Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #1321
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Picked up a Model Y Performance last year for a daily, also free Fasttrak access. These platforms are really fun to drive and you can mod them just like anything else.

Stealth PPF, Ohlins coilovers, bigger swaybars and 20x10.0" Titan TD6 wheels later and this is what we have.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2023.50
      02-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #1322
wmlkaede
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Compared with m3/m4, I don't like the model 3's look
Appreciate 3
      02-15-2022, 09:59 PM   #1323
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmlkaede View Post
Agreed…the Tesla is definitely not a head turner.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #1324
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
+1000
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2022, 09:41 AM   #1325
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmlkaede View Post
Compared to the F8x? Agreed. G8x? Anything looks better than that atrocity.
cotmfk2023.50
      03-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #1326
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

We are really a multi-cultural family as we love all types of cars whether it's Italian, JDM, American or EV. Recently we picked up a ModelY and have plans to do a few mods. We've had a few EV's in the past and love how they drive. Does it give you thunderous exhaust, no but for a daily driver you do not need that sound.

the Model Y is really a Lambo URUS that doesn't need gas. It can accelerate past pretty much any car on the road short of an exotic and when the exotic runs out of gas, you go right by the gas pumps. Charging is free for us at work so it's basically free to operate.

EV is the future, our NSX was hybrid EV but eventually all cars will go this way so like it or not, it's coming
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #1327
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
We are really a multi-cultural family as we love all types of cars whether it's Italian, JDM, American or EV. Recently we picked up a ModelY and have plans to do a few mods. We've had a few EV's in the past and love how they drive. Does it give you thunderous exhaust, no but for a daily driver you do not need that sound.

the Model Y is really a Lambo URUS that doesn't need gas. It can accelerate past pretty much any car on the road short of an exotic and when the exotic runs out of gas, you go right by the gas pumps. Charging is free for us at work so it's basically free to operate.

EV is the future, our NSX was hybrid EV but eventually all cars will go this way so like it or not, it's coming
I agree. It's coming. If your over 30, not in your lifetime though.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:10 AM   #1328
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

I drove a lot of EVs before deciding on a M4. They are super fast off the line, but all of them had a deal killer. M3P, I can’t deal with no gauge cluster. And the interior is from a low 30’s car. Once you get over the novelty of having a huge screen its just not great.

The thing is that we are just at the beginning of EVs. They will get a lot better over the coming years. I’m content to let them marinate a little bit and get better. The infrastructure will probably be figured out, and maybe we’ll get solid state batteries in a few years. However they are still very much a beta product.

ICE OTOH is absolute peak right now. There will probably never be better pure ICE models. Most manufacturers seem to be putting a end to any new development. Emissions regulations are only getting tougher. A new EPA code starts phasing in next year and though 2026 IIRC. If you don’t want some weird hybrid system, and especially if you want a manual, better buy it now. It might not be around long. I’ll have the rest of my life to find a EV.
Appreciate 4
      07-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #1329
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Tesla = no way
Heard reliability

And anyway, the model 3 looks like it got its arse chopped off.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #1330
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post
Heard reliability

And anyway, the model 3 looks like it got its arse chopped off.
Don't believe everything you read or hear. The reliability concerns have largely been rectified. The mass quality concerns were from many years ago. I've owned two Model Y Performance vehicles and they've been as reliable as any other vehicle I've owned. What I mean by that is, I've had zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #1331
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling about my 2022 Model 3 Performance. Build quality at delivery was atrocious and a month into ownership I had to get the charge port replaced. The car has a lot of rattles for a new car and the screen has rebooted on me a few times while driving. Feels a bit like an unfinished product really.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 06:21 PM   #1332
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling about my 2022 Model 3 Performance. Build quality at delivery was atrocious and a month into ownership I had to get the charge port replaced. The car has a lot of rattles for a new car and the screen has rebooted on me a few times while driving. Feels a bit like an unfinished product really.
Build quality is questionable, I'm not arguing that. To be clear, build quality and reliability are not one and the same. I've long been of the mind that much of the Tesla operating model is not fully baked and that includes the product itself and I'm good with that. An informed consumer should know that going in.

If you're not feeling good about your M3P, get rid of it. Coming from someone who has cycled through a ton of cars, once you sour on a car or have it in your mind that you may need to move on, it never goes back the other way. Depending on when you bought it, you may be able to get out of it losing very little to no money or even coming out ahead. I got of my first MYP and pocketed thousands more than I paid for it less than a year prior.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      07-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #1333
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I’m in no rush to get rid of it. It’s not all bad as the car does have some redeeming qualities and it’s a matter of taking the good with the bad. Not having to fill up at the pumps at the current gasoline prices in Canada is pretty well paying for the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #1334
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Sad to hear quality has not improved. I may have got lucky with my 2019 M3P. It's been almost 3 years and have had no issues with mine. It's a great daily that can't be beat. Tried to take it to the track in stock form twice, and it's just not that fun to take. Having the M3 as the track car and the M3P as a daily is a great combo for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #1335
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
Sad to hear quality has not improved. I may have got lucky with my 2019 M3P. It's been almost 3 years and have had no issues with mine. It's a great daily that can't be beat. Tried to take it to the track in stock form twice, and it's just not that fun to take. Having the M3 as the track car and the M3P as a daily is a great combo for me.
I agree about the fun factor. I think the M3P is a great commuter car but not a great sports car. Despite how quick it is on the street I feel less inclined to drive it fast because it just lacks a visceral connection as there is no drama to how it gets up to speed. It’s has moments where it feels fun but overall it’s more of a fast appliance feel and there’s nothing wrong with that. I just don’t see it as a direct competitor to an M3 as the experience is vastly different.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      09-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #1336
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Build quality is questionable, I'm not arguing that. To be clear, build quality and reliability are not one and the same. I've long been of the mind that much of the Tesla operating model is not fully baked and that includes the product itself and I'm good with that. An informed consumer should know that going in.

If you're not feeling good about your M3P, get rid of it. Coming from someone who has cycled through a ton of cars, once you sour on a car or have it in your mind that you may need to move on, it never goes back the other way. Depending on when you bought it, you may be able to get out of it losing very little to no money or even coming out ahead. I got of my first MYP and pocketed thousands more than I paid for it less than a year prior.

Good point about build quality vs. reliability. I have a friend who buys a new Tesla each year. Continues to complain about build quality even still.... but has never been left stranded by the car. (And in the past couple of years, has actually made money when selling...., granted that's just about over.)
      09-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #1337
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
The interior is 100x worse than the exterior.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #1338
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post

Model Y is like the Urus?! LOL

Model Y is more comparable to CRV or Rav4. Its just a boring box on wheels with zero emotion. Its great for Most ppl bec most ppl just want an appliance.
Cars like the Urus or Gwagon are emotional vehicles that are special because of the noise and theater they create.

EVs are hardly the future in our lifetime.
It will take decades before they outnumber ICE vehicles. BTW those V12, V8 exotics will never get old neither will the turbo M3s. I personally don’t plan to buy an EV anytime soon and certainly will never replace my fun cars with one.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      09-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #1339
Hfrank
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Of course it's more than 0-60 time, which Tesla puts near 3.2 seconds (some are recording even quicker times.) However, have any of you thought about it, for the tech, alone, as a daily driver? I knew I'd miss my M3, and all the handling capability, but I'm very happy with my Tesla.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-price-update/

Update:
A very non-technical comparison video I did on my BMW and Tesla, mostly just appearance, but hopefully this helps people who are on the fence. If able, please subscribe to the YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/M3rewards
and comment, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Of course it's more than 0-60 time, which Tesla puts near 3.2 seconds (some are recording even quicker times.) However, have any of you thought about it, for the tech, alone, as a daily driver? I knew I'd miss my M3, and all the handling capability, but I'm very happy with my Tesla.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-price-update/

Update:
A very non-technical comparison video I did on my BMW and Tesla, mostly just appearance, but hopefully this helps people who are on the fence. If able, please subscribe to the YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/M3rewards
and comment, thanks!

Very helpful I love it
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:37 AM   #1340
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

There's no line in the sand as far as I'm concerned...I own a Tesla and the F80

Model Y Performance for daily driving, commuting, running errands, and eating in the car with Netflix from time to time is pretty sweet.

F80 for track days, and for when I get tired of the Tesla's ~500hp AWD that hooks perfectly in basically any conditions with no drama. The Tesla feels great to drive but it isn't a super "fun" car IMO, but it is very satisfying to drive, and you get to leave 99% of whatever is on the road in the dust without sounding obnoxious. I am fine with loud exhaust on the race track but I'm not into being loud on city streets.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #1341
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I am happy to see more and more Teslas being modded. I don't really know what you can do for power/speed mods with an electric, but they do look better lowered with aftermarket wheels. It gives some hope for the continuation of car culture in the future.
      10-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #1342
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
There's no line in the sand as far as I'm concerned...I own a Tesla and the F80

Model Y Performance for daily driving, commuting, running errands, and eating in the car with Netflix from time to time is pretty sweet.

F80 for track days, and for when I get tired of the Tesla's ~500hp AWD that hooks perfectly in basically any conditions with no drama. The Tesla feels great to drive but it isn't a super "fun" car IMO, but it is very satisfying to drive, and you get to leave 99% of whatever is on the road in the dust without sounding obnoxious. I am fine with loud exhaust on the race track but I'm not into being loud on city streets.
I totally am with you on “performance” Tesla + sports car. I just sold my 996TT and model 3P and picked up an 07 c6 z06. Going to pair it with some kind of EV truck or van in the future

Completely a dinosaur in the interior department compared to model 3P and despite having 335 wide rear tires I’m not sure I can get it to hook hard enough on the street to stay ahead of a model y/3 performance. The acceleration potential from a roll plus the sounds of V8 make me want to salute the flag and its tough for EV to replicate that “feel”
Appreciate 0