Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

03-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr

All seasons or mp4s for clowning around

Tires are shot (mpss) and I have a track car already (GTR) so don’t need the maximum grip or acceleration. Would you guys recommend me getting all seasons or mp4s for strictly drifting around corners and the occasional burn outs? For the tree huggers and purists, I live in a place where not many cars are around when I do such things and I have access to private parking lots where such things can be done. Would all seasons be easier to drift since overall speed would be lower and less rpms would be needed to break loose?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojipoji View Post
Tires are shot (mpss) and I have a track car already (GTR) so don’t need the maximum grip or acceleration. Would you guys recommend me getting all seasons or mp4s for strictly drifting around corners and the occasional burn outs? For the tree huggers and purists, I live in a place where not many cars are around when I do such things and I have access to private parking lots where such things can be done. Would all seasons be easier to drift since overall speed would be lower and less rpms would be needed to break loose?
This is kind of a ridiculous question! I mean that in the nicest way.....

Grip is required for drifting, all professional drift cars are setup for maximum grip. Its easy to get the car pointed in the right direction, even when sliding, if you have grippy tires. Try to drive (or imagine) your car sideways/drifting on MPSS tires on snow then slap on some snow tires and do the same, you'll see the grip is good! An m4 has enough power the oversteer the car just with throttle, drifters use methods of flicking their car to break lose, or clutch kicking, or handbrake to get the car lose or a series of those together all while being in control cause they have grip. Also now professional drift cars have 1000hp+ and need grip to put the power down.

If you have the money get good tires they'll burn faster but you'll be safer and be able to push the car more. If you don't want to put out the cash then all season are ok to learn to put the car sideways but are less then ideal if you start pushing the car.

You have an m4, running crappy tires on it is kinda a waste wouldn't you think?
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep

You’re missing the point of my post. My question is wether all seasons are easier to slide/control with than mps4s. I’ve never had all seasons on the f8x and I’m trying to gather what people’s experiences are with all seasons and the f8x platform
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I'm not sure you'll get many response as I don't think many have even considered this, if any at all.
Appreciate 2
mitch32126.50
      03-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You’re missing the point of my post. My question is wether all seasons are easier to slide/control with than mps4s. I’ve never had all seasons on the f8x and I’m trying to gather what people’s experiences are with all seasons and the f8x platform
I thought I answered this clearly already! It will be easier to lose control of the car, so if you want to slide and be in a lower level of control then all seasons is what you want. Letting the back end slide is easy on any tire, controlling it will depend on the tire (more grip = more control, less grip = less control).
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep

Let’s just have you not answer anymore. If I use say r888s, you can’t easily drift around a corner at 20mph. Since they have more grip you need to apply more gas, I.e. more boost and/or you need to take the corner faster. If you lose grip it’s harder/takes longer to get under control because you are taking the same corner faster and are applying more gas and so you need to correct more. So I disagree with your premise that more grip = more control in a drift on the street. Control is based on speed and balance and progressiveness of the tire. Some tires are very progressive when traction is lost and others aren’t.

I digress because youre arguing something that I’m not talking about. So I’ll ask this way. Has anyone had experience with an all season tire and if you do, did you find it more progressive when losing traction than say the mp4s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
I thought I answered this clearly already! It will be easier to lose control of the car, so if you want to slide and be in a lower level of control then all seasons is what you want. Letting the back end slide is easy on any tire, controlling it will depend on the tire (more grip = more control, less grip = less control).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let’s just have you not answer anymore. If I use say r888s, you can’t easily drift around a corner at 20mph. Since they have more grip you need to apply more gas, I.e. more boost and/or you need to take the corner faster. If you lose grip it’s harder/takes longer to get under control because you are taking the same corner faster and are applying more gas and so you need to correct more. So I disagree with your premise that more grip = more control in a drift on the street. Control is based on speed and balance and progressiveness of the tire. Some tires are very progressive when traction is lost and others aren’t.

I digress because youre arguing something that I’m not talking about. So I’ll ask this way. Has anyone had experience with an all season tire and if you do, did you find it more progressive when losing traction than say the mp4s?
I have drifted 1000HP cars, more grip the better, hows that! Kick the clutch those r888 will spin no problem in your M4! If your DCT different story, you'll need to flick it. I find this is a redundant argument, if you want to drift and have no control then get low grip tires. If you want to learn to drift get a lower horsepower car with skinner tires not less grippy tires. M4 is a good car but its a lot to handle if learning, drive in efficient and kick the clutch with good tires that back end will hang lose. If you don't believe me bring me your car on those r888 and I'll show you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Jojipoji
First Lieutenant
Rep

You’re comparing apples to oranges. I’m not drifting a 1000hp car in the street nor am I asking you for your opinions on your “supposed experience drifting 1000hp cars” which we both know is bull sh*t. You’re comments are irrelevant. Like seriously wtf, you been dropped on you’re head that much? But whatever, you do you bro and live in that fantasy world you live in. Does anyone else besides the delusional pro drifter have any experience with all seasons?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Hey buddy, how about this. Go buy some all seasons at $120 a tire and roast em off. If they don't suit your needs, I think you can absorb the cost given your garage consists of at least a GTR and M3.
Appreciate 2
scrammer422.50
      04-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Yes all seasons are easier to induce traction loss in all situations - cornering and straight-line. I've run MPS A/S 3s and BFG G Force Comp 2 A/S (current winters). A/S 3s are better all around performers but the cheaper BFG's might better for low speed hooliganism. I've gotten them to break loose very quickly in MDM to the point where DSC got a bit confused and let the tail hang a lot more than usual. To what extent you can get them in a controlled drift I'm not sure as they can lose traction around corners pretty quick and I don't have spaces to really hang it out full nannies off. Obviously a lot of it depends on pavement quality, temps, etc. I'd say the A/S 3 might be a good compromise for price for performance. In previous threads folks decided to run them year round rather than do the summer/winter swap considering lower price than MPSS or MP4S, longer wear, with 8 to 9ths of the performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #11
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

I thought I had seen it all on this forum. I was wrong.. LOL
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      04-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
How about slather armor all on the treads
just the rears though, as all he wants is to drift. after all, he still needs the fronts to stop
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
How about slather armor all on the treads
Here you go bro saved you a few hundred bucks.

Appreciate 4
Harpinc94.00
danchee136.00
mitch32126.50
alex23642909.50
      04-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #14
JRV-F82-M4
Proud Father of a Univ. of Mich. Chemical Engineer
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Current: '16 F82 M4, Avus Blue, DCT, BavSound, Winters-19" 437s, Summers-19” BBS FI-Rs Past: '13 E92 M3-Jet Black, '12 E92 335is-Space Gray, '06 E90 330i-Jet Black, '99 E46-328i-Green, '96 E36 328is-Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:25 PM   #15
lucascagg
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 6MT

Buy some ironmans. go for the 245/40/19s. Same aspect ratio as 275/35/19 437ms. 86 a tire. People regularly drift on them. Seen c6 drift corvettes go 10 hot laps back to back at apple valley speedway. If they have enough grip for those cars, should be good for an F8X.
Appreciate 0