proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Hey guys,

Just to fill you in:

2017 M3 64k miles, tuned since 47k on OTS flex fuel map, and then CJ tuned via MHD for more than 15k miles with no issues.

Filled up with ethanol last night and did some pulls and one on a 30 degree cold night on E60 (7.69 sec), strong pull. Only about 10 minutes later experienced a drivetrain notification and rough driving. I knew there was a misfire. This morning I thought it would reset. Reflashed tune, and still had a rough idle. Drove to gas station and filled up with 91 and 1 bottle of Chevron Fuel Cleaner. Drove really rough otw back home with white smoke coming out and smelled unburn't fuel. I was advised to have it towed to a shop, but thought about driving it to my friend's shop. My worries are a flooded cylinder or something worse. I ordered x 6 Bosch EU6 injectors, and x1 High pressure fuel pump kit (not sure if I need 2, ugh) from FCP Euro just in case I have a shop do it all at once or tackle it with a friend. I tried resetting the battery by disconnecting only to lock myself out of the trunk. Waiting till tomorrow to try and restart. I'm not sure what to do as I don't have the skills for this job or the money to pay for the worse like fluid leaking into the cylinder from a leaky injector.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Sounds like a rough day.

Well, for starters, I wouldn’t try starting it unless it’s part of the diag process. If you do have a stuck injector that’s just more fuel getting dumped into your oil. Looks to me like it’s just a stuck injector or two and hopefully you’ll be good to go after they get replaced and you do an oil change.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

It's an injector. Just change the one that's bad.

Read:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1783097
      12-16-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Sounds like a rough day.

Well, for starters, I wouldn’t try starting it unless it’s part of the diag process. If you do have a stuck injector that’s just more fuel getting dumped into your oil. Looks to me like it’s just a stuck injector or two and hopefully you’ll be good to go after they get replaced and you do an oil change.
Sounds right. I'm just debating whether I should bring it to an indy shop or do it myself. I'm not a mechanic and I do mess up at times due to inexperience.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #5
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Read:
Thanks TopJimmy. I read that whole post of yours. If I do have a stuck injector/s, will there be fuel leaking into the cylinder/s for sure? I'd be hesitant to start it. And, did you enter through the spark plug chambers to suction out the fuel? Is there anywhere else that fuel needs to be suctioned besides the j-pipe? Honestly, a job like this will cost money. I may consider this myself, but always better to have the pros deal with it. My cars been sitting overnight since being locked out and will reconnect the battery as soon as I have access.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5461.50
      12-16-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachineM3 View Post
Quote:

Read:
Thanks TopJimmy. I read that whole post of yours. If I do have a stuck injector/s, will there be fuel leaking into the cylinder/s for sure? I'd be hesitant to start it. And, did you enter through the spark plug chambers to suction out the fuel? Is there anywhere else that fuel needs to be suctioned besides the j-pipe? Honestly, a job like this will cost money. I may consider this myself, but always better to have the pros deal with it. My cars been sitting overnight since being locked out and will reconnect the battery as soon as I have access.
Yes, yes and no. I used the spark plug as an indicator, suctioned through the plug hole, and only changed the one injector. It's not a hard job. Need new plugs and oil, one Bosch injector, one injector washer, and the install tool. The new injector includes the Teflon gasket so you don't need that. It's a one day driveway job.

Just don't start the car until after you suck out the fuel, change the injector, and change the oil. After the car starts and runs fine I'd change the oil again and the filter.
      12-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, yes and no. I used the spark plug as an indicator, suctioned through the plug hole, and only changed the one injector. It's not a hard job. Need new plugs and oil, one Bosch injector, one injector washer, and the install tool. The new injector includes the Teflon gasket so you don't need that. It's a one day driveway job.
Forgot the low-range torque wrench.

OP, like TopJimmy said, its not a hard job. But seeing as how it deals with fuel I wouldn't fault you in the least for having a shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Forgot the low-range torque wrench.
As long as you can go "hand tight" and not more, then you can skip the inch-pound torque wrench.
      12-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #9
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Braver man than I am. Lol
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #10
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Clear injector.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #11
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So it starts, but has choppy idle. Widh I had the time, experience, and patience, but deciding to have it towed (AAA) to Bavarian Professionals. Ordered injectors from FCP Euro. I thought about running EU5 injectors, but don't know how I feel about having it coded there and then re-tuning with CJ. I was tempted to upgrade turbos and the fuel system, lol, but I need to keep my car reliable and since I have a stock motor. My rear diff is another issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 08:09 PM   #12
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I recommend buying this from this seller,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222577925738

Add 4 oz of it to a full tank, Preferably put this in first so the E-85 Can mix with it. Lubes up the e-85 because the e-85 dries everything out. e60 and above you should be using this

It is what I use running 7.0-7.1x 60-130 Full e-85

People will say 2oz, That's not enough. 3.0-4.0 is what you need.

You wont have injector issues