BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-26-2018, 03:52 AM   #1
JaseG
England
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 CP

Poor acceleration trait.

I have just popped my M4 in for its first oil service and in the conversation I mentioned that I have observed a hesitation from the engine when accelerating hardish from low speed. I thought that maybe the traction control was intervening, so have been running around with this turned off, but still the hesitation is there.

The reply I received was that it was a trait of the M series engines, and there was nothing to be done about it.

I am thinking that they are giving me a load of bollocks. Has anyone else come across this 'trait'?

BMW F83 (17) / S1000R (17)
Kawasaki H2SX SE+ (20)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Yes doesn't pull cleanly sometimes although I'm not sure if that's down to the gearbox causing it, it's a bit like it needs to clear its throat on occasion.

Doesn't happen all the time and it always pulls strongly but some of the gears are quite long and even with the torque on offer it can lug a bit
      03-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
JaseG
England
Rep

Thank you for the reply.
I will continue to monitor the effect, may even mount a GoPro to try and catch the activity on the dash.

Surely you wouldn't expect the car to be released to the public if there was this intermittent feature.

Kawasaki H2SX SE+ (20)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Early e92 M3s all had a flat spot when they came out at around 3.5k rpm, so yes nothing is perfect.

They have released loads of upgrades to the i-step level since launch some changing the power delivery dramatically on the earlier cars so it's a case of continuous improvement as with all manufacturers.

To be more specific around the occasional issue with mine it's when I'm in a high gear in D1 and go for the loud pedal that can catch the car out and nothing happens for what seems a long time but I think that's transmission related.
      03-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Y8HOO
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Every M car I have owned over the years has the same problem!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseG View Post
I have just popped my M4 in for its first oil service and in the conversation I mentioned that I have observed a hesitation from the engine when accelerating hardish from low speed. I thought that maybe the traction control was intervening, so have been running around with this turned off, but still the hesitation is there.

The reply I received was that it was a trait of the M series engines, and there was nothing to be done about it.

I am thinking that they are giving me a load of bollocks. Has anyone else come across this 'trait'?

I’ll be honest, if your in manual mode in dct with traction control off there should be absolutely no hesitation.

The dct box can be a touch slow if you plant it and the car decides to shift down (kickdown) but that is transmission based not engine.

If in manual mode, or if it is a manual then I disagree mine doesn’t have any hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
JaseG
England
Rep

Well I have just got it her back from the service. They said that I could report it as a defect and they will then have it in for a look, but do not expect any thing from that.

This has only happened in Auto, and not every time. I will continue to monitor it, and probably live with the limitation of the auto box.

Thanks for the comments.

Kawasaki H2SX SE+ (20)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
GaryW 40
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I don't get any hesitation whatsoever from the car when flooring it. The if in auto mode and you floor it, it may be changing down a gear or 2. That could be the reason for the hesitation, bearing in mind it is still a manual gearbox and 2 clutches. An auto box would change quicker as it's just a matter of opening one clutch and closing the next. The DCT has to select a gear then open one clutch and close the next, hence the delay.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 05:05 AM   #9
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:

I believe it is a trait, as is the dreadful kangaroo effect.
The solution is to have the GTS gearbox flash. As near as dam it eliminates both issues.
      03-30-2018, 06:04 AM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW 40 View Post
I don't get any hesitation whatsoever from the car when flooring it. The if in auto mode and you floor it, it may be changing down a gear or 2. That could be the reason for the hesitation, bearing in mind it is still a manual gearbox and 2 clutches. An auto box would change quicker as it's just a matter of opening one clutch and closing the next. The DCT has to select a gear then open one clutch and close the next, hence the delay.
ZF8 boxes suffer from the same hesitation in my experience in fact it's worse.
      04-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #11
L90FRW
Rep
Drives: M4 (2015, manual, Silverstone)

i don't get this at all - about no lag from any revs in any gear, such a responsive engine for a turbocharged one

but i have a manual, so maybe it's to do with the gearbox making it feel hesitant until the clutches couple/decouple? pure speculation, but... I had an R32 DSG that had this trait a little; it hesitated til it found a gear, then picked up abruptly..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #12
ms7
Registered
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Well I have just got it her back from the service. They said that I could report it as a defect and they will then have it in for a look, but do not expect any thing from that.

This has only happened in Auto, and not every time. I will continue to monitor it, and probably live with the limitation of the auto box.

Thanks for the comments.
Did you figure out the problem ?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 02:16 AM   #13
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

I'm running BM3 GTS flash and I can't say I've experienced this issue but I don't know what stock felt like. The GTS flash also helps with engaging reverse gear which can apparently take an age on the stock gearbox settings.

I appreciate not everyone wants to go down the route of messing with engine/gearbox settings.