Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
fim63
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6MT

Are batteries hard to come by?

My car has been in the shop since before Christmas, needing a new battery. It's now almost a month later, and the battery still isn't available. Is this normal? Are M3 batteries that hard to come by?

Fortunately, this looks to be covered under warranty and I do have a loaner. But I'm a bit surprised that it is taking this long to get a battery. I knew that this is an M3/M4-specific part, but I would have thought it would be more available.

For what it's worth, the original problem would come up when the car wasn't driven for a day or two. In that case, the comfort access wouldn't work so I would need to use the remote to unlock the car. The car would then report that the battery was discharging while stopped.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fim63 View Post
My car has been in the shop since before Christmas, needing a new battery. It's now almost a month later, and the battery still isn't available. Is this normal? Are M3 batteries that hard to come by?

Fortunately, this looks to be covered under warranty and I do have a loaner. But I'm a bit surprised that it is taking this long to get a battery. I knew that this is an M3/M4-specific part, but I would have thought it would be more available.

For what it's worth, the original problem would come up when the car wasn't driven for a day or two. In that case, the comfort access wouldn't work so I would need to use the remote to unlock the car. The car would then report that the battery was discharging while stopped.
I had the issue two or three times. One time I got in and was driving the car and noticed I had no heat. I had no errors or nothing either. Took it to the dealership and they said it was discharged to 75% and they recharged it and cleared a fault code and I've been good to go since. That was about a month or so ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Wow. Ridiculous.
See if they’re willing to swap a battery from a car on the lot. They can use the new battery that’s coming from one of the far corners of the earth, on their time.
Appreciate 3
18BMWX5M569.00
lukej387.00
      01-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
fim63
Rep

For my car, the dealership recharged the battery, let the car sit for a couple of days, and reproduced the same issue. So I guess it really needs a new battery.

It does seem ridiculous for a new battery to take this long. What's the expected lifetime for these batteries? Every car is eventually going to need a replacement. Although a special part, I was expecting that BMW would keep them readily available and in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5M View Post
I had the issue two or three times. One time I got in and was driving the car and noticed I had no heat. I had no errors or nothing either. Took it to the dealership and they said it was discharged to 75% and they recharged it and cleared a fault code and I've been good to go since. That was about a month or so ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
fim63
Rep

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I'll see if the new battery comes in the next week or so, as I think I would rather have a brand new battery from BMW. Doesn't hurt to ask, but I am not sure the dealer would be willing to temporarily disable one of their current M4s for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Wow. Ridiculous.
See if they’re willing to swap a battery from a car on the lot. They can use the new battery that’s coming from one of the far corners of the earth, on their time.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For my car, the dealership recharged the battery, let the car sit for a couple of days, and reproduced the same issue. So I guess it really needs a new battery.

It does seem ridiculous for a new battery to take this long. What's the expected lifetime for these batteries? Every car is eventually going to need a replacement. Although a special part, I was expecting that BMW would keep them readily available and in stock.

Quote:
I think 4-6 years or so for these batteries. I caused the issue because my radar detector was plugged in and I guess I had it set to never sleep but the car would turn it off because of the battery draw. I now have a better tender because of it not being driven much due to winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
I think 4-6 years or so for these batteries. I caused the issue because my radar detector was plugged in and I guess I had it set to never sleep but the car would turn it off because of the battery draw. I now have a better tender because of it not being driven much due to winter.

Supposed to be 10 years.

It's a shame nobody offers a rebuild service. I bet you these batteries could be fixed for a few hundred dollars...if that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Quote:

Supposed to be 10 years.

It's a shame nobody offers a rebuild service. I bet you these batteries could be fixed for a few hundred dollars...if that.
Ohhh gotcha 10 years isn't that bad
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
fim63
Rep

Posting an update, in case anyone else encounters this issue.

Finally got my car back, after about six weeks in the shop. BMW did replace the starter battery, but that wasn't the problem. After the battery was replaced, the car was still experiencing battery discharging while stopped.

So they had to pull fuses in turn until they found which fuse was linked to the faulty component causing the battery drain. It turns out that the Telematics Communications Unit had a fault that was causing current draw. After the Telematics Communications Unit was replaced, the problem went away.

And the Lithium Ion battery did take a while to arrive. The dealer doesn't stock these batteries, and it apparently takes a couple of weeks or more to be delivered.

Well, at least I now have a new battery that will hopefully be good for a while.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      02-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:

Finally got my car back, after about six weeks in the shop. BMW did replace the starter battery, but that wasn't the problem. After the battery was replaced, the car was still experiencing battery discharging while stopped.

So they had to pull fuses in turn until they found which fuse was linked to the faulty component causing the battery drain. It turns out that the Telematics Communications Unit had a fault that was causing current draw. After the Telematics Communications Unit was replaced, the problem went away.
Glad that everything is back to normal and that your dealer had the correct diagnostic skill to find and remedy the problem.

I'd do a test call to make sure that your BMW Assist still works, that your car is identified correctly, and the location is correct. Press the button in the overhead console and when the call is answered just tell them that you're doing a test call because your telematics unit was replaced.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #11
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Our batteries, under normal use, are supposed to last 2x the duration of a "normal" battery - meaning ~10 years / ~120-150k miles would be a normal lifetime expectation.

Mine is 5.5 years old, 70k miles, and recently started the car in ~14 degree ambient temps without a hiccup. I drive frequent highway trips which should be keeping it fresh as well. I loathe the day I have to replace it - that SOB is expensive.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Our batteries, under normal use, are supposed to last 2x the duration of a "normal" battery - meaning ~10 years / ~120-150k miles would be a normal lifetime expectation.

Mine is 5.5 years old, 70k miles, and recently started the car in ~14 degree ambient temps without a hiccup. I drive frequent highway trips which should be keeping it fresh as well. I loathe the day I have to replace it - that SOB is expensive.
Hopefully by the time we need to replace there will be cheaper alternatives.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:57 PM   #13
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

no kidding on the expensive part. i think they raised the price on them again because they're now around ~$1600ish or so (i think). I remember looking into this when i found out they were lithium iron batteries 3-4 years ago and they were only about $1000 then.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #14
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

My indie shop says 7 years....

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #15
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

And the Lithium Ion battery did take a while to arrive. The dealer doesn't stock these batteries, and it apparently takes a couple of weeks or more to be delivered.

Well, at least I now have a new battery that will hopefully be good for a while.
So my car has gone back to the dealership because I started getting the increased battery drain message. I had to leave it there because they wanted to update the car and I guess the head unit won't take the update I guess. So I'm hoping the telematics unit isn't bad in my car as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
So my car has gone back to the dealership because I started getting the increased battery drain message. I had to leave it there because they wanted to update the car and I guess the head unit won't take the update I guess. So I'm hoping the telematics unit isn't bad in my car as well.
Hey guys is the telemetric unit issue also causing the yellow emergency call error?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #17
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Quote:
Hey guys is the telemetric unit issue also causing the yellow emergency call error?
I'm not sure what you mean. I know my cars telematics works as I just tested it the other day.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
no kidding on the expensive part. i think they raised the price on them again because they're now around ~$1600ish or so (i think). I remember looking into this when i found out they were lithium iron batteries 3-4 years ago and they were only about $1000 then.
Ugh, that's dissapointing to hear. My car is 5.5 years old now.....I'm getting within the realm of what would be considered to be normal lifespan.