Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
M2_PLS
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT/2017 Hyundai Azera

coding for airbags

I only have the driver seat changed to a bucket seat so I only need to code for the driver seat. I have the factory belt buckle on, the connector is connected correctly because if I remove the connector I get a secondary code.

So far I coded all the following using ESYS:

Occupancy sensor:
CIS_Beifaher: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Driver seat airbag:
Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

Driver seat position sensor memory:
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer: aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

I read from some other threads that I have to clear the codes using tool32 but I don't know how to do that and I was wondering if someone could help me... I did try clearing the codes using Bootmod3 but that didn't work...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 03:11 AM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Use Esys transmitter.
External applications -> Transmitter -> Connect -> Change address tester to F5 -> Double click to „Clear DCT”
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #3
M2_PLS
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Use Esys transmitter.
External applications -> Transmitter -> Connect -> Change address tester to F5 -> Double click to "Clear DCT"
It seems like im still getting the code even after clearing dtc? Please help!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #4
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_PLS View Post
It seems like im still getting the code even after clearing dtc? Please help!
Something is wrongly coded.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
M2_PLS
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

I was able to remove the other warning light I had but I am still left with the "Driver Restraint System".
Name:  20210426_230432.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  184.5 KB

Name:  20210426_230439.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  180.0 KB

Does anyone know which code I have to deactivate in E-SYS to disable it?

*also, idk why the images are turned 90 degrees when the original file is right-side up just fine. can anyone tell me how I can rotate the image on bimmerpost?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:43 AM   #6
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Did you verify that you have the seat belt harness (should be a white harness plug) plugged into the correct spot of the big yellow seat connector in the floor? There are four spots in that yellow connector: Seat Belt Receptacle/Tensioner (white), Airbag (blue), Seat Position Sensor (grey, passenger side only), and Occupancy Sensor (black, passenger side only). If the seat belt receptacle is not plugged in the correct spot (and in the correct orientation), you will still get that error even with the correct coding AND attempting to clear the codes with either E-Sys or ISTA since the car can't see the seat belt receptacle/tensioner.

Pic below is from my car, the passenger side. For the driver side, assuming you did not use any airbag emulators (which is what I used), you should only have one plug, the white one, in the outer spot as seen in the pic.
Attached Images

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 04-27-2021 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
MR RIZK757.50
      04-27-2021, 12:54 AM   #7
M2_PLS
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Did you verify that you have the seat belt harness (should be a white harness plug) plugged into the correct spot of the big yellow seat connector in the floor? There are four spots in that yellow connector: Seat Belt Receptacle/Tensioner (white), Airbag (blue), Seat Position Sensor (grey, passenger side only), and Occupancy Sensor (black, passenger side only). If the seat belt receptacle is not plugged in the correct spot, you will still get that error even with the correct coding since the car can't see the seat belt receptacle/tensioner.

Pic below is from my car, the passenger side. For the driver side, assuming you did not use any airbag emulators (which is what I used), you should only have one plug, the white one, in the outer spot as seen in the pic.
Quote:
Did you verify that you have the seat belt harness (should be a white harness plug) plugged into the correct spot of the big yellow seat connector in the floor? There are four spots in that yellow connector: Seat Belt Receptacle/Tensioner (white), Airbag (blue), Seat Position Sensor (grey, passenger side only), and Occupancy Sensor (black, passenger side only). If the seat belt receptacle is not plugged in the correct spot, you will still get that error even with the correct coding since the car can't see the seat belt receptacle/tensioner.

I don't recall those plugs being differentiated by different colors but I did plug it into the spot at the very edge of the seat connector... So I'm assuming i did it right but I will double check and get back to you! Thank you so much for the help
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #8
M2_PLS
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't recall those plugs being differentiated by different colors but I did plug it into the spot at the very edge of the seat connector... So I'm assuming i did it right but I will double check and get back to you! Thank you so much for the help
I checked the plug and the seatbelt connector is plugged into the correct position in the harness... I double checked the coding and it was all fine... I read from somewhere on the forum that the e-sys transmitter cant clear ACSM or something and you have to use ISTA or tool32 to clear these codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I checked the plug and the seatbelt connector is plugged into the correct position in the harness... I double checked the coding and it was all fine... I read from somewhere on the forum that the e-sys transmitter cant clear ACSM or something and you have to use ISTA or tool32 to clear these codes?
Not sure about E-Sys. When I had ACSM codes after doing my initial testing with my bucket seats, I cleared them using ISTA without issue...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 07:49 PM   #10
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

If only swapping out the drivers seat does the Occupancy Sensor need to be coded out?

From what I'm understanding is that the occupancy sensor is for passenger seat only. I would like the airbags to deploy on the passenger seat during an incident and I would suspect they wouldn't if the occupancy sensor is disabled.

For a drivers seat install retaining the oem belt receptacle, are the only options that require coding are below?

Is this a correct assumption?

Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer (Driver seat airbag)
Sitzpositionsensor_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor)
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory)
      10-15-2023, 04:03 AM   #11
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
If only swapping out the drivers seat does the Occupancy Sensor need to be coded out?

From what I'm understanding is that the occupancy sensor is for passenger seat only. I would like the airbags to deploy on the passenger seat during an incident and I would suspect they wouldn't if the occupancy sensor is disabled.

For a drivers seat install retaining the oem belt receptacle, are the only options that require coding are below?

Is this a correct assumption?

Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer (Driver seat airbag)
Sitzpositionsensor_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor)
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory)
yes, can be coded out easily
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 04:06 AM   #12
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
yes, can be coded out easily
Can u explain why the passenger seat occupancy sensor needs to be coded out?

Makes no sense to code it out if the oem passenger seat is still retained?
      10-15-2023, 04:52 AM   #13
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Can u explain why the passenger seat occupancy sensor needs to be coded out?

Makes no sense to code it out if the oem passenger seat is still retained?
read the faults, code the things that has faults.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 05:58 AM   #14
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
read the faults, code the things that has faults.
lol, ok be prepared for my call when I break it.

Process of elimination here we come..
      10-18-2023, 03:23 AM   #15
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

kubax86 I installed the drivers seat with oem seat belt receptacle into my M2C and checked the coding's. The only one that I needed to turn off was Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer (Driver seat airbag) in ACSM4 as all the others were already nicht_aktiv.

Cleared the codes and everything seems to be working as expected and no codes or dash lights.

What I don't understand is why Sitzpositionsensor_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor) and Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory) was already nicht_aktiv when the car has seat memory.

Just curious so any insight appreciated.