R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #1
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
AWE resonated Track Exhaust?

Anyone here running the resonated track exhaust? One of the things that held me back on doing the M3 was the exhaust. Is it really that bad after the chainsaw startup? My dad has an M2 and I think that has to be one of the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard, of course it's so loud I've often wondered if it has the MPE fitted by mistake lol!

I don't see many people running AWE and only a few videos on YouTube. I found one video of the regular track exhaust and it sounded gnarly. The resonated sounded more "stock" .....thoughts?

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I'm running the non- resonated Track edition. It definitely opens up the exhaust and it's much deeper.

It's also extremely loud. I've gotten used to it now and don't even think about it, but once you first install it, you'll probably think it's insanely loud. It certainly brings more attention to the car lol

I think the resonated version is a little tamer, but for some reason, from the videos I've seen, it sounds weird. I would either go non-res track or non-res switchpath

Appreciate 1
      08-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post
I'm running the Track edition. It definitely opens up the exhaust and it's much deeper.

It's also extremely loud. I've gotten used to it now and don't even think about it, but once you first install it, you'll probably think it's insanely loud. It certainly brings more attention to the car lol
Thanks! Is it a "classy loud" or hooligan loud?

I just want to fix the rasp and nasty tone that comes out above 5k

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
Quote:
I'm running the Track edition. It definitely opens up the exhaust and it's much deeper.

Is it a "classy loud" or hooligan loud? Is yours a resonated version or just the track exhaust?
Eh, that depends on your definition of classy or hooligan loud. I think it's more on the hooligan side, but I mean, it's essentially straight piped (minus the catted primary DPs), so its expected.

I'm running the non resonated track

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's still pretty raspy over 5k...just a little deeper if that makes sense. I don't think there's much that's gonna change that to be honest

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #6
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's still pretty raspy over 5k...just a little deeper if that makes sense. I don't think there's much that's gonna change that to be honest
Thanks!....the S55 engine is just a broken engine I guess. I wonder if the resonated tones it down at all. AWE is in my backyard, I've called them a few times to see if they had any M3/4s coming in for the resonated track. Seems like everyone just goes for their switchback

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!....the S55 engine is just a broken engine I guess. I wonder if the resonated tones it down at all. AWE is in my backyard, I've called them a few times to see if they had any M3/4s coming in for the resonated track. Seems like everyone just goes for their switchback
Yeah lol, performance is top notch.. sound is a different story. My FBO N54 335is sounded worlds better.

Most people get the switchpath to keep their exhaust quiet enough so they can DD the car and open it up when they want. I just didn't care much for that feature and was gonna keep it open most of the time anyways so I went with the track

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
JPOWER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 BLK VERT(F83)

I'm running the Resonated track edition AWE exhaust on my F83. it sound extremely loud specially during cold start with my Gintani Downpipes but once it warms up its pretty tamed. i have the gunshot burbles with my tune and i get compliments all the time on how ridiculously mean it sounds. I would highly recommend it resonated as it drones less then the non-resonated. One of my buddies has the non-res and when you drive around specially during take off theirs a bit of drone at low RPM but nothing you cant get use to.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
JiggaWang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SS M4

I am also considering the resonated track edition and have the same questions! The price point is what got me first, and I personally thought it sounded great in AWE's youtube video. The non-res track sounds more raw, while I want deep and even tone, with a little more volume. I'm currently running the stock non-ZCP exhaust with valves permanently open all the time. Drone was a concern too, and I understand the resonated version drones less.

AWE Resonated Track:

AWE Non-resonated Track:
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The AWE track edition exhaust is a very popular option for us.
If you are keeping stock downpipes, its a good setup thats not too aggressive

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
Cloud IX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quickest Stock Turbo F8X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaWang View Post
I am also considering the resonated track edition and have the same questions! The price point is what got me first, and I personally thought it sounded great in AWE's youtube video. The non-res track sounds more raw, while I want deep and even tone, with a little more volume. I'm currently running the stock non-ZCP exhaust with valves permanently open all the time. Drone was a concern too, and I understand the resonated version drones less.

AWE Resonated Track:

AWE Non-resonated Track:

You in WA state?
I got a brand new one in box for sale, resonated.
      12-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
6SPD GOD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6SP

Has anyone added resonators to their NON-RES track edition?

I'm running NON-RES track on F82. The drone at 65mph on 6th gear is just stupid loud.
Appreciate 0