EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
NayNay75
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

M4 LCI Headlights Retrofit

Hey there,

I was curious if the pre-LCI headlights and the LCI headlights are a plug and play or you need an updated wiring harness or other things beyond the headlight itself. For reference I have a bmw m4 2016 and wanted to upgrade the headlights to the LCI ones.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
jzhu625
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay75 View Post
Hey there,

I was curious if the pre-LCI headlights and the LCI headlights are a plug and play or you need an updated wiring harness or other things beyond the headlight itself. For reference I have a bmw m4 2016 and wanted to upgrade the headlights to the LCI ones.

Thank you!

from what i remember in reading, you have to connect to the REM in truck as well
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

i did the conversion my self few weeks ago. it requires wiring to two different locations first is trunk all the way up to the right headlight 2nd is the fuse box located in the engine bay Marius has well written instructions with his wiring harness kit on ebay for either the LCI LED Ikon headlights or the gen1 LED headlights. i went from normal Xenon headlights to gen 1LED headlights. it took me a few hours but it was easy once you understand what you are doing. also requires coding right after the install or they will not work.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I was under the impression that if you are going from led to led conversion then it's plug n play and the only thing you had to do was get it coded and unwrap some of the wiring harness on the left side for the cable to reach the plug.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      11-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #5
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
I was under the impression that if you are going from led to led conversion then it's plug n play and the only thing you had to do was get it coded and unwrap some of the wiring harness on the left side for the cable to reach the plug.
That is correct. If you have adaptive LED already it’s plug and play, but coding is needed.

I did this on my car a couple years ago.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      11-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #6
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Partly correct, coding of the FEM is needed to activate the new led's, and the wiring length needs to be adjusted on the RIGHT side. You will be a few inches short, and thus need to remove a few of the plastic wire hold downs attached at the body, and remove some of the fabric electrical tape.
Even after having done all that I accidentally slightly unplugged the harness plug when I was swapping out my SSR intake to go back to stock.
For whatever reason the LCI2 housings do not have the screw hold down for the plug that the LCI's had. It was brilliant in fact, no way to accidentally unplug.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 10:07 PM   #7
xilin1976
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon//m3 View Post
That is correct. If you have adaptive LED already it’s plug and play, but coding is needed.

I have 17 BMW M4 with Pre-LCI LED headlight, but wanna upgrade to LCI LED ones. I have ISTA/D to teach in the new light but not sure how to implement the FEM coding part. Anyone has the writing procedure on Esys coding of FEM or refer me some member here who can do remotely. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #8
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilin1976 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon//m3 View Post

I have 17 BMW M4 with Pre-LCI LED headlight, but wanna upgrade to LCI LED ones. I have ISTA/D to teach in the new light but not sure how to implement the FEM coding part. Anyone has the writing procedure on Esys coding of FEM or refer me some member here who can do remotely. Thanks
Hit up alex@alpinems he coded mine for me. He is also one of the best coders in the game.
Appreciate 0