Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
trionalaw
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

2017 M3 software update: states does't recognize USB

I have followed carefully a video on how to upgrade my software.I have the correct software for my VIN.I downloaded it to a USB drive that had been formatted into FAT32.

When I got to the point of the download where I indicated the software was on a USB, I got the message that it did not recognize the USB.The software update is UPD bin file. I noticed in the video that the download file he was referencing was opened and there were several files that were not bin files.

When I try to open the file from the USB. I have two choices: open or save. It will not open. When I save it it saves as of course the same UPD bin file.

I have spent more hours trying to get the file open that it would have cost me to take it to my local computer guys. I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about what to do. I even downloaded a couple of converter files but with them I still have no success.

I am beyond flummoxed. I am to the point of shaving my eyebrow (lovingly known as my Brezhnev because the two grow together) and going with a Mohawk.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Jim Triona
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trionalaw View Post
I have followed carefully a video on how to upgrade my software.I have the correct software for my VIN.I downloaded it to a USB drive that had been formatted into FAT32.

When I got to the point of the download where I indicated the software was on a USB, I got the message that it did not recognize the USB.The software update is UPD bin file. I noticed in the video that the download file he was referencing was opened and there were several files that were not bin files.

When I try to open the file from the USB. I have two choices: open or save. It will not open. When I save it it saves as of course the same UPD bin file.

I have spent more hours trying to get the file open that it would have cost me to take it to my local computer guys. I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about what to do. I even downloaded a couple of converter files but with them I still have no success.

I am beyond flummoxed. I am to the point of shaving my eyebrow (lovingly known as my Brezhnev because the two grow together) and going with a Mohawk.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Jim Triona
Have you tried a different drive? Reformat in FAT32 again and restart?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
trionalaw
Rep

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, N1rve,

I tried it with 2 USB drives I had and then went and bought a souped up SanDisk.

No luck at all. I just cannot understand why I cannot open the upload to check and see if there any files I need to change to bin.

Much appreciated,

Jim
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Do you have like 7zip or something to extract the bin file?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
trionalaw
Rep

Thanks for getting back to me. I have AnyToISO. I also have 19 years of education. So far it has stumped me. I will try again. I am going to watch for the fifth time an instructional video. I also downloaded Anyburn which I haven't yet tried.

I have the USB on the long format. it's not yet finished.

I will be back in touch.

Much appreciated.

Jim Triona
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #6
trionalaw
Rep

With AnyToISo me the when I try to convert it to an ISO it tells bin file is an invalid optical image. Going to look tha one up.

I made someone mad who has who has some extraordinary powers. OOppps, I just remembered: one of my college girlfriends let slip once she was a member of a coven.

Also going yo check out 7zip.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
trionalaw
Rep

Anyburn also says my bin file is is invaled. Checked 7Zip. It doesn't mention bin files.

Going to go and sit in my favorite chair and pout.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

You’ll need to use disk manager to format all partitions as FAT32. There is likely a hidden partition that is causing you all of this trouble and you won’t see it since it’s showing up as a single drive.

Load up disk manager and see if you can collapse any hidden partitions left behind and try formatting to fat32 again.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

.bin files were often used for burning CDs and DVDs. That's why your ISO programs are saying it's an invalid .bin file.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:07 AM   #10
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

My experience with this matter is that if your version is the same as the one in the disk it won't do anything to update. Basically is saying you are up to the version that is on the drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:16 AM   #11
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

The .bin is a binary file as long as it's downloaded correctly without interruption and you've put it on the USB key as an file in the root (not in a folder) then it will be recognised. I wouldn't waste time trying to extract it or open it.

If the update is not relevant or not required it will usually throw an error in the car when you go to apply the update.
Appreciate 0