Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #1013
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
The TopGear system isn't optimised performance wise. Twin 2.5" pipes needs to collect into a 3.5" single not 3" and the Y pipe at the end with the twin tips needs to be a reversed merge collector not a tight U bend the way that's fabricated. It appears with valves closed, the exhaust exits from the RHS and exits from the LHS with valves open so effectively, it's a twin 2.5" system reduced down to a 3" single system that's flow restrictive.
I think, respectfully, you're over analysing from a road car point of view.

A 3" single rear pipe will flow 500bhp ok, the CATs etc are more restrictive than anything else, the cooler back end of a system has a much less restrictive effect than the hotter DP end as gases have cooled, contracted and slowed by then..

And besides who drives round at WOT everywhere? Give me a great sounding car anyday over a few hp, even if that was an issue..

Last edited by doughboy; 05-19-2020 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
MJ6962.50
Kilabyte3942.00
      05-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #1014
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulina View Post
I recently fitted Milltek EL system on my non OPF M2C with stock downpipes and stock secondary cat. I do like the tone of the EL system but it's just bit too raspy for my taste. I have talked to Milltek about the raspiness, and apparently that is not the feedback they have heard. They reckon due to space restraints, it wouldn't be able to get 2 separate silencers on m2. Any suggestions
Here is a drive by video I shot
https://youtu.be/LpfDmNDuqXM
I have also contacted MIlttek about this.

Greetings, i would like to inform you that hearing your equal length exhaust through few clips that are available now on the web i am not very pleased with the sound.
As you are only manufacturer in europe that tried this concept, i am very dissapointed
I don't know why your R&D team didn't decide to merge pipes after equaling lenghts, because that is the trick that makes it sound better and like an inline 6.
Video you made for m4 sounds decent, but still has that buzzines.

And this video is just terrible, makes no benefits of equal lenght audible.

Probably you don't plan another try at this, but alot costumers will probably pass on this sistem, which is sad as you were the first one, especially in europe.

This was response:

The feedback we have received following the release of the Equal length systems has been overwhelmingly positive. Our R&D team put a lot of hours into the redevelopment and tried numerous designs, the final product released was the best design in their opinion for flow and an improvement on sound from the S55 engine and every customer so far has agreed.

Best of luck with your search.

For now it there are no options for Euro (opf) M2C.
I have contacted Remus, but no response.
I really doubt that Akrapovic will make something like this, so for european customers it seems that custom is the only way.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #1015
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Standing revs taken today. The driving video I took never recorded after my 15 min drive. Doh! Tomorrow hopefully I can get one. 😒

05-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #1016
paulina
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in München View Post
I have also contacted MIlttek about this.

Greetings, i would like to inform you that hearing your equal length exhaust through few clips that are available now on the web i am not very pleased with the sound.
As you are only manufacturer in europe that tried this concept, i am very dissapointed
I don't know why your R&D team didn't decide to merge pipes after equaling lenghts, because that is the trick that makes it sound better and like an inline 6.
Video you made for m4 sounds decent, but still has that buzzines.

And this video is just terrible, makes no benefits of equal lenght audible.

Probably you don't plan another try at this, but alot costumers will probably pass on this sistem, which is sad as you were the first one, especially in europe.

This was response:

The feedback we have received following the release of the Equal length systems has been overwhelmingly positive. Our R&D team put a lot of hours into the redevelopment and tried numerous designs, the final product released was the best design in their opinion for flow and an improvement on sound from the S55 engine and every customer so far has agreed.

Best of luck with your search.

For now it there are no options for Euro (opf) M2C.
I have contacted Remus, but no response.
I really doubt that Akrapovic will make something like this, so for european customers it seems that custom is the only way.
My car doesn’t sound like the one in that video. I reckon fit two separate resonator should improve the raspiness
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #1017
4LLBACK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Equal length exhaust

Active Autowerke teased this on their IG story today, could this be the equal length midpipe they have been rumored to be working on to rid the F8x platform of the rasp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #1018
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Probably...I don't know of any other car that would require such a wacky exhaust to achieve equal lengths lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #1019
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I have all the before videos shot, just need to record the after videos and I’ll share it later this week! It sounds great

Here is mine with the diamond black tips

Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3942.00
      05-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #1020
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I wonder why the Milktek EL systems sound better in the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #1021
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
You think so? I thought iPod's video under WOT was the only one where I could hear any actual change in pitch vs a regular length exhaust. Kind of a blend which makes sense given the routing. The milltek Instagram promo for M2C was terrible in my opinion. Rasp city.
      05-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #1022
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I bet they did those videos with the valves closed. During the video it sounded a lot better closed than open.
      05-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #1023
e36bmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Revolving door of BMWs

That is pretty goofy looking. I am curious to get more info on it still.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #1024
VeeralS05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB ZCP ‘17

Can't wait for some pricing and release dates.

Instagram.com/Veeral4Real
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #1025
Mazen189
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LLBACK View Post
Active Autowerke teased this on their IG story today, could this be the equal length midpipe they have been rumored to be working on to rid the F8x platform of the rasp
🥴
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #1026
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
You think so? I thought iPod's video under WOT was the only one where I could hear any actual change in pitch vs a regular length exhaust. Kind of a blend which makes sense given the routing. The milltek Instagram promo for M2C was terrible in my opinion. Rasp city.
I agree. I would never buy it. Sounds like garbage (like my car) until revs get pretty high, until then it sounds unequal length.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #1027
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

That’s a weird looking trombone
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #1028
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Call me crazy, but ntg44 I almost think your v2 exhaust on the first page of this thread sounds better than the TGM production version...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #1029
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

these exhausts are nice. but i think the topgear (TGM) equal length setup was $3700 or something. But thats a MP + catback system.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1709896

if this midpipe can replicate that sound for like $1000 or something... i'm in.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:21 AM   #1030
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
And besides who drives round at WOT everywhere?
After I get mine installed, I might be.
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      05-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #1031
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Call me crazy, but ntg44 I almost think your v2 exhaust on the first page of this thread sounds better than the TGM production version...
Nah, not crazy, it's all personal preference.

The reason for the 2 systems sounding different is the length of merge. Compared to my V2, the TGM system is designed for performance, so the bends are positioned more towards the back of the car vs. the side like my V2, and the valve is positioned as a muffler bypass with a short, straight through exit after about an 8 inch merge. The muffler exit is really only there for stealth mode when you need it. My V2 in comparison, is a single exit going through a muffler with about 3.5 ft of merge, and the long merge is what makes V2 sound the way it does.

Between V2 and TGM system, I can honestly say TGM sounds so much better in person it's not even close. There are a number of reasons for this, but the main one was that as much as I loved the V2 tone, it had this "whooshing" noise which can be heard on WOT (easy to hear what I'm talking about in the bumper cam footage). This whoosh also took over the majority of the sound heard inside the car, so while light throttle gave it that smooth sound, it kind of got lost when it mattered most.

The TGM system does not have this whoosh, and light throttle gives it the same tone as my V2, just louder. Under WOT, the tone gets a little gnarlier and less smooth, but from inside the car you don't hear that. From inside the car, you hear something much closer to my fly-by videos, a high pitched, smoothly ascending tone. It's awesome.

Also, I'm kind of jumping the gun here, but if you've been following me on Instagram, you'd know that TGM recently fabbed up a new V3 of my original design after the first batch of production units shipped. I was purposely waiting until I had sound clips to post it on here, but the rain in Chicago has been brutal the past 4 days, and this seems like a good opportunity to show it to you all. I've attached a photo for you to check it out. It's a remade dual exit version of my V2 with different size muffler/resonators. I'll update my first post in this thread and with all the specs and post an update once I have clips. Any questions let me know
Attached Images

Last edited by ntg44; 05-20-2020 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #1032
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
After I get mine installed, I might be.
Can vouch, you definitely will be .
      05-20-2020, 06:22 AM   #1033
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Nah, not crazy, it's all personal preference.

Also, I'm kind of jumping the gun here, but if you've been following me on Instagram, you'd know that TGM recently fabbed up a new V3 of my original design after the first batch of production units shipped. I was purposely waiting until I had sound clips to post it on here, but the rain in Chicago has been brutal the past 4 days, and this seems like a good opportunity to show it to you all. I've attached a photo for you to check it out. It's a remade dual exit version of my V2 with different size muffler/resonators. I'll update my first post in this thread and with all the specs and post an update once I have clips. Any question let me know
Is TGM planning to offer the V3?

(BTW, thanks again for contributing to this effort. You’re the real MVP for supplying the test mule.)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #1034
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Is TGM planning to offer the V3?

(BTW, thanks again for contributing to this effort. You’re the real MVP for supplying the test mule.)
No, this is just a custom job for me. It's extremely tight, has no valve, and really isn't optimized for power. The extra bends and passing through the muffler don't help. It's just for tone.

For some back story, the only reason V3 happened was because as amazing as the production system is, I missed my single exit (for real, judge away ). I was going to fill in the other side of the diffuser and try to make a valved single exit. TGM did everything they could to push the merge more towards the front of the car, but in the end, I had a decision to make. Due to the packaging limitations, my options were:

- A valved single exit that sounded just like TGM system (pointless).

- A dual exit that was valved but basically the same as production system and less efficient (also pointless).

- Remake V2 all over again (also pointless)

- Make a dual exit version of V2 and play with the muffler/resonator sizes

The last option made the most sense to try something new, and would be easiest to sell later on, so I just decided to go with that. But in my opinion this has limited appeal, since it doesn't have a valve, isn't very efficient, and the tolerances for the rear section would be too tight for TGM to execute on a production level. I also need to play around with the muffler/resonator sizes still to fine tune the tone a bit, but the meat and potatoes are there .