BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #67
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjew04 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Too many posts urging you to consider the M3. (And for good reasons). Let me however play the devils advocate

1. Both cars will be more capable in the handling department than either your tracking skills (which I am not aware of) or the public roads. So the question is : will you be tracking this car? If yes, how often? If not, the car will not be the limiting factor in how crazy you drive it. So the advantage that the M3 has in this department will unfortunately not be realized.

2. You are coming from a Lexus which is very boring and you are craving for a sportier car. Heed of caution here: don't over do it Extreme of any thing can have problems. The m3 is a pretty raw car (opposite of the Lexus). It is loud inside. I would personally find it difficult to be making conversations with people/kids in the back seat while driven this car. Suspension is harsh. Seats are too tight. Traction control is tricky. You may get tired of all this faster than you got tired of the numbness induced by the Lexus. The M550 will still be much sportier than your boring Lexus while not overwhelming /irritating you in the long run.

3. For whatever it is worth, the 550 is a "higher series" as perceived by normal people such as perhaps your clients. They are considered to be "luxury cars" and they indeed are.

4. The 550 being an xdrive may recover better from an emergency situation especially compared to the tail happy m3. I bring this up as you mentioned that you would be transporting your family in it.

5. The 550 will accelerate faster in a straight line in majority of the driving situations. That feeling of pull without worrying about go sideways should be addictive!

6. The 550 looks pretty awesome inside and you can load it with more features.

7. For long distance travel, you will be thankful for having got the 550 especially with the automatic cruise control.

8. The 550 is a V8. It should sound like a V8.

If you still decide to go for the M3, make sure you test drive it for at least an hour or more. My $0.02.
Everything rallybull just said is accurate. I am in a similar situation, I had a 15 F80, that got T boned and is now totaled. I can either replace with a 17 and comp package, or go with a more tech advanced car in the M550. I have been going back and forth for 3 weeks, placed an order for a m550, and still am second guessing. The f80 will get away from you in heart beat, it will also give you and exhilarating driving experience every time you hit start. These are good problems to have.
A pic for good measure, everyone was safe even my passenger
My God, what happened?!? Glad that you were okay!
      03-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #68
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Too many posts urging you to consider the M3. (And for good reasons). Let me however play the devils advocate

1. Both cars will be more capable in the handling department than either your tracking skills (which I am not aware of) or the public roads. So the question is : will you be tracking this car? If yes, how often? If not, the car will not be the limiting factor in how crazy you drive it. So the advantage that the M3 has in this department will unfortunately not be realized.

2. You are coming from a Lexus which is very boring and you are craving for a sportier car. Heed of caution here: don't over do it Extreme of any thing can have problems. The m3 is a pretty raw car (opposite of the Lexus). It is loud inside. I would personally find it difficult to be making conversations with people/kids in the back seat while driven this car. Suspension is harsh. Seats are too tight. Traction control is tricky. You may get tired of all this faster than you got tired of the numbness induced by the Lexus. The M550 will still be much sportier than your boring Lexus while not overwhelming /irritating you in the long run.

3. For whatever it is worth, the 550 is a "higher series" as perceived by normal people such as perhaps your clients. They are considered to be "luxury cars" and they indeed are.

4. The 550 being an xdrive may recover better from an emergency situation especially compared to the tail happy m3. I bring this up as you mentioned that you would be transporting your family in it.

5. The 550 will accelerate faster in a straight line in majority of the driving situations. That feeling of pull without worrying about go sideways should be addictive!

7. For long distance travel, you will be thankful for having got the 550 especially with the automatic cruise control.

If you still decide to go for the M3, make sure you test drive it for at least an hour or more. My $0.02.
I've re-read your post and thank you, that was very insightful.

Of note, the 330 was modded to be a bit louder than stock and I liked that. This Lexus is way too quiet. I do not take clients out all that often in my car but I do meet them.

The Range Rover was a loud V8, which I loved.

I'm looking for something more sporty for sure and a blast to drive. I don't want a big car - I did go look at the 7 but I don't want a boat. With two boys and working long hours, car time to me is fun and so I want to enjoy what I drive. My wife could care less and I think she just wants me to shut up about it so the M3 is the best choice for me now
      03-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #69
Mattjew04
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe680 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everything rallybull just said is accurate. I am in a similar situation, I had a 15 F80, that got T boned and is now totaled. I can either replace with a 17 and comp package, or go with a more tech advanced car in the M550. I have been going back and forth for 3 weeks, placed an order for a m550, and still am second guessing. The f80 will get away from you in heart beat, it will also give you and exhilarating driving experience every time you hit start. These are good problems to have.
Truck ran a stop sign going 45mph. Just a bruised knee from the lateral movement, so the car is very safe at least!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #70
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe680 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Truck ran a stop sign going 45mph. Just a bruised knee from the lateral movement, so the car is very safe at least!
Just don't do a frontal offset crash and you should be good to go in an F80!
      03-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #71
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

if you can afford it i would say M550 without question. probably more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #72
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

M550 or if you can wait Audi RS5 sportback (extra trunk space and AWD compared to M3). Or if you can wait even longer, X3M/X4M

I love my M3 but will be going AWD next time, just too hard to put down the power consistently on the M3 (have more issues than I did with my old C63)

only problem with Audi is that I have never had a good experience at any of their dealerships and they never want to discount more than $1K-$2K (like pulling teeth to get that) and that's on $70K+ cars.
Appreciate 1
mc3456389.50
      03-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #73
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

The M3 will fit your needs better M550i. Besides M550i is still brand new, it's usually better with BMW to wait out for the LCI models.

Looks like you already made up your mind and decided on an M3. I'd say wait few months and get the MY2018. It's the last model year F80 and you'll get latest and greatest features and improvements. Competition pack will solve most of traction issues that regular civic F80 folks have, and backup camera, LED headlights and few other things are standard with 2018. GL
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #74
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Quote:

I actually love everything I've seen on the M550ix so far. Loved my M3 but would have definitely replaced it with an M550ix if the Alfa hadn't come into my life unexpectedly.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #75
r20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is an M550?
BMW is putting an M on everything these days.

M1-M7, x1M - x7M, 328M-750M, also changing company name to BMMW.

We can get upgraded accessories now like, M shirts, M pens, M vibrators, M roof racks, MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMmmmmMMMMMMM

Now they can charge double for same product.

MMMPeace outMMMM
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #76
dpoplin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550ix

M3 vs M550

I would go with the M550. I have a 2018 and it is an amazing car. The speed is incredible and shocks everyone that rides with me. It's a very comfortable car for a family. I take 2-4 customers in mine many days and nobody feels cramped. It is the best of all worlds: comfort, family and fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #77
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Just traded my M4 for a 2019 M550iX. The M4 was too raw and small/uncomfortable for a DD on the street, and I do not track my cars. If you want a track car, the M3/4 is a most awesome choice ( I drove them both at COTA). If you want comfort, luxury, room, with a hidden monster under the hood, get the M550i. The AWD can make it rocket from the line or out of corners with none of the constant wheelspin I encountered on my M4. It was initially very cool to be able to break the rear wheels loose through fourth gear, anytime I wanted. But then, it got to be a drag (no pun intended) when you wanted to go instead of spin. I loved the M4. I love the M550i even more. Add to the package a B&W stereo, to balance that nice V8 growl, and you have motoring bliss, IMO.
Appreciate 1
BigSky702687.00
      03-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #78
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Can I bump this thread for more input? Thinking of replacing the F80 with the M550 next year. Hopefully it gets the updated 500 hp engine.
I'll bite. I had a 2016 F80. I absolutely loved the car. Was my daily; never tracked it. The car was super fun to drive and definitely looked the part. I knew about 6 months ago that once my lease ended, I was going to go for something more luxurious but I still wanted something with serious power. Enter M550.

I've had my M550 about a month and I love it! Totally different car than the M3. They each bring a smile to my face but for different reasons. The M550 is loaded with tech and feels extremely premium. The fit and finish on the M550 is light years better than the M3 - it is true luxury. It's a pleasure to drive but its still a beast! Obviously the feel behind the wheel is totally different, but it you're just focused on power...its definitely got it!

I think both cars are great, but I don't think they're really comparable. I can't say one is better than the other; they're too different in my eyes. Having the option of driving an M3 or an M550 is something that should make you happy. You can't go wrong.
BigSky702687.00
      03-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #79
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
Does it feel like a significantly heavier car? I know objectively it is but does it hide its weight well in corners and such?
I don't know that it "feels" heavier, but it does feel different. Very different feel behind the wheel.
      03-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #80
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

Wait for the 2020 M550i with 530hp, same engine as m850i
      03-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #81
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
It's the new M inspired and badged 5 series. BMW is going down the AMG road and slapping M onto everything. Marketing department 1 - M division 0
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #82
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
I don't know that it "feels" heavier, but it does feel different. Very different feel behind the wheel.
I just drove one last night and to me it feels significantly heavier/bigger than my M3. But, holy shit what a nice fast luxury car! An M3 replacement it is not, but a very nice compliment to one. I’m very close to picking it up and having the best of both worlds for sedans IMO. Next to an M5 of course!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #83
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

I was in a similar situation about a month ago and test drove an m550 among other cars. First off, the car is a flat out rocket, there is no doubt about that. Interior fit and finish is also too notch compared to my f80.

That said, I just could not get over how big the car was and felt, which became a deal breaker for me. The f80 is already close to the limit of what I'd want in a car size size, and the 550 is more than a foot longer. At the end of the day I ended up getting an M3CS and I'm extremely pleased with it.

If size / agility isn't a concern for you though, then it's a no brainer - go with the 550.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #84
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I just drove one last night and to me it feels significantly heavier/bigger than my M3. But, holy shit what a nice fast luxury car! An M3 replacement it is not, but a very nice compliment to one. I’m very close to picking it up and having the best of both worlds for sedans IMO. Next to an M5 of course!
It definitely feels bigger. No question there. It may not be a “replacement” for an M3 but I did just replace my M3 with my M550.

Different cars; both amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #85
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
It definitely feels bigger. No question there. It may not be a “replacement” for an M3 but I did just replace my M3 with my M550.

Yes, both M3 & M550i are amazing in their own different ways.
If your drive is mostly straights, M550 is more fun. I might quickly get bored with M550 if driving on twisty roads because of its weight.
Different tools for different jobs!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #86
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

Congrats on the new car. If I had to choose between each and could have only one, I’d still take the M3. But, if one is ready for an extremely fast larger sedan and values comfort over driving dynamics than I can see this being the choice for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #87
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on the new car. If I had to choose between each and could have only one, I’d still take the M3. But, if one is ready for an extremely fast larger sedan and values comfort over driving dynamics than I can see this being the choice for that.
Thanks. You never know what the future holds; I'm sure my F80 won't be my last M3.
      03-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #88
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Had my M550iX for several months now. I live on the Southern edge of the Texas Hill Country, and frequent the back roads in this area. The M550 is equally capable of anything reasonably possible on these public roads, with no wheelspin, a smoother ride, and luxurious comfort in the process. The only thing my M4 had that is better was the air conditioner. I loved the M4, and it is an awesome track car, but I do not miss it at all. The M550iX is awesome. I would love to get my hands on a 2020, with all that extra HP! But, seriously, absolutely no regrets.
Appreciate 2
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
minn1913970.00