Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #5523
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yeah, you're right I said that because the F8x has received a lot of flack over the years - especially in the beginning.

But, to be fair, it's what happens with almost every BMW. This time it's more brutal, though.
Yup, completely agree. Been around long enough to see this happen every time, and you're right, this time is way worse than any other time I can remember b/c the looks are too polarizing and the ad campaign was practically offensive on purpose. But the car is actually refined and competent despite the weight gain. Score one for BMW engineers. Unfortunately that may not be enough to overcome some of the cost cutting and extremely poor design decisions from team Dukec/Hooydonk.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25076.00
RugbyBro7600.50
      04-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #5524
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
And here you want to get a Maserati
Speaking of Masers:
The California Highway Patrol's Oakland office shared images Monday showing the aftermath of a brief vehicle pursuit after a speeding driver in a Maserati refused to stop for an officer attempting to pull him over, the CHP said.

The 32-year-old male driver on 580 westbound accelerated to over 100 mph and a pursuit ensued, according to CHP.

"It was a short-lived pursuit," Officer David Arias, a spokesperson for Oakland CHP, further explained. "He didn't make it far before he exited and as soon as he exited, instead of going straight, he veered left, went off the ramp and then went up the embankment and collided with the underside of the freeway."

Don't forget to scroll the pics! So worth it.
Appreciate 2
CT_M31478.00
CanAutM321115.00
      04-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #5525
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
And here you want to get a Maserati
Speaking of Masers:
The California Highway Patrol's Oakland office shared images Monday showing the aftermath of a brief vehicle pursuit after a speeding driver in a Maserati refused to stop for an officer attempting to pull him over, the CHP said.

The 32-year-old male driver on 580 westbound accelerated to over 100 mph and a pursuit ensued, according to CHP.

"It was a short-lived pursuit," Officer David Arias, a spokesperson for Oakland CHP, further explained. "He didn't make it far before he exited and as soon as he exited, instead of going straight, he veered left, went off the ramp and then went up the embankment and collided with the underside of the freeway."

Don't forget to scroll the pics! So worth it.
Haha! Got'emmmmm!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      04-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #5526
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
It's way too big. Should've stopped at 991 sizing. But the 992 Turbo has got mad hips and I love a chubby ass so I allow it.
Honestly 992 isn't much larger. Just looks larger because all models are now wide body, which I personally applaud.

992 C2S is only 1.1in longer than a 991 C2S. 992 and 991 have the same 96.5in wheelbase.

I guess some don't like the wide body on the base models.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #5527
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I'm really enjoying some of the banter in this thread. 🤙🏼

Random thoughts.

Saw an all black G80 rolling down Abbott Kinney the other day under bright sunlit Cali skies. Even under this idyllic setting, I've quickly deduced it's not going to grow on me now or ever. It does pack a visual punch, but not in a pleasant manner. Far from it. Other parts of it can be visually reconciled, dare I say forgiven, but that grill is an original sin.

Alfa Guilia has one of the ugliest front end designs of all time. G8X warthog is to the Quad's wild boar. Same ugly.

The only wide body in the 992 gen is the Turbo and upcoming RS that shares the same shell. The run of the mill, but still awesome, 992 Carrera versions are now the narrow body. Hips should look Coke bottle wide (see 993 CS), not the whole arse end. 992 is just bulbous. Porsche did nail the widened front fenders along with adding the 993 hood+bumper treatment. And I agree. Sht is just getting too Ms Piggy all around. 997 is the sweet spot. In particular, the 997 RS, all flavors in that gen. Lifetime vehicles.

Next AMG C is going to steal the show rendering the G8X a stillborn. Fanboys will predictably go tribal, clinging onto its "classic" offering as the final ICE + manual option in class, but AMG's trickle down F1 tech will make M Town look Truman Show. M's response will be Xdrive and a wagon version? The only ace up sleeve is the CSL, but AMG will up the ante with a Black or whatever special edition in this marketing arms race. Social media lemmings are going to lap it up Affalterbach style.

I'll gladly sit on the sidelines with my M4 CS snooping around for an enthusiast owned stick 991.2 GT3.

Game on!
      04-13-2021, 11:06 PM   #5528
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
The only wide body in the 992 gen is the Turbo and upcoming RS that shares the same shell. The run of the mill, but still awesome, 992 Carrera versions are now the narrow body. Hips should look Coke bottle wide (see 993 CS), not the whole arse end. 992 is just bulbous. Porsche did nail the widened front fenders along with adding the 993 hood+bumper treatment. And I agree. Sht is just getting too Ms Piggy all around. 997 is the sweet spot. In particular, the 997 RS, all flavors in that gen. Lifetime vehicles.
992 base Carrera and Turbo are the same width...79.7 inch.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 11:18 PM   #5529
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
I stand corrected, thanks, and my point remains as is. 992 rear is just big. In a disappointing way.
      04-14-2021, 12:19 AM   #5530
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I own a low miles E92M3 and have never owned an F80. I have however tracked one at a BMW event and thought it was great. I also currently drive an '18 340i M Performance Edition which is going in a couple of weeks because I just closed the deal on a CS. I waited a long time to buy an F80 because I was patiently awaiting the G80. Needless to say I made my choice after the G80 was unveiled. I won't mention it's looks because that's subjective, but my decision was based primarily on three things; the size, weight, and lack of DCT. We all know the engineering that went into the F80 making it lighter than the E90 etc. I won't get into those details because you are all aware. But when I saw that the G80 was so damn big and significantly heavier, and had done away with carbon fibre brace, driveshaft and other elements it seemed to me like a real cost cutting exercise. The issue of the DCT was also huge for me bearing in mind that my 340i has the ZF and it in no way shape or form approximates a DCT. No way. I don't care how they program it and what anyone says. I confirmed this when I drove an X3M as well.

The point of this post is this; some journalists, not to mention names.....Jonny Lieberman, are really going out of their way to push the idea that the G80 is not "much heavier" and that nobody will miss the DCT because the ZF is so wonderful. I don't want to make accusations but I have no doubt that many journalists are beholden to manufacturers and lot of what they say is total horse shit. They conveniently gloss things over. A G82 is very near the size of the M6 coupe and they want to downplay this? So suddenly a ZF slush box is equivalent to a DCT? Really? Ok then please tell me when Porsche intends to mothball the PDK in favor of it. I'm sure Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren and all the makers of high performance cars are tripping over each other to replace their dual clutch transmissions with that spectacular ZF. I have no idea why these journalists are spinning such bullshit but they really can't be relied upon in my opinion. I waited for that G80 and learned about it. I watched reviews. I looked at the specs. No I haven't driven it but I have driven the G30 340i with the ZF and the car was massive and the transmission was not for me. So I am absolutely thrilled with the decision to pick up an F80 CS which I'll have in a couple of weeks and when I get it I'm hanging on that baby for a long time. Very few new cars these days do it for me and I can say with relative certainty that BMW has probably lost me for good.
Appreciate 16
Fugly M35030.50
CanAutM321115.00
Mavus2026.00
stein_325i25076.00
MFNATIK3497.00
six75LT916.50
ra2289303.50
The_Werm212.00
Jockey3445.00
RugbyBro7600.50
pbar1398.50
sabrina493.50
NickyC17445.00
F32Fleet3566.00
M-Pilot4859.00
      04-14-2021, 12:55 AM   #5531
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
I own a low miles E92M3 and have never owned an F80. I have however tracked one at a BMW event and thought it was great. I also currently drive an '18 340i M Performance Edition which is going in a couple of weeks because I just closed the deal on a CS. I waited a long time to buy an F80 because I was patiently awaiting the G80. Needless to say I made my choice after the G80 was unveiled. I won't mention it's looks because that's subjective, but my decision was based primarily on three things; the size, weight, and lack of DCT. We all know the engineering that went into the F80 making it lighter than the E90 etc. I won't get into those details because you are all aware. But when I saw that the G80 was so damn big and significantly heavier, and had done away with carbon fibre brace, driveshaft and other elements it seemed to me like a real cost cutting exercise. The issue of the DCT was also huge for me bearing in mind that my 340i has the ZF and it in no way shape or form approximates a DCT. No way. I don't care how they program it and what anyone says. I confirmed this when I drove an X3M as well.

The point of this post is this; some journalists, not to mention names.....Jonny Lieberman, are really going out of their way to push the idea that the G80 is not "much heavier" and that nobody will miss the DCT because the ZF is so wonderful. I don't want to make accusations but I have no doubt that many journalists are beholden to manufacturers and lot of what they say is total horse shit. They conveniently gloss things over. A G82 is very near the size of the M6 coupe and they want to downplay this? So suddenly a ZF slush box is equivalent to a DCT? Really? Ok then please tell me when Porsche intends to mothball the PDK in favor of it. I'm sure Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren and all the makers of high performance cars are tripping over each other to replace their dual clutch transmissions with that spectacular ZF. I have no idea why these journalists are spinning such bullshit but they really can't be relied upon in my opinion. I waited for that G80 and learned about it. I watched reviews. I looked at the specs. No I haven't driven it but I have driven the G30 340i with the ZF and the car was massive and the transmission was not for me. So I am absolutely thrilled with the decision to pick up an F80 CS which I'll have in a couple of weeks and when I get it I'm hanging on that baby for a long time. Very few new cars these days do it for me and I can say with relative certainty that BMW has probably lost me for good.
I agree. There seems to be a hard sell coming from the journalists. They actually whined quite a bit about the F8X when it debuted. BMW ironed out some early issues but stuck to it and it sold like crazy because it is a damn good car, despite the softening of the F3X vs the E9X chassis. Here, it's almost like reverse deja vu. BMW pushing press, press ogling and peddling. Sales will ultimately be determinative, but it sure seems like a collaborative effort to push something on the consumer.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7600.50
      04-14-2021, 01:48 AM   #5532
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post

I agree. There seems to be a hard sell coming from the journalists. They actually whined quite a bit about the F8X when it debuted. BMW ironed out some early issues but stuck to it and it sold like crazy because it is a damn good car, despite the softening of the F3X vs the E9X chassis. Here, it's almost like reverse deja vu. BMW pushing press, press ogling and peddling. Sales will ultimately be determinative, but it sure seems like a collaborative effort to push something on the consumer.
Media works in a very different way now then when the F released too IMO.

We're far more connected, there is a lot of money and "gifts" to be had and with the addition of influencers (read Jokers) and how telling people that their opinion is factually wrong based on data is a bad thing and that you should just leave them alone have in turn caused a circle jerk of epic proportions that I think will affect society in the long run, in a negative way.

Proper reviews, as bias and click bait less as possible is becoming increasingly difficult to find, technical specifications are ignored in favor of artificial FOMO and complete disregard for heritage is applauded for the sake of being new or something.

If you have anything negative to say you're the hater, even if it is based in reality or for intended use. I even noticed people who base their opinions and statements in fact and described detail as to why X and Y get called out for behind negative because god forbid someone have something to say that don't perfectly align with yourself.

If this was the case with me I'd have an aneurysm or two already from what people think about the S55 sound which I really like as weird as it is for some to understand.

In the end a majority just want you to click, fall on either extreme side of the spectrum and fight while dragging with you as many middle people as possible, as it increase their visibility and in turn revenue before moving to the next target.

This is why i applauded ThrottleHouse when I found them back when they started, as they seem to be legit enthusiastic about cars, one of which is more daily driver focused and the other a track nerd which adds to fun and great message conveyance with good info here and there as they drive around.
Two perspectives intertwined is such a great thing.
Appreciate 5
Fugly M35030.50
RugbyBro7600.50
irunalot1518.00
      04-14-2021, 04:25 AM   #5533
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
It's way too big. Should've stopped at 991 sizing. But the 992 Turbo has got mad hips and I love a chubby ass so I allow it.

Also looks good in all-silver.

, that's a preview of our future driveway right there

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-14-2021 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 5
GERMAN M34181.00
RugbyBro7600.50
m34m697.00
irunalot1518.00
      04-14-2021, 04:31 AM   #5534
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Sure, because the full width includes the mirrors. The Turbo's body is 48mm/1.9" wider than the Cerrera's .
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-14-2021 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:20 AM   #5535
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I stand corrected, thanks, and my point remains as is. 992 rear is just big. In a disappointing way.
No, you were correct. The Turbo models do have a "wider" bodies and are the only ones that do for the time being. Even the GT3 uses the "narrower" body.

For my part, I love that sensual rump

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-14-2021 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
THEROK1267.50
minn1914018.00
irunalot1518.00
      04-14-2021, 05:26 AM   #5536
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
, that's a preview of our future driveway right there
Going to be a nice looking driveway CanAutM3 .
minn1914018.00
      04-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #5537
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Media works in a very different way now then when the F released too IMO.

We're far more connected, there is a lot of money and "gifts" to be had and with the addition of influencers (read Jokers) and how telling people that their opinion is factually wrong based on data is a bad thing and that you should just leave them alone have in turn caused a circle jerk of epic proportions that I think will affect society in the long run, in a negative way.

Proper reviews, as bias and click bait less as possible is becoming increasingly difficult to find, technical specifications are ignored in favor of artificial FOMO and complete disregard for heritage is applauded for the sake of being new or something.

If you have anything negative to say you're the hater, even if it is based in reality or for intended use. I even noticed people who base their opinions and statements in fact and described detail as to why X and Y get called out for behind negative because god forbid someone have something to say that don't perfectly align with yourself.

If this was the case with me I'd have an aneurysm or two already from what people think about the S55 sound which I really like as weird as it is for some to understand.

In the end a majority just want you to click, fall on either extreme side of the spectrum and fight while dragging with you as many middle people as possible, as it increase their visibility and in turn revenue before moving to the next target.

This is why i applauded ThrottleHouse when I found them back when they started, as they seem to be legit enthusiastic about cars, one of which is more daily driver focused and the other a track nerd which adds to fun and great message conveyance with good info here and there as they drive around.
Two perspectives intertwined is such a great thing.
You hit the nail on the head with tech specs bit for sure! The mags are making it harder and harder to find the cold hard data. MT's algos have seemed to figure out that I am googling for specific cars and want the data at the bottom of the article and literally don't show the performance test stuff to me half the time. I don't want to click through their stupid photos or read through an article riddled with stupid ads...errr, automotive propaganda.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #5538
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Going to be a nice looking driveway CanAutM3 .
GTA driveway lol
Appreciate 3
minn1914018.00
GERMAN M34181.00
CanAutM321115.00
      04-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #5539
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

My F80 next to a BSM G80, my car is lowered and I couldn't park right next to it because of that lamp pole, but a comparison nonetheless. My car sits significantly lower and looked up at the G80 when sitting inside of it. I have said this before but I could live with a BSM G80 if I had to solely based on negating a lot of the design elements that we all love to hate.

There is a manual BSM G80 a little further away optioned exactly how I would want it (red interior, orbit grey wheels, red brakes, etc..) but the dealer is notorious for not dealing so doubt I will do anything about it.

Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7600.50
minn1914018.00
sabrina493.50
      04-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #5540
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
My F80 next to a BSM G80, my car is lowered and I couldn't park right next to it because of that lamp pole, but a comparison nonetheless. My car sits significantly lower and looked up at the G80 when sitting inside of it. I have said this before but I could live with a BSM G80 if I had to solely based on negating a lot of the design elements that we all love to hate.

There is a manual BSM G80 a little further away optioned exactly how I would want it (red interior, orbit grey wheels, red brakes, etc..) but the dealer is notorious for not dealing so doubt I will do anything about it.

The f80 does a lot of good things with regards to shades on the bottom half of the bumper. The g80 design elements are hidden in the shade. Another win for the f80.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #5541
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Incoming Lieberman post: "How to make a G80 look small... put it next to a F80"
stein_325i25076.00
six75LT916.50
m34m697.00
      04-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #5542
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:

Well that does it for me. The F8X is huge and fat porker. It also has a pole sticking out of its ass. I can't wait to trade mine in for G8X. Where can I sign up for these 20k over sticker deals?!

/S <----didn't think that was necessary but just in case lol
Appreciate 5
RugbyBro7600.50
stein_325i25076.00
pbar1398.50
dmk087316.00
GERMAN M34181.00
      04-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #5543
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Well that does it for me. The F8X is huge and fat porker. It also has a pole sticking out of its ass. I can't wait to trade mine in for G8X. Where can I sign up for these 20k over sticker deals?!

/S <----didn't think that was necessary but just in case lol
Man Ill hook you up and broker you one for $15k over sticker. PM me your build.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #5544
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

did you gents see this

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...ips-silverado/
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25076.00
minn1914018.00