BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Ridicule23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

JB4 Frustration (hiccups)

hello all, I'm sure this is a common issue going on. I've had my jb4 for about 4 months now. currently at map 2 with Downpipes and filter... after some hard driving I would get some hiccups and choking of the fuel whenever I'm at a full stop. it's not the whole time, but it's very common. when I first got the jb4 and started with map 0, this wasn't an issue, but ever since I enabled the wastegate control I've been getting these issues. however I would also get a driver malfunction at times, but would go away and not got into limp mode. I ended up taking my car to the dealer, and they said I would have to remove the jb4 in order for them to do complete testing. as much as I love this jb4, I would hate to have to disable it completely and revert back to stock in order for me to not have this issue. in addition I'm even up to date with the firmware, as others have claimed to fix this so called issue. I'm open to hear what others have to say about this issue, and if there is a FIX for it. because I am very unhappy with this situation because it's embarrassing when my car feels like it's about to shut down.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridicule23 View Post
hello all, I'm sure this is a common issue going on. I've had my jb4 for about 4 months now. currently at map 2 with Downpipes and filter... after some hard driving I would get some hiccups and choking of the fuel whenever I'm at a full stop. it's not the whole time, but it's very common. when I first got the jb4 and started with map 0, this wasn't an issue, but ever since I enabled the wastegate control I've been getting these issues. however I would also get a driver malfunction at times, but would go away and not got into limp mode. I ended up taking my car to the dealer, and they said I would have to remove the jb4 in order for them to do complete testing. as much as I love this jb4, I would hate to have to disable it completely and revert back to stock in order for me to not have this issue. in addition I'm even up to date with the firmware, as others have claimed to fix this so called issue. I'm open to hear what others have to say about this issue, and if there is a FIX for it. because I am very unhappy with this situation because it's embarrassing when my car feels like it's about to shut down.
Why would you post here instead of on BMS' forum where they could help you resolve it? Send a log of the issue and the exact codes over to BMS so they can help you sort it out.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

My first guess would be bad or inadequate gas. Do you always fill up at the same place? I used to have an issue filling up at a particular station nearby that claims 93 octane, but obviously something was up because I would "knock" a little bit with my jb4 map 2 on my 335. . .

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Ridicule23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
Why would you post here instead of on BMS' forum where they could help you resolve it? Send a log of the issue and the exact codes over to BMS so they can help you sort it out.

Mike
sorry about that mike, just figured how active this forum is I'd get a quicker response. I have a p3 gauge, that shows some codes, will that tell me ? or do I have to run a data log with a usb, because I don't have 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Trying to ridicule JB.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
teamwerx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

The BMS stuff seems like the go to, but that's two issues in one day on the forum..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
Very true. It also sound like a fuel issue. Not the proper mix. Personally I have always did 5 gallons of E85 then top of with 91
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwerx View Post
The BMS stuff seems like the go to, but that's two issues in one day on the forum..
It's always been like that because the BMS stuff is 5x more popular than anything else. So you get more requests for support and problem solving. The issue is when they post here there is no one to help them. Just me to tell them to contact BMS. If they post on BMS' support forum then there is an employee trained in this stuff full time reading and answering posts for help. Not to mention their email tech support when you need help quickly.

Mike

Last edited by Mike@N54Tuning.com; 02-16-2015 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
sorry about that mike, just figured how active this forum is I'd get a quicker response. I have a p3 gauge, that shows some codes, will that tell me ? or do I have to run a data log with a usb, because I don't have 1.
Interesting. You know the P3 w/ CANbus has the potential to interfere with the JB4 CANbus right? It's ill advised to run both together!

I'd say unplug the P3 as a first test. Then if the problem is still there get a BMS USB cable so you can log the issue. The JB4 will display afr bank 1 & 2, timing, throttle, fuel pressure, trims, and from that BMS can determine what is causing that stumble and how to fix it. If you don't have a BMS cable how did you update the firmware?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
Ridicule23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
Interesting. You know the P3 w/ CANbus has the potential to interfere with the JB4 CANbus right? It's ill advised to run both together!

I'd say unplug the P3 as a first test. Then if the problem is still there get a BMS USB cable so you can log the issue. The JB4 will display afr bank 1 & 2, timing, throttle, fuel pressure, trims, and from that BMS can determine what is causing that stumble and how to fix it. If you don't have a BMS cable how did you update the firmware?

Mike
I went to ACM and they updated the firmware.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
F80M4ROCKS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

where is the link to bms support forum?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #12
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Active 8 module with Zima DP's. Perfect! Much smoother power delivery than stock trim. http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...s-for-bmw.html

Quote:

Last edited by VCP; 03-25-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
There is almost no one here that knows enough to actually help you troubleshoot the car. Reach out to Terry at BMS, get some datalogs and actually work on solving your problem, rather than grasping at straws.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #14
Prestige@ActiveAutowerke
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Active 8 module with Zima DP's. Perfect! Much smoother power delivery than stock trim. http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...s-for-bmw.html
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80M4ROCKS View Post
where is the link to bms support forum?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #16
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Mike you are quick to post on other threads about jb4 yet when people have issues, which I've seen 4 this past 2 weeks on forum, you tell them not to post Here. I think everyone is interested in any problems out there, whether it's is bms or another product
Appreciate 3
      02-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #17
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Mike you are quick to post on other threads about jb4 yet when people have issues, which I've seen 4 this past 2 weeks on forum, you tell them not to post Here. I think everyone is interested in any problems out there, whether it's is bms or another product
I agree... The bias shown by Mike@N54 is sickening and disingenuous.

He reeks of a used car salesman.... "Don't look at that, look over here at this shiny bit!". Be very careful when telling people not to post, as censorship does NOT sit well with many people.

I for one greatly appreciate M3/M4 owners posting on an M3/M4 board about their issues they're having with their tunes, whether it be JB4 or any other. It adds to our collective knowledge base, and we shouldn't be hiding the issues on some N54 forum. This is a forum to talk about our S55 engines.

I would think that many F8x owners would want to know if a certain tune is too sensitive about fuel quality issues and that not enough safety buffer has been taken into consideration with a certain tuning product. What happens on a hot day, at high altitude, if you happen to get a bad batch of 93?

I know that I have absolutely ZERO interest in a tune that throws the car into limp mode, and is overly sensitive to a batch of fuel that is slightly below the rated octane level, and I am extremely grateful to other F8x owners who share their experiences with all products, whether they be bad or good. But we should hear both sides of the story, and not just the ones that a reseller wants us to hear.

Past: 2009 Ibis White S5 (APR Supercharged V8)
Past: 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible

Last edited by Merli; 02-16-2015 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #18
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Active 8 module with Zima DP's. Perfect! Much smoother power delivery than stock trim.
Great idea spamming another tune, but tell me how that competes with my 550whp I'm seeing from a custom map 6 on my JB4?
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #19
F80M4ROCKS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
thanks mike!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #20
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

It can't, and I never claimed it could. Read the OP. I gave my opinion to his question. You are just #1. Does that satisfy your temper tantrum child? By the way, I did have a JB4 previous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Great idea spamming another tune, but tell me how that competes with my 550whp I'm seeing from a custom map 6 on my JB4?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #21
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP
It can't, and I never claimed it could. Read the OP. I gave my opinion to his question. You are just #1. Does that satisfy your temper tantrum child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
No because it wasn't a response seeing his questions were pertaining to map two on the JB4 — instead of offering for him to spend more money maybe you should let those, like above, recommend what may actually be wrong with the vehicle, fuel, and/or product.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #22
teamwerx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Definitely want to hear about problems here instead of n54 tech. I don't want to have to lurk multiple sites to get simple information if I don't have to!
Appreciate 0