View Post
Mine have seen 30+psi on countless occasions and I've never had a problem either. But I agree that replacing the worm clamps with v-bands would be ideal so I appreciate you sharing when you can!
Still trying to find the right ones. I ordered a set but the way the flange works (and I suspected this would happen) it interferes with the 'bulkiness' of a vband. I'll keep searching for a better clamp.