European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #2421
9M71
Captain
874
Rep
897
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

pictures
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 6
ntg441917.00
SherM4n590.00
swagon5825.50

      11-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #2422
ntg44
Lieutenant Colonel
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1917
Rep
1,680
Posts

Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
pictures
MONEY.
Appreciate 1
9M71873.50

      11-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #2423
M3nmotion18
Lieutenant
M3nmotion18's Avatar
United_States
169
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 MINI COOPER  [0.00]
2011 KIA SORENTO  [0.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
Just picked my car up from the dealer after getting this kit installed. Ride is amazing! I absolutely love it. I was worried that it may be too firm for my liking, but that is not the case whatsoever. As many have said, the ride is compliant and the car feels more planted. I get a chuckle when reading this thread and coming across the folks that say "the car should've come this way from the factory," but that phrase holds true 1000%.

I'm at the BMW recommended ride height for 19" wheels, but am considering going a bit lower. That said, how much can I really expect the springs (and subsequent ride) height to settle within the next few hundred miles? A few mm?
How long was the installation hours at the dealership? I emailed the local dealership that have experience installing this kit and told them the instruction shows around 4.5 hrs of labor but I was told that the installation hour is incorrect? I was quoted 9 hours of labor plus alignment for $1820.00. I'm just curious for an average hours for this kit... Thanks!

Last edited by M3nmotion18; 11-07-2019 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #2424
ntg44
Lieutenant Colonel
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1917
Rep
1,680
Posts

Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Just an update since my first impressions:

Took the car out on a more spirited drive today, and drove along the roads with a little more elevation change under full throttle. And here is where MP HAS limitations are exposed.

I knew this going in, and this has already been discussed at length, but it's true that the stock shocks are the problem here. MP HAS is so much better than my previous MS springs - you definitely get what you pay for here. But you also only get what you pay for by sticking with stock shocks. Echoing many before me, the stock shocks are a tad underdamped. Sure, it's comfortable, but I had to lift off and pucker up on my reference dip where my B16 just ran over it. But even in less extreme cases, traction control just kicks in a lot more often than on the B16 kit, whether the road is flat or mildly bumpy/uneven. In the end, I'd sum it up like this.

- If all you want is to be lower, get MP HAS. You're going to get an essentially stock experience and love it. Don't waste your time on Macht Schnell springs. Can't comment on any other set, but I believe the rears were too low just riding the bump stops, and even with the extra spacers, very crashy.

- If you want a genuine performance improvement you can notice all the time, for the money you can't go wrong with B16 Damptronic if you have EDC and want to keep it. Yes, it's stiffer than MP HAS (Comfort is roughly between Sport and Sport+), but you're getting so much more stability and grip in return.

Now, addressing the elephant in the room: Why would I "downgrade" from B16 Damptronic to MP HAS? Well, I'm not single anymore, and I have more people to drive around than I used to. My wife has been driving a Lexus for the past 15 years, and has a very different idea than I do for what is considered comfortable. I enjoy driving my M3, and I don't want to avoid driving it because she doesn't want to ride in it. In addition, I am kind of setting up my car to be sold easier if/when the time comes. I don't want to limit my potential buyers to only enthusiasts who would appreciate the B16 kit - it's no secret that stock cars sell better since the market is bigger. MP HAS is close enough that I could win over a more casual buyer.

Sorry if it's long, but I hope this helps EDC owners looking for an upgrade to pick the right kit for their goals. My B16 kit is for sale on the classifieds for anyone interested.
Appreciate 5
      11-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #2425
allinon72
Lieutenant Colonel
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
1771
Rep
1,685
Posts

Drives: 20' X3M Competition, 17' X1
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (1)

We'd have to have a serious word with Bilstein if this kit was better than the B16 kit in the handling department.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n590.00

      11-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #2426
Thespaz18
Private First Class
Thespaz18's Avatar
United_States
73
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: McKinney, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nmotion18 View Post
How long was the installation hours at the dealership? I emailed the local dealership that have experience installing this kit and told them the instruction shows around 4.5 hrs of labor but I was told that the installation hour is incorrect? I was quoted 9 hours of labor plus alignment for $1820.00. I'm just curious for an average hours for this kit... Thanks!
I checked my paperwork and labor came to 9.20 hours and just over $1,200 total. The dealer had my car overnight. I opted not to do the $199 alignment at the time of install and wait for the springs to settle. I have since had the alignment done and everything is to my liking.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #2427
M3nmotion18
Lieutenant
M3nmotion18's Avatar
United_States
169
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 MINI COOPER  [0.00]
2011 KIA SORENTO  [0.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
I checked my paperwork and labor came to 9.20 hours and just over $1,200 total. The dealer had my car overnight. I opted not to do the $199 alignment at the time of install and wait for the springs to settle. I have since had the alignment done and everything is to my liking.
Hi,

Thanks for the information!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #2428
gman444
Enlisted Member
gman444's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Edmonton, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Anyone know where I might be able to buy the hardware kit alone?
__________________
F80 ///M3
Mineral White / DCT / M Performance Exhaust / Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #2429
allinon72
Lieutenant Colonel
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
1771
Rep
1,685
Posts

Drives: 20' X3M Competition, 17' X1
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman444 View Post
Anyone know where I might be able to buy the hardware kit alone?
Message getBMWparts on here....I'm sure they'd sell you the kit. It's $65 if you buy it with the HAS kit, might be more on it's own.
Appreciate 1
gman44418.00

      11-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #2430
literbikes
Private First Class
literbikes's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: 2018 G. Telesto M3 w/SO Stitch
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman444 View Post
Anyone know where I might be able to buy the hardware kit alone?
https://www.bmwpartspros.com/

They also have the hardware kit.
Appreciate 1
gman44418.00

      03-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #2431
parabmw
Major
120
Rep
1,007
Posts

Drives: 2018 m4
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

How easy are they to adjust height? Do they need to be removed completely?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #2432
mjames
Private
United_States
26
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
On a non-ZCP car, MP is definitely stiffer which is expected.

You need to update to the latest available software. The end of the instructions state:

- Carry out steering angle adjustment
- Carry out a standard chassis measurement with DIN loading as described in ISTA No. 32 00 150
- Carry out a chassis measurement and adjust using the standard chassis adjustment data

Irrespective of update the software first or last, an ICM calibration is required after work is complete.
I am planning on having a friend's local indy shop install my MP HAS. Dealer is quite far away and will be more expensive. My question is can an indy shop do this software update or am I still going to have to go dealer? '17 F80 ZCP.
__________________
2017 ///M3 - Mineral White / Sakhir Orange full leather - Comp Pkg - Executive Pkg - Lighting Pkg - Driver Assistance Pkg - MP HAS suspension - MP CF rear diffuser

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black / Cinnamon [gone]
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #2433
audioMeth
Major
audioMeth's Avatar
United_States
121
Rep
1,014
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rehoboth, MA

iTrader: (8)

anyone know how large of a press is needed? should 21 inches cover it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #2434
knightarmor
Major
598
Rep
1,183
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioMeth View Post
anyone know how large of a press is needed? should 21 inches cover it?
The one i have has a 27.5" working range and is more than enough. I imagine a 21" working range should be sufficient.
Appreciate 1
audioMeth120.50

      04-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #2435
jmciver
Lieutenant Colonel
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
795
Rep
1,617
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioMeth View Post
anyone know how large of a press is needed? should 21 inches cover it?
People have had success with this basic press from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ess-33497.html
__________________
///M3 COMPETITION 6MT - 2017 F80 Smoked Topaz Metallic
MP-HAS / GC Camber Plates / Carbonstructure Interior / Blackline Tail Lights
X7 XDrive 40i ///M-SPORT - 2020 G07 Arctic Grey Metallic

X3 - 2013 F25 Titanium Silver Metallic (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
audioMeth120.50

      04-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #2436
mjames
Private
United_States
26
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

iTrader: (0)

Can someone clarify if you need the istep/software update before or after the suspension install? And if I have a 2017 F80 ZCP purchased in May 2017, would I likely need a software update?

I plan on getting an indy shop to install it, meaning I'd likely need to take it to the dealer for the software, correct?

I was quote $1152 by indy shop for labor only ... seems high?

I have a call out to my dealer to get their quote.
__________________
2017 ///M3 - Mineral White / Sakhir Orange full leather - Comp Pkg - Executive Pkg - Lighting Pkg - Driver Assistance Pkg - MP HAS suspension - MP CF rear diffuser

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black / Cinnamon [gone]

Last edited by mjames; 04-24-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #2437
figure99
Private First Class
figure99's Avatar
74
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames View Post
Can someone clarify if you need the istep/software update before or after the suspension install? And if I have a 2017 F80 ZCP purchased in May 2017, would I likely need a software update?

I plan on getting an indy shop to install it, meaning I'd likely need to take it to the dealer for the software, correct?

I was quote $1152 by indy shop for labor only ... seems high?

I have a call out to my dealer to get their quote.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you should be good regarding the software version... I believe someone in this thread identified the date of the version required earlier than May 2017 but I couldn't find it.

The cost your shop quoted is on par with what many other shops are charging, but IMO it's still high based on the work required. Are they corner balancing the car as well? I had mine installed for $750 at a BMW dealer that had experience installing this specific kit, haven't had any issues. Many dealers or Indy shops don't have experience with it, so they seem to quote high.
__________________
2009 335i Sedan - ED 12/08 - SG/Oyster, 6-speed MT, Premium, Sport (for sale... eventually)
2018 M3 - MG/Silverstone Full - ZCP, ZEC, DCT
------------------------------------
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #2438
mjames
Private
United_States
26
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure99 View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you should be good regarding the software version... I believe someone in this thread identified the date of the version required earlier than May 2017 but I couldn't find it.

The cost your shop quoted is on par with what many other shops are charging, but IMO it's still high based on the work required. Are they corner balancing the car as well? I had mine installed for $750 at a BMW dealer that had experience installing this specific kit, haven't had any issues. Many dealers or Indy shops don't have experience with it, so they seem to quote high.
I checked my ISTEP version is F020-16-11-502 ... will I need to get this updated before HAS installation, or am I good? Purchased in May 2017. If I need a software update, I will likely just get the whole thing done at the dealer... What I've read is if I don't need ISTEP upgrade, I just need an ICM re-calibration?

Seems like the newest ISTEP is around F020-19-11-538 or close.
__________________
2017 ///M3 - Mineral White / Sakhir Orange full leather - Comp Pkg - Executive Pkg - Lighting Pkg - Driver Assistance Pkg - MP HAS suspension - MP CF rear diffuser

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black / Cinnamon [gone]
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #2439
SocoM3
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Saint Louis

iTrader: (0)

I have been following this thread loosely and recently purchased the MP HAS. I will leave a short follow up of the install and initial driving feel.

The install it self was not very bad, as this was my first time dealing with BMW suspension, I would suggest watching Tommy L. Garage on YouTube as he uploaded the entire DIY a while back. One thing to note, as I did not have a press, I instead went with a hammer like many others and it worked like a charm. I did manage to screw up my front right RAD sensor (new one is on the way, the price of which is still baffling me). Overall the install is something most could do, unless you are wanting to maintain the warranty.

I cannot say much about the driving experience yet as I am waiting for the new sensor to come in so I can use the EDC (currently have the error code "chassis function restricted" due to damaging the sensor). But I can say the steering feels sharper and gives less of an electronic feel. And when driving moderately on day to day roads the car feels great. It is stiffer but not overwhelmingly, and is much more planted and direct. I am looking forward to taking it out on a spirited drive on a nice road once I get the sensor in. Will post an update when I do, along with pictures.

Note: I do have a non-zcp.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #2440
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
998
Rep
2,256
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocoM3 View Post
I have been following this thread loosely and recently purchased the MP HAS. I will leave a short follow up of the install and initial driving feel.

The install it self was not very bad, as this was my first time dealing with BMW suspension, I would suggest watching Tommy L. Garage on YouTube as he uploaded the entire DIY a while back. One thing to note, as I did not have a press, I instead went with a hammer like many others and it worked like a charm. I did manage to screw up my front right RAD sensor (new one is on the way, the price of which is still baffling me). Overall the install is something most could do, unless you are wanting to maintain the warranty.

I cannot say much about the driving experience yet as I am waiting for the new sensor to come in so I can use the EDC (currently have the error code "chassis function restricted" due to damaging the sensor). But I can say the steering feels sharper and gives less of an electronic feel. And when driving moderately on day to day roads the car feels great. It is stiffer but not overwhelmingly, and is much more planted and direct. I am looking forward to taking it out on a spirited drive on a nice road once I get the sensor in. Will post an update when I do, along with pictures.

Note: I do have a non-zcp.
I also just got mine installed (my car does have ZCP) and in my few miles of driving it on regular streets - my impressions are the same - car looks great and feels great! It also seems that traction is a little better as well (won't know for sure until I take it for more spirited drives and get more miles - so maybe that's placebo effect - we'll see)! Either way - love both the tighter feel overall and it looks so much better than the stock wheel gaps...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #2441
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
2515
Rep
4,672
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

MP HAS is still the best money I've spent on my M3

Besides the M3 itself
Appreciate 1
CanAutM313127.00

      05-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #2442
FrozenGT
Second Lieutenant
118
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ashburn VA

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have this kit installed on M2-Competition?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST