EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #23
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
It's not "real sound" nor "no trick" as we have different recording equipment and even outside vs inside sound comparisons...
It is "Engine real sound comparison" and not the sound of stereo speakers in the cabin reproducing the engine sound and being recorded a second time to create this sample. That is why I put "no trick".

Quote:
In fact the title should read "Inconsistent comparison of non comparable sounds (not remotely realistic and tricked so that the E9x M3 comes out with the best sound)"
If you want to get into semantics then these are still various M3 engine sounds being compared. I never claimed that this was a perfect comparison but they are indeniably samples from each of these respective cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #24
535DMSport
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

What a suprise, the OP drives an E92 M3. I guess he must be somewhat biased. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
Strange that someone who owns a F10 5 series fills the need to justify that they have the "better" car.

We all know which car sounds better. You don't need to own one to be able to hear the difference.

Oh and before you blast me, I don't own one yet, I take delivery in a month from now.
Ehhh... Do F10 owners post numerous threads about how the F10 is "better" than other BMW models???

And, no we don't "all know" which car sounds better... That would be like saying "we all know classical music is better than Rock"
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #26
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

it is a good car though....mustangs dont spank m3's. but ATS and Lexus IS spank 328i's!
Boss 302 Laguna Seca beats the M3 on track...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #27
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Judging the engine sounds based on some lossy, low bitrate MP3 files taken in unknown location with an unknown equipment, then played back on your crappy soundcard using your crappy speakers/headphones?

Come on, guys, just wait for the actual car...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #28
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

My Bros 1M with his Akra Exhaust sounds just as good as my M3. Just sayin...
E92 Owners are just butt hurt and trying to find every reason to bash the new gen M.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Did I click AVS Forums speaker section by accident??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:

it is a good car though....mustangs dont spank m3's. but ATS and Lexus IS spank 328i's!
Boss 302 Laguna Seca beats the M3 on track...
Its also a $42k mustang and a special edition.

Lets try vs gts.

Again, a forty thousand mustang?!

AND the m3 is nearly 6 years old. Thats like saying my iphone 5s barely beats your ipod.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
The current V8 certainly wins the aural contest, no disputing that....however it feels gutless at anything but high rpm and the fuel economy sucks for such little power output (my GT-R makes 60 % more power and gets slightly better economy than the M3)....which is why I didn't buy one and have been waiting on the turbo model. I'll gladly give up some sound for 100 ft/lbs more tq, infinitely better tuning options in the future, and better fuel economy (since I will be daily driving it).
      10-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Lets try vs gts.

AND the m3 is nearly 6 years old. Thats like saying my iphone 5s barely beats your ipod.
You said "Mustangs don't beat M3's"... Strange that it's suddenly: "Oh, but that's a pricey Mustang. I only meant cheap versions of the Mustang"

Hmmm, isn't the M3 just a pricey version of the 3-series???

So, a $ 42.000,- Mustang beats $ 60.000,- M3. What's not to like about the Mustang in that respect?

AND the fifth generation Mustang was introduced in 2005, that makes it 8 years old. Even older than the M3!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:

Lets try vs gts.

You said "Mustangs don't beat M3's"... Strange that it's suddenly: "Oh, but that's a pricey Mustang. I only meant cheap versions of the Mustang"

Hmmm, isn't the M3 just a pricey version of the 3-series???

So, a $ 42.000,- Mustang beats $ 60.000,- M3. What's not to like about the Mustang in that respect?

AND the fifth generation Mustang was introduced in 2005, that makes it 8 years old. Even older than the M3!!!
Im not gonna argue but lets completely redo an old mustang and it give it some go fast bits and stiffen everything to beat the STANDARD.

So your beats it on track comment is based on what ? Magazine lap times on short tracks?

Ok lets see what it does against the gts on the ring. Oh wait, they dont bother publicizing it. Must be too fast i guess.

Even older? Yeah our old m3s have had beefed up motors and suspension throughout the years of production. Wait im wrong. We get new idrive software, 10mm lower springs and wider wheels lol. No performance update from original production.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #34
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Im not gonna argue but lets completely redo an old mustang and it give it some go fast bits and stiffen everything to beat the STANDARD.

So your beats it on track comment is based on what ? Magazine lap times on short tracks?

Ok lets see what it does against the gts on the ring. Oh wait, they dont bother publicizing it. Must be too fast i guess.

Even older? Yeah our old m3s have had beefed up motors and suspension throughout the years of production. Wait im wrong. We get new idrive software, 10mm lower springs and wider wheels lol. No performance update from original production.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say here

Quote:
Beat the STANDARD what? Standard Mustang or standard M3?

By "redoing" you are referring to the Boss 302 Laguna Seca right? So the same "redo" principle also should apply to the M3? BMW M "redoes" the 3-series, stiffens the body, adds suspension parts etc so that it beats the std. 3-series. And the GTS is a "redone" version of the std. M3? Same principle that applies to the Boss 302 LS and Shelby GT500...

Quote:
Lap times at Laguna Seca (hardly a short track or a easy track):

Laguna Seca:

BMW M3: 1:42.96s
Audi R8 V10: 1:40.75
Boss 302: 1:40.21

Quote:
I never said it would beat a GTS

It beats the M3 and R8 at Laguna Seca. You said a Mustang didn't beat a M3 (you never said it had to be a GTS...). So yes, as long as a GTS is faster than the R8, the Boss 302 will loose against a GTS

Quote:
Even older? Yeah our old m3s have had beefed up motors and suspension throughout the years of production. Wait im wrong. We get new idrive software, 10mm lower springs and wider wheels lol. No performance update from original production
You said that the M3 was 6 years old, implying it wasn't fair to compare it with a "new" Mustang. I just pointed out that the Boss 302 is based on a 8 year old design (and it has a live rear axle). Hardly a very high tech design compared to the E9x 3-series the M3 is based on.

But, yes the Boss 302 LS is a newer "model", based on an older base car with a generic Ford engine design and live rear axle etc.

To me, it's impressive that a "cheap" Mustang actually have been able to do such fast lap times. It's not a competitor to a M3 on vital areas such as interior quality, build quality, material quality, technology etc. But it's definitely a fast car

EDIT:
Nurburgring lap times:

Audi R8 V10: 7:44
BMW M3 GTS: 7:48

So the R8 V10 that the Boss 302 LS beats at Laguna Seca is 4s faster around the 'Ring than the GTS... Not sure the Boss 302 LS would be that badly beaten around the 'Ring after all...

Last edited by Boss330; 10-08-2013 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
To me, it's impressive that a "cheap" Mustang actually have been able to do such fast lap times. It's not a competitor to a M3 on vital areas such as interior quality, build quality, material quality, technology etc. But it's definitely a fast car
Of course if tire smoke and hooning is your thing, then look no further than the "Boss" 302 LS mustang. It'll be perfect parked next to a chicken coop.
But l fear for the neophyte who tries to drive this car fast.

It is one thing to post great numbers on a smooth track or skidpad, it is quite another to hustle on public roads. Conspicuous by its absence is any mention of Ford testing this or any Mustang on the Nurburgring- now the standard for high performance American cars. And with good reason. Real roads have bumps and heaves, something the "Boss" Mustang cannot handle with any degree of composure, and on a certain level, safety.

threshold of performance has been improved on a car that took 60 years to develop, but what it will do when pushed to the limit is entirely another story. Tread outside the envelope and be prepared to be spanked with untoward road manners instead of predictablilty. Something the M3 on the nurburgring will have no problem with and excels in.
And it is not particularly cheap for what it is at $50,000 base price.

Quote:
So the R8 V10 that the Boss 302 LS beats at Laguna Seca is 4s faster around the 'Ring than the GTS... Not sure the Boss 302 LS would be that badly beaten around the 'Ring after all...
The Boss would perform so badly on a road like the nurburging that it would probably shock you.

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 10-08-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #36
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Strange that the OP chooses the S65 as the best sounding and, what a coincidence, he also owns a E92 M3...

And your comparison is somewhat inconsistent... E46 and E36 is sound from cabin, E9x and F8x is outside at two different tracks/corners...

Also the OP states that the E9x soundtrack includes aftermarket tuned exhaust, so this is hardly fair. And the F8x sound is from a pre-production car. It's not really an apples to apples comparison.

Having said that, out of all of them, I'd choose the E30 sound as best but I'm betting also that that E30 M3 is not stock because I've heard their sound before and they don't sound like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #37
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime View Post
Drives: 2013 328 msport

Talks crap about e9x owners
Lol just because I have 328 as dd doesn't give you any rights to talk down on it. Ive owned plenty fast cars like evo IX, e60 m5. Currently I have family to take care of, and don't need fancy fast car.
and I assure you I have much more track and driving exp than yourself.
Plus you didn't get my point at all on my original post. All I'm saying is don't try so hard to put down on successor of your outdated vehicle. And when facts come out you get all butt hurt and post some shitty comment like above, which has zero correlation with topic.
Try starting a thread where you can objectively put down on f80 compared to e90, than maybe I won't think you are just another butt hurt e9x owner
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #38
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Lol just because I have 328 as dd doesn't give you any rights to talk down on it. Ive owned plenty fast cars like evo IX, e60 m5. Currently I have family to take care of, and don't need fancy fast car.
and I assure you I have much more track and driving exp than yourself.
Plus you didn't get my point at all on my original post. All I'm saying is don't try so hard to put down on successor of your outdated vehicle. And when facts come out you get all butt hurt and post some shitty comment like above, which has zero correlation with topic.
Try starting a thread where you can objectively put down on f80 compared to e90, than maybe I won't think you are just another butt hurt e9x owner
very odd you owned a E60 M5. i would never i have guessed you understood what a high revving N/A engine feels like.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #39
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Since this is a stupid thread and we're off topic, I like the Boss 302 LS. Last one I ran with at the track was neck and neck with me, but I was always slightly faster. Had a great time regardless and probably my favorite track day this year. Now if that driver was more experienced than me, I bet he would have been the one faster than me. Doesn't matter though because we both had FUN.

Moral of the story, have respect for all cars, owners, engines, and noises. Yours isn't better than the next guy and if you need to prove it is, you're just a dick.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
The Boss would perform so badly on a road like the nurburging that it would probably shock you.
And you have extensive experience on the Nurburgring I guess since you can categorically state this? And obviously extensive track and road experience with the Boss 302 LS as well???

If you don't have any experience with neither, your statements need no further comment...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #41
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
very odd you owned a E60 M5. i would never i have guessed you understood what a high revving N/A engine feels like.
The tendency for E9x M3 owners to write derogatory or insulting comments to owners of other cars never cease to amaze me...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #42
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
The tendency for E9x M3 owners to write derogatory or insulting comments to owners of other cars never cease to amaze me...
your kidding right ?

from his comments i would have never guessed he owned a E60 M5. he seems like a person who is all about what ever is new is better. no matter what, if it was a 4 cylinder it great ...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #43
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And you have extensive experience on the Nurburgring I guess since you can categorically state this? And obviously extensive track and road experience with the Boss 302 LS as well???

If you don't have any experience with neither, your statements need no further comment...
I have never owned a pony car but one of my track buddy bought the '13 302 LS and while I don't claim extensive experience with that car I had the occasion to switch cars with him. Frankly it is very capable but the chassis and anachonistic suspension setup (stick axle) makes it scary to drive at the limit. Steering feedback is a bit unpredictable at the breakaway point. I can understand the appeal of its big thrust and engine roar but it is just one more mustang to me.
And at $50,000 base price it is hardly the cheap mustang battling against the expensive $60,000 base price M3 that you are talking about.

lap time on the LS racetrack does not equate to same classification on the Nurburgring. You started making false allusions in that direction so eat your own misleading words. Do you think Ford would not give the NBR a try if they knew it would give good results, maybe they have...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #44
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post

lap time on the LS racetrack does not equate to same classification on the Nurburgring. You started making false allusions in that direction so eat your own misleading words. Do you think Ford would not give the NBR a try if they knew it would give good results, maybe they have...
I just pointed out that the R8 V10 that the Boss 302 LS beats at LS, beats the GTS at the Nurburgring. Fact!

Unless you have driven both LS and the Ring you simply have NO idea what you are talking about... Sure the GTS might be quicker than the Boss on the Ring.

But, interestingly you originally claimed that a Mustang didn't beat a M3 on a track. I provided info that a factory built Mustang actually DOES beat a M3...

Only then did you come up with the GTS and the Ring...

Enjoy your M3, it's one of the greatest cars out there and in most ways is a far more advanced and "better" car than the Mustang. But that said, that doesn't mean that other cars also can be fast...
Appreciate 0