European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Another MPE user

Finally pulled the trigger, initial impressions are positive. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. Very limited time with it so far.

Valves closed = sounds like stock, maybe a touch deeper? Valves open = everything is louder, much louder. Way more burbles. Upshifts sound different. Downshifts sound...the same? I would definitely recommend you listen to it before you buy...I can see how some people might not like it as it's essentially the same sound as stock, slightly deeper, just much louder. It may not appeal to everybody.

BTW, as I drove away from the dealer and at low speeds around town on the way home, I heard a lot of crackles that sound like little rocks bouncing off the wheel well and/or underside of the car (NOT like the infamous brake issue). It's intermittent. Are these coming from the exhaust? I did drive over some pebbly areas so I wasn't sure if I was kicking up stones or what.

04-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
zfellows
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT SO

My dealer didn't tighten the screws on a couple of the tips and they were rattling at certain RPMs. Try gently applying some rotation to each of the tips and make sure they're snug. Don't be like me and have a tip fall off in a grocery store parking lot before I realized what was wrong.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Thanks for the tip. Checked the tips and everything seems nice and tight.

I'll listen for it some more in the coming days. Doesn't sound like a rattle. More like metallic pops/bangs/bings, just at low speeds. Was super loud the first time I turned out of the dealer lot, seriously thought something fell off the bottom of the car. Don't have a problem with it, just didn't hear it in any of the dozen or so videos I looked at prior.

Either that or I'm kicking up a bunch of gravel LOL.

Last edited by OF Hero; 04-06-2018 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Thanks for the tip. Checked the tips and everything seems nice and tight.

I'll listen for it some more in the coming days. Doesn't sound like a rattle. More like metallic pops/bangs/bings, just at low speeds. Was super loud the first time I turned out of the dealer lot, seriously thought something fell off the bottom of the car. Don't have a problem with it, just didn't hear it in any of the dozen or so videos I looked at prior.

Either that or I'm kicking up a bunch of gravel LOL.

So I just bought a 2015 F82 with MPE and I'm noticing the exact same sounds when I either cold start or if I'm reversing. When I'm in the car, the sound is actually quite loud. I'm about to go to the dealership tomorrow and have them check it or.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #5
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

Good to know. I'm running stock (non-zcp) exhaust with fuses pulled and valves always open. While not perfect, it's plenty loud for my use. If I switched to mpe my plan would be to run valves open as well so not sure what I would gain for the cost based on your review - other than a lot more noise. My biggest gripe is the damn rattling "braaaaat" I hear on heavy load at certain rpm. Based on other write ups sound like it may be waste gate rattle? If exhaust related then that would be my primary reason to upgrade the exhaust but not so sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Kooch i get that same braaat with my non reso remus.. i have actually come to like it now lol. But yeah only happens low down and 1 gear higher
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

I don't agree that it sounds like stock exhaust at all whether value closed or opened. There is big change in tone.
Appreciate 0