Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #2069
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Sounds good, makes my non res EL MPE sound like a truck
Are you still trying to procure resonated sections? After all this time?
      04-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #2070
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
I'm surprised there aren't any other EL mid pipe options yet! With AA increasing the price and delays I feel like there's good opportunity for some competition. Trying to hold out to see what else hits the market but sound clips are sounding good!
The only other option would be what spool twice did with the U bend, and even that's a tight fit to make it actually modular instead of custom fabricated. Otherwise there really isn't any other way to package it. I posted a long time ago in the OG thread before this one about crossing over the pipes in the beginning of the mid section when I was experimenting, and I didn't think it could be done, but AA did it with the EL mid.

The point is, the packaging is the hardest problem to solve. Look at all the bends AA had to pull off to make it modular. The only other simple option for a mid section is spool twice's, but nobody's been able to make a cut and clamp mid pipe so far from that design. The only other option left is a full cat back like TGM or Valvetronic, which merges to a single pipe then branches out again, but that gives a different tone than AA EL does. Pick your favorite from the 2 designs really.

I'd mention Milltek but they just did not get the point of EL merge before entering muffler. They took the easy route that does not work, that's why there's minimal difference vs. any other non-EL type exhaust system.
      04-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #2071
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Are you still trying to procure resonated sections? After all this time?
I keep talking about it I'd like to hear it with resonators, I know that I will like the sound and not the volume. Inside it sounds glorious, then I rewatch my vid lol. I already fold one rear seat down because with the windows up it's too quiet inside

S55, 2JZ, M48.00

Last edited by Kilabyte; 04-07-2021 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #2072
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

Just a thought experiment I had, after the EL mid pipe, where the x pipe is, combine the two pipes into one 3 inch/3.5 single with a Vibrant Resonator that’s one single out the back. Only issue I can see is that’s a big pipe next to the differential. But I wonder how that would sound, if it would be more N54/N55 like. 🤔
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #2073
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyM56 View Post
Just a thought experiment I had, after the EL mid pipe, where the x pipe is, combine the two pipes into one 3 inch/3.5 single with a Vibrant Resonator that’s one single out the back. Only issue I can see is that’s a big pipe next to the differential. But I wonder how that would sound, if it would be more N54/N55 like. ��
HmmmmMmmmmmmmm. Got me thinking of things.
Appreciate 1
TimmyM56241.50
      04-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #2074
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Just a thought experiment I had, after the EL mid pipe, where the x pipe is, combine the two pipes into one 3 inch/3.5 single with a Vibrant Resonator that’s one single out the back. Only issue I can see is that’s a big pipe next to the differential. But I wonder how that would sound, if it would be more N54/N55 like. 🤔
I think you could maybe do something like this if the X is after the diff - similar to Spool Twice’s DIY U Bend EL Midpipe (which sounded phenomenal in his vids IMO) Doubt you could use the stock muffler with this tho
TimmyM56241.50
      04-07-2021, 12:14 AM   #2075
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I think you could maybe do something like this if the X is after the diff - similar to Spool Twice’s DIY U Bend EL Midpipe (which sounded phenomenal in his vids IMO) Doubt you could use the stock muffler with this tho
I was thinking the 2-to-1 right where the ball clamps are and follow it back to the rear diffuser. Something along the lines of what RMDZidane did with the first EL exhaust setup, and similar to spool twice as well.

Something similar to the Valvetronic kit how it goes 2-to-1 at the end. I wouldn't mind not using the stock muffler personally, hell I'd run dual tips and confuse all the 335i guys lmao.

The only problem I see is that even though it's been a week since I was under my car, I don't remember how much more space there is for a bigger pipe since 3 or 3.5" is quite large. But for example, AWE fit dual 3" for their track exhaust so maybe it can be done.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #2076
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Been there, done that. Post #3 of this thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...97&postcount=3

Single pipe gives the smoothest tone, it was my personal preference. I eventually made it into a single pipe/dual exit non valved system, which ended up being my favorite. Attached a photo.
Attached Images

RugbyBro7601.50
TimmyM56241.50
      04-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #2077
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Been there, done that. Post #3 of this thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...97&postcount=3

Single pipe gives the smoothest tone, it was my personal preference. I eventually made it into a single pipe/dual exit non valved system, which ended up being my favorite. Attached a photo.
Thanks for the reply. Yup, I remember that whole thread from the beginning when you guys figured out the bend lengths and all that. I even saved those pictures on my computer of the pipes for a fabricator to make, before the AA drop in solution came in and I went that way. Honestly I thank you and others for doing that hard work beforehand, I never thought the S55 would sound good, and I would have bought an N55 M2 instead of getting my M4 and the promise of a possible good sound.

The Single pipe I think does produce the best tone to I agree. It’s interesting to be how the Valvetronic kit sounds more “JDM-like” than the custom exhaust you made and the TGM that was also sold. I’ll get under my car and do some measuring this weekend. One thing I noticed definitely is that the sound from a YouTube video sound much different than in real life, so always something for personally me to consider.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #2078
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

I'm still trying to see if anyone has done a Resonated Equal Length Midpipe paired with Catless Downpipes and no muffler. Catless downpipe with the resonated midpipe sounds great, but still needs some more volume, even when paired with a Remus or Dinan Axle-Back. Somebody needs to mate the AWE Race Axleback so we can all see what it sounds like. I think Catless Downpipes, Resonated Equal-Length Midpipe, and the AWE Race Axleback (not the switchpath) would be the best exhaust setup on the twin-turbo S55 engine while maintaining tone and pitch, but optimizing volume, weight, temperatures, and power.
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:02 AM   #2079
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
I'm still trying to see if anyone has done a Resonated Equal Length Midpipe paired with Catless Downpipes and no muffler. Catless downpipe with the resonated midpipe sounds great, but still needs some more volume, even when paired with a Remus or Dinan Axle-Back. Somebody needs to mate the AWE Race Axleback so we can all see what it sounds like. I think Catless Downpipes, Resonated Equal-Length Midpipe, and the AWE Race Axleback (not the switchpath) would be the best exhaust setup on the twin-turbo S55 engine while maintaining tone and pitch, but optimizing volume, weight, temperatures, and power.
As I am all for science I will start a gofundme in the morning to fulfill this goal, who's in?

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 03:47 AM   #2080
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
As I am all for science I will start a gofundme in the morning to fulfill this goal, who's in?
You could try and contact AWE Tuning and see if they have any spare rear components of their F8X AWE Race Exhaust lying around. The full catback system from AWE costs a little less than many of the axleback options on the market.
previous
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #2081
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If how I'm understanding this is correct, catless downpipes, a resonated midpipe, and straight pipe muffler will sound like complete garbage. Like a Nissan VQ with straight pipes.
      04-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #2082
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
If how I'm understanding this is correct, catless downpipes, a resonated midpipe, and straight pipe muffler will sound like complete garbage. Like a Nissan VQ with straight pipes.
I think it'll be very raspy and loud (not the good kind of loud )

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #2083
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Just an update from my end. I am still awaiting an ETA ship date for my AA EL midpipe (non-resonated). I reached out to AA via email, no response yet. I reached out to the reseller twice, they basically said they have nothing to report until AA tells them something.

I get it. But it just sucks to basically be blown off when you order a product on February 4th, are told end of March, and now it could be May.

They either need to be way more transparent about delays or drastically improve their customer service. I can imagine they get several canceled orders due to delays.

Were all the raw materials stuck on the Suez Canal or something?! (joke)
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 1
Insane435476.50
      04-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #2084
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
Just an update from my end. I am still awaiting an ETA ship date for my AA EL midpipe (non-resonated). I reached out to AA via email, no response yet. I reached out to the reseller twice, they basically said they have nothing to report until AA tells them something.

I get it. But it just sucks to basically be blown off when you order a product on February 4th, are told end of March, and now it could be May.

They either need to be way more transparent about delays or drastically improve their customer service. I can imagine they get several canceled orders due to delays.

Did you get it from us? If so dm me your order number

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #2085
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Did you get it from us? If so dm me your order number
Unfortunately no. But I appreciate the concern.

I should also clarify my gripe really isn't with the reseller... it's Active Autowerke themselves. Obviously they create extremely popular, great quality products. But this whole equal length product purchase experience has been real bad, and I'm not the only one. I know I could buy a single pipe from AA and get it within days, but that's not what I want to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #2086
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:

its been almost a year now and they still havent figured out their mfg issues. not sure how thats possible (yes whiny customer here)
Appreciate 1
Insane435476.50
      04-09-2021, 04:35 PM   #2087
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
I just called Active. "Mid to late April" I should expect. I really hope that's accurate, the guy kind of sounded like he was making it up on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #2088
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just an idea, thanks for the response. If anybody were to know about how an exhaust would sound on this platform, it would be you. I think for the current time being in my opinion (since sound is subjective) Catless DP, Resonated Equal Length Midpipe, and Dinan Muffler. It's a full stainless setup providing no rasp, Remus Muffler sounds good but it is titanium which gives off a different tone which on this platform. Titanium just makes the S55 sound really raspy.
previous
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #2089
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just an idea, thanks for the response. If anybody were to know about how an exhaust would sound on this platform, it would be you. I think for the current time being in my opinion (since sound is subjective) Catless DP, Resonated Equal Length Midpipe, and Dinan Muffler. It's a full stainless setup providing no rasp, Remus Muffler sounds good but it is titanium which gives off a different tone which on this platform. Titanium just makes the S55 sound really raspy.

I apologize if my reply came off as condescending, wasn't meant to. It was just to emphasize how bad of an idea that would be and save you the trouble .

What you described most likely will sound fantastic. Although I will say, the vanilla S55 exhausts conceal a lot of rasp with the tone. EL makes the rasp much more noticeable due to the exhaust pitch being much more pronounced. After the many tests I've done with TGM, catted or resonated downpipes are in general my recommendation with any EL system. I wouldn't drive with anything else if it was my car. I spent a lot of money figuring these details out so the rest of you don't need to
      04-11-2021, 07:33 AM   #2090
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately no. But I appreciate the concern.

I should also clarify my gripe really isn't with the reseller... it's Active Autowerke themselves. Obviously they create extremely popular, great quality products. But this whole equal length product purchase experience has been real bad, and I'm not the only one. I know I could buy a single pipe from AA and get it within days, but that's not what I want to do.
Unless its in stock, I feel like I always have poor production timeline experiences by exhaust manufactures. Active Autowerke 50~ days past initial ship time. REMUS shipped wrong exhaust first time around.... and now working with Valvetronic Designs ( Ordered in December and still waiting)

Always fun ~~
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0