Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-05-2016, 04:12 AM   #23
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Very interesting video Thanks for putting that together
What would be great to find out is if the additional traction at the back that you are noticing as the main standout difference between the two cars is as a result of the lower profile wider tyres mainly or if the other changes to diff settings and roll bars etc are making their presence felt?

I know that mine in normal mode is soooo restrictive that it simply will not allow full acceleration (even when you try to very gently progressively apply it) from a roundabout in second. So much so that it will keep it held back when it goes into 3rd until 4th!! MDM feels like it is pretty much essential on the non CP just to allow the car to actually drive near to the way you would expect!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:47 AM   #24
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
So.... after thick fog, torrential rain, blown batteries and one broken mic, have managed to pull something out of my disastrous day of filming!

Here you go.... Not as I'd want but there we go - had to get something up!!
Hi, you appear to be comparing suspension / firmness / ride quality - is it not true that you have tweaked your M3 CP? I understand you have ACS RS suspension upgrades. So I am not sure I follow any comments on comparing the standard M3 to a M3 CP, given your CP isn't probably riding the same as say another CP?

Not a dig, just seeking clarification

Video was good.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:55 AM   #25
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaydie View Post
Hi, you appear to be comparing suspension / firmness / ride quality - is it not true that you have tweaked your M3 CP? I understand you have ACS RS suspension upgrades. So I am not sure I follow any comments on comparing the standard M3 to a M3 CP, given your CP isn't probably riding the same as say another CP?

Video was good.
The video was made before he fitted the RS suspension setup. I believe he is working on a video about the RS setup at the moment

You can see just from the arch gaps that it is stock suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #26
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

What a great video - very impressed.

Regarding the ride on my CP, my good lady says it's the most comfortable BMW she's been in - go figure! I have the car in sport mode (I find comfort a little soft for my preference) and I think that combined with the excellent seats in the CP it's very comfortable.

I can understand if others want a softer ride, but for me it's a sports car and I expect it to be on the firm side - but it's still comfortable - for me.

As for the burbling exhaust - going to be a long time before I get tired with that!

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:37 AM   #27
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Hi mate great review... what kind of exhaust tips do you have?!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #28
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyB82 View Post
Thanks for the video Guy, some great shots of your car and very helpful information

Got a question for you, if the std car had a CG valve controller fitted, open as default, would it sound similar to your car? I remember taking an MY16 on a test drive end of last year, and seem to remember it making a few pops from the exhaust in sports mode? does the CP overfuel on lift off to make it more dramatic?
Thanks
You won't get quite the same burbles on the overrun but you will get some pops. The CP is setup specifically to do the burbles. I know one of the guys on Cutters had his ECU updated to include something similar.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #29
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Video was good.
I had the RS suspension put on last Monday. Shot this the previous Wednesday! I am snowed under with work at the moment and I knew I had to reshoot due to techie difficulties so has just been a case of finding the time. So yes, the end of that video was shot yesterday in my RS suspended car but that was just the summary - the comparison was done on standard CP suspension.

Hope that clears that one up!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 05:54 AM   #30
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_dave View Post
Hi mate great review... what kind of exhaust tips do you have?!
Cyba. Have a search through the forum and you'll find info. Or just message Derek (username Cyba).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #31
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitam View Post

As for the burbling exhaust - going to be a long time before I get tired with that!
My wife calls it childish. I call it fun.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #32
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
The video was made before he fitted the RS suspension setup. I believe he is working on a video about the RS setup at the moment

I am indeed - have most of it filmed. Just going to reshoot in-car stuff with proper camera and mic as just not happy with audio in this video at end - lousy quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #33
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post

didn't see that! Thanks - I will look forwards to his next installment. I imagine the unsprung weight / mass difference will apparent on the RS vs CP setup... would be equally interesting to see someone reviews on just ACS springs on CP.

Last edited by iamjim; 07-05-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #34
dimpkins
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Cheers Guy
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #35
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice review but sorry if I missed it but didn't see any comparisons with the seats? How do they feel back to back, is there any difference in feel or comfort?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #36
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Nice review but sorry if I missed it but didn't see any comparisons with the seats? How do they feel back to back, is there any difference in feel or comfort?
Do you know, I realised that this morning as I got in the car. I recorded it but someone missed the whole piece!!! Ah well, too late now.

So the seats. I think it's wrong when people say they have no lumbar support. They DO have lumbar support - it's just not adjustable. Longest I've spent in the car in one go was 6 hours (10 hours in a day). Have never once stepped out feeling sore. I think they are incredibly comfortable.

Honestly I couldn't tell a jot of difference between them with standard seat set on bit of lumbar. Yes if you adjusted right back or right forwards, you could tell so if you have heavy support, you might have an issue but for everyone else, the seats are fine!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #37
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Thanks for the terrific videos on Youtube...very informative. I had a non-ZCP 2017 on order but changed it to ZCP after reading/watching your reviews. Keep up the great work
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #38
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Well well Guy for Top Gear!!

I saw this on my Toutube suggestions before here. Fantastic but of work here Guy, many thanks. Getting rather arty with the camera work too, just brilliant.
      07-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Thanks all. NOT happy at all with the video but I'm the most self-critical person in the world. Have an opportunity for cracking content off-road on Thursday - manically trying to sort out a cameraman to help film it.....
That was a really well put together video, I'm impressed. My only suggestion is that you should get an external microphone as it was really hard for me to hear what you were saying over the road and exhaust noise
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #40
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
... would be equally interesting to see someone reviews on just ACS springs on CP.
+1 as long as the drop is like Guys. Lorcan?
      07-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #41
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That was a really well put together video, I'm impressed. My only suggestion is that you should get an external microphone as it was really hard for me to hear what you were saying over the road and exhaust noise
Thanks. Yup, my mic broke so had to do the rest on a GoPro which wasn't ideal. It is now sorted for next video!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #42
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw M3 View Post
Was this all GoPro or different cameras? I'm considering taking a shot at it too. I'm thinking about a Bourdain spin, visiting various car meets... Idk.
Yup, was all GoPro and won't be doing that again. I run a rental company and my usual camera got rented out!!! Going back to proper camera for piece to video - that's what caused the sound problems and me losing footage.

GoPro's are great but they have limits.
out of interest what do you think of the Sony AX-100. A guy at work swears by them for quality Vs price and they can be picked up very cheap on eBay occasionally.

I was thinking of getting one myself if I can find one a the right price.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #43
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
out of interest what do you think of the Sony AX-100. A guy at work swears by them for quality Vs price and they can be picked up very cheap on eBay occasionally.

I was thinking of getting one myself if I can find one a the right price.
A colleague had one for all of two days before I convinced him to send it back. The chromatic aberration was awful, as was the compression (didn't help that the built-in PP profile had nasty sharpening artifacts). Colour was really bad and I.S. seemed nonfunctional. Would be interested to hear Guy's thoughts on it though.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #44
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Yup, AX-100 was Sony's first effort and not a very good one - we sent them back. The AXP-33 was much much better. Funnily enough, I have an AXP-53 on my desk at the mo!

I'm going to use my RX100 Mk IV going forwards (my battle cam that travels everywhere with me). Using a Zoom H4N with Rode lapel for sound and see how that goes.

Getting up nice and early tomorrow morning to film the in-car RS suspension vid (not happy with one I shot). With a bit of luck weather will play ball and I can use the Phantom as well :-)
Appreciate 0