Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #595
foreversinglem4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325

guys quick question, I am taking my car into the dealer for this (i have reverted EVERYTHING back to stock) do you think they will some how find out i had a jb4 even if i take everything off?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:07 AM   #596
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversinglem4 View Post
guys quick question, I am taking my car into the dealer for this (i have reverted EVERYTHING back to stock) do you think they will some how find out i had a jb4 even if i take everything off?
It's not a flash so they won't pick it up automatically, if it was a turbo or motor failure they will check boost levels but for something that they've seen a few times already they'll just replace the top mount.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:15 AM   #597
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Would replacing charge cooler with CSF unit fix this from ever happening again?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 12:46 AM   #598
foreversinglem4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
It's not a flash so they won't pick it up automatically, if it was a turbo or motor failure they will check boost levels but for something that they've seen a few times already they'll just replace the top mount.
thats what I am scared of, because lets say the top mount leaked into the valves, and then got into the engine or turbo somehow, then they would dig deeper...I am hoping this specific SA (Claudia) still works at a dealership nearby just so I can be absolutely worry free, also thank you for responding!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #599
foreversinglem4
Enlisted Member
Rep

can I get some opinions on this from people in this post please...my mechanic that was taking my car back to stock, told me I don't have a leak...they are a mechanic/body shop...he said that when my car got hit a couple weeks ago (they also repaired it) he said they drained the whole coolant systems air pressure and coolant... and didn't fill up the second reservoir..so when we kept pouring in coolant it was actually being sucked into the system and not leaking...he said they did pressure tests and driving tests, he's going to test drive it a bit longer today
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #600
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
can I get some opinions on this from people in this post please...my mechanic that was taking my car back to stock, told me I don't have a leak...they are a mechanic/body shop...he said that when my car got hit a couple weeks ago (they also repaired it) he said they drained the whole coolant systems air pressure and coolant... and didn't fill up the second reservoir..so when we kept pouring in coolant it was actually being sucked into the system and not leaking...he said they did pressure tests and driving tests, he's going to test drive it a bit longer today
I believe they are two separate systems, I am not sure if draining the coolant system should drain the interchange coolant as well. You might also want to make sure they bleed the systems the right way.
      02-12-2021, 05:05 PM   #601
foreversinglem4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
I believe they are two separate systems, I am not sure if draining the coolant system should drain the interchange coolant as well. You might also want to make sure they bleed the systems the right way.
so coming back to this for a sec! turns out everything IS fine with my car...its just when they were doing the body work on my car and fully bled it, they didnt fill up the secondary reservoir. and yes they are both connected, and that is why most people that have this leak issue (if the leak isnt bad) they can drive around for months before noticing because the main reservoir shoots up coolant up there, you wont really find out until either your car over heats or you check for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #602
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
so coming back to this for a sec! turns out everything IS fine with my car...its just when they were doing the body work on my car and fully bled it, they didnt fill up the secondary reservoir. and yes they are both connected, and that is why most people that have this leak issue (if the leak isnt bad) they can drive around for months before noticing because the main reservoir shoots up coolant up there, you wont really find out until either your car over heats or you check for yourself.
I'm sorry but that's wrong. The S55 has two independent cooling circuits. The big bottle on the side of the CF brace feeds the hot-side circuit, the front radiator, turbos, engine block, etc. The small bottle on the TMIC feeds the cold-side circuit, the front intercooler (in front of the radiator), side intercooler. These circuits do not mix, and one level does not affect the other. There are different fill and purge procedures too.
Kilabyte3948.00
      02-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #603
foreversinglem4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry but that's wrong. The S55 has two independent cooling circuits. The big bottle on the side of the CF brace feeds the hot-side circuit, the front radiator, turbos, engine block, etc. The small bottle on the TMIC feeds the cold-side circuit, the front intercooler (in front of the radiator), side intercooler. These circuits do not mix, and one level does not affect the other. There are different fill and purge procedures too.
Don't be sorry, I'm trying to learn as much as I can, I looked at a couple charts like 2 days ago and they seem to be connected (in the diagrams I looked at on google) , also when I opened my secondary reservoir when testing a different color came back out so I thought it may have mixed with the main coolant
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #604
foreversinglem4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been a confusing 2 days for me lolll
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:45 PM   #605
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been a confusing 2 days for me lolll
Check out this guy's video. The first 3 minutes have a good diagram and explanation on both circuits.
      03-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #606
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 - F80

Hey all!

Sorry if I am bringing up a really old thread but I am a bit confused with what is currently happening with my car. 2015 m3 50K miles

Over the weekend I turned on the car and got the 20A201 Auxillary coolant pump for charge air cooler dry running detected.

I checked the reservoir and noticed it was low, not fully dry because I could see fluid at the bottom so I topped it off. Drove around all weekend and decided this morning to check it again, its back to the same low but not completely dry level. ( no codes yet) my TMIC is cool to the touch after a 30 min drive in Miami weather so I am not 100% sure if it has failed or not.

When should one check the level in the reservoir? Cold or hot? Both times I have checked it hot and noticed no pressure when removing the cap (like old radiator caps that would shoot out coolant, not sure if this system holds that pressure anyways)

The car is running normal, normal temps, normal power levels and engine bay is clean no signs of coolant anywhere. I saw on another thread a post about doing a cycle to see if the reservoir bubbles? Or maybe I misread, let me know your thoughts on if i should be rushing to replace the unit.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #607
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINERALWHITE_F80M3 View Post
Hey all!

Sorry if I am bringing up a really old thread but I am a bit confused with what is currently happening with my car. 2015 m3 50K miles

Over the weekend I turned on the car and got the 20A201 Auxillary coolant pump for charge air cooler dry running detected.

I checked the reservoir and noticed it was low, not fully dry because I could see fluid at the bottom so I topped it off. Drove around all weekend and decided this morning to check it again, its back to the same low but not completely dry level. ( no codes yet) my TMIC is cool to the touch after a 30 min drive in Miami weather so I am not 100% sure if it has failed or not.

When should one check the level in the reservoir? Cold or hot? Both times I have checked it hot and noticed no pressure when removing the cap (like old radiator caps that would shoot out coolant, not sure if this system holds that pressure anyways)

The car is running normal, normal temps, normal power levels and engine bay is clean no signs of coolant anywhere. I saw on another thread a post about doing a cycle to see if the reservoir bubbles? Or maybe I misread, let me know your thoughts on if i should be rushing to replace the unit.

Thanks
My didn't leak during normal driving, you need to drive the car hard at full boost for about 30 minutes or so. Or just remove the j pipe and check for coolant residue. Easy way to tell if your Bmw F80/82 M3, M4 Charge cooler is leaking
      03-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #608
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

I saw your video recently! Scared me into wanting to purchase a new one asap. I’m going to top it off today with distilled water and let it sit for some time then top off again and go for s drive, let’s see how it holds up!
Appreciate 1
Jbonly211075.50
      04-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #609
311evo
Rep
Drives: M4 // X54.6is

Checked my reservoir today, bone dry. No codes.

2018 M4 ZCP

Took the charge cooler off to inspect it and to my surprise I found no evidence of coolant in the cold pipe or throttle body. Also no coolant on the ground... Will attempt to top off with distilled water and keep an eye on the levels. I might put an aftermarket cooler into my 50k maintenance plans for peace of mind none the less...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #610
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Checked my reservoir today, bone dry. No codes.

2018 M4 ZCP

Took the charge cooler off to inspect it and to my surprise I found no evidence of coolant in the cold pipe or throttle body. Also no coolant on the ground... Will attempt to top off with distilled water and keep an eye on the levels. I might put an aftermarket cooler into my 50k maintenance plans for peace of mind none the less...
I suggest to leave the upper res cap off (with cold engine) and do the "pump purge procedure" once, topping up as needed during purge. Watch close the whole time to keep the res full, especially around the 3-5min mark when the pump really surges into super cooling speed, but watch the whole 11 minute cycle. Then cap and all done.

If you just top up then bubbles already in the system might pass through, and make you think there's a leak.
      04-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #611
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep

Question for those who went the DIY route. I ordered a Agency power top mount intercooler to replace my suspected leaking oem one. I wanted to know if you guys are doing any cleaning or engine flush after changing it?

I was just considering doing an oil change just in case (did 1 about 1k ago) might even pour some oil through it and let it drain to do some cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:26 AM   #612
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINERALWHITE_F80M3 View Post
Question for those who went the DIY route. I ordered a Agency power top mount intercooler to replace my suspected leaking oem one. I wanted to know if you guys are doing any cleaning or engine flush after changing it?

I was just considering doing an oil change just in case (did 1 about 1k ago) might even pour some oil through it and let it drain to do some cleaning.
Yes, after I replaced my cooler, I used CNC Intake valve cleaner through a vacuum line to clean the engine. There's a good Diy how to use the CNC cleaner around here some where.
      04-17-2021, 03:50 AM   #613
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

i bought my 2018 f82 m4 with 30k miles about a few weeks ago, I touched the TMIC and find it very hot after an hr of normal driving (under 3500rpm most of the times). When I opened the charge cooler expansion tank, it was completely empty.

i'm taking my car in to crevier bmw to check it out, tomorrow. I have only 7 months left on the warranty so hopefully i can avoid replacing the TMIC after warranty expired.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #614
njack2711
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm not around on this Section of the forum but have and still am gaining more knowledge of the S55, but am knowledgeable to the N54/N55 platform and linger on e90post/1addicts. Recently a buddy of mine with a F80 M3 has been receiving drivetrain malfunctions, down on power, and extremely hot air intake air temps, the charge air cooler as you guys know should be cool to the touch.

Car goes into diagnostic at a local performance shop and find this: (see images below). After pulling the intake manifold off the car.

Yes that's right, seems like the factory charge air cooler has leaked the cooling fluid through the core and gone directly into the intake manifold, and through the intake valves directly into the engine. From what I've seen this is the first that has happened on this platform. The car will be repaired and back running in a few days. But as a PSA seems like upgrading the stock heat exchanger to prevent a 2k+ failure/repair like this is the way to go.
Did you also have coolant coating the North facing portion of the J pipe?

I'm trying to confirm if my intercooler is also leaking without removing the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #615
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by njack2711 View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm not around on this Section of the forum but have and still am gaining more knowledge of the S55, but am knowledgeable to the N54/N55 platform and linger on e90post/1addicts. Recently a buddy of mine with a F80 M3 has been receiving drivetrain malfunctions, down on power, and extremely hot air intake air temps, the charge air cooler as you guys know should be cool to the touch.

Car goes into diagnostic at a local performance shop and find this: (see images below). After pulling the intake manifold off the car.

Yes that's right, seems like the factory charge air cooler has leaked the cooling fluid through the core and gone directly into the intake manifold, and through the intake valves directly into the engine. From what I've seen this is the first that has happened on this platform. The car will be repaired and back running in a few days. But as a PSA seems like upgrading the stock heat exchanger to prevent a 2k+ failure/repair like this is the way to go.

I'm trying to confirm if my intercooler is also leaking without removing the intake manifold.
Yes you'd be able to see from in there, if you remove the J pipe you can see if there's residue or stick your phone with the camera on into the throttle body
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #616
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njack2711 View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone,

There shouldn't be any coolant in the J pipe, if there's any coolant in there, your cooler is leaking.