Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

12-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
SpeedChamp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 M3

Thumbs up Interesting angle on the M3 CS

Personally, I was also never a huge fan of the F80s, but before you scream at me with hate and call me a troll, I learned to love it over the years. However, the reviewer seems to have somewhat of a point. The F80 is not as radical and feels a lot more compromised than the E90. Just like the E90 wasn't as radical as the E46 I guess. Nevertheless, the F80 does have a nice split personality that works both on the track and on the road (especially with some mods). Sure it's not as aggressive as the NA V8, but still some good fun. I really wonder how much different the CS is though.
It sure as hell looks incredible!

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
From my experience, the power and torque is much more aggressive with the F80 vs the E90's lack of torque.
jlhymb44.00
GERMAN M34181.00
ando2000.50
      12-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

F8X is way more M than the F9X ever was. It's lighter. Faster. Chassis is so good they can bolt the subframe directly to it.

From a subjective standpoint, the F9X is the most slab-sided, boring looking M made to date. No arse to speak of whatsoever.

That V8 is nice (still wet sump), but mated to the wrong car. Just my humble $.50.
ando2000.50
shay2nak1070.00
      12-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Not to mention how much easier it is to unlock far more potential from this motor than with any NA source.

I had an E93 M3 and it would have cost thousands for a supercharger to add enough power to offset the added weight of the convertible. Whereas the recent F83 I bought was just tuned with the bootmod3 stage 1 and the car absolutely flies, like the added weight never existed.

I think a lot of the pining for the E46 and other past models is looking through rose colored glass. Very few would really prefer those cars over today's models if given the choice of the two being offered new at the same time. Case in point...the F80 gets constantly knocked on its exhaust note. Ever really listened to the E46? Sounds like ass too. But somehow that all gets forgotten.

Time does funny things to memory.
Appreciate 4
cotmfk2038.00
Pic18303.50
      12-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep

It'd actually be fun to get a pristine e46 again, add the complete vorsteiner csl bits, and lower it in on a set of 19" BBS LMs. I consider this to be the second best looking M design ever.

Chain saw sound does suck, but easily remedied.
      12-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Not to mention how much easier it is to unlock far more potential from this motor than with any NA source.

I had an E93 M3 and it would have cost thousands for a supercharger to add enough power to offset the added weight of the convertible. Whereas the recent F83 I bought was just tuned with the bootmod3 stage 1 and the car absolutely flies, like the added weight never existed.

I think a lot of the pining for the E46 and other past models is looking through rose colored glass. Very few would really prefer those cars over today's models if given the choice of the two being offered new at the same time. Case in point...the F80 gets constantly knocked on its exhaust note. Ever really listened to the E46? Sounds like ass too. But somehow that all gets forgotten.

Sorry man, but any convertible model I consider to be a hairdresser's car. It runs counter to everything that M stands for.
      12-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
Quote:

Sorry man, but any convertible model I consider to be a hairdresser's car. It runs counter to everything that M stands for.
Except that it was made by the BMW M division, and has been since the first generation E30. Lol.

As for the hairdresser comment, I'll choose not to feed the troll.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Except that it was made by the BMW M division, and has been since the first generation E30. Lol.

As for the hairdresser comment, I'll choose not to feed the troll.
M division includes marketing managers. The Albert Biermanns of the world don't a give a flying f about convertibles.

It's not a personal attack on any owners. The world doesn't revolve around any one person.

Manual savants make the same case against DCT. Air-cooled to water-cooled, solid axles v IFS, etc.
      12-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #9
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I was disappointed the CS does not come in manual. I understand their reasoning, but I may have pulled the trigger if there was a manual option.
      12-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
saveywil1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘21 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
I was disappointed the CS does not come in manual. I understand their reasoning, but I may have pulled the trigger if there was a manual option.
100% agreed. I sat in the dealership torn on this and in the end I wanted the manual so didn't go with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
SpeedChamp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
F8X is way more M than the F9X ever was. It's lighter. Faster. Chassis is so good they can bolt the subframe directly to it.

From a subjective standpoint, the F9X is the most slab-sided, boring looking M made to date. No arse to speak of whatsoever.

That V8 is nice (still wet sump), but mated to the wrong car. Just my humble $.50.
You mean the E9X (not F9X) I assume. Not sure if I completely agree. I thought the first F8X cars were terrible and felt far off from what it was supposed to. The later models (especially competition) feel a lot nicer. Could you imagine the F8X with that V8 making 550 HP? That would be the perfect car, at least to me.

Quote:

Well, but do you want to buy a car because it already comes with a great motor or are you looking for a car to mod the engine? That's the question. I want a 991 GT3 for the engine, not because I want to squeeze more HP out of the car.

E46 sounded much better than the F8X, especially under WOT in my opinion.

And F83? Come on dude... that's not a real ///M. Still nice to cruise around in but ya... The E93 was terribly slow.

Quote:
M division includes marketing managers. The Albert Biermanns of the world don't a give a flying f about convertibles.

It's not a personal attack on any owners. The world doesn't revolve around any one person.

Manual savants make the same case against DCT. Air-cooled to water-cooled, solid axles v IFS, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Agree. It sucks when they offer the hardcore versions and then they don't come in a manual. I think they would have sold far quicker if they had offered a manual option.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:

I respecfully disagree...would buy a new (Euro) E36 M3 today if I could. Going out of the NA engines and keep adding weight/electronic gadgets are the biggest mistakes of the M division...and no the regulations cannot justify everything
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im sorry but i have never been a fan of M E9x, its a very weak car stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2215.50
      02-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
SpeedChamp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
I respecfully disagree...would buy a new (Euro) E36 M3 today if I could. Going out of the NA engines and keep adding weight/electronic gadgets are the biggest mistakes of the M division...and no the regulations cannot justify everything
I totally agree with you! The E36 is also sick. I like E36 through E90 but I understand if purists don't like the E90 anymore because it was already a somewhat digital car and had a pretty big yet not very powerful engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
SpeedChamp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im sorry but i have never been a fan of M E9x, its a very weak car stock
Ya it's not that fast but it's a lot of fun. It's not always about being fast imo. I can have more fun in a lightweight 300 HP car than in a LaFerrari.
Appreciate 0