GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #45
jimmyca69
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
Well mine was in today - initially told it was my car seat, but after assuring them that was not the noise they said the exhaust heatshield was loose and they "re-positioned it and tightened it".

So we will see if the noise goes now, it wasnt often so probably wont know for sure for a while.

Whilst there i pushed on the service history for RIS not appearing in i-Drive, got to pick it up and again told not on this model so challenged master tech saying it is. He came back saying you are right, unfortunately i had to get back to work and so have to go back in Sat to get that done. They have offered to cover petrol costs for making me come back.

So overall not completely sure the noise was given the full attention, or if they checked the shocks as they may have thought "silly bugger it is the car seat". Or it could be that the heat shield was loose and causing the noise but not convinced.
      11-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #46
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Got mine back tonight, looks like mine has been fixed by replacing the shock and all of the components around it. Will see how it goes over the few days but so far so good..

They fixed the rattle in the door as well

RIS was also completed, it does feel different as it now revs a lot smoother than before although this could be the fact I had a diesel for the last week..
      11-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #47
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Got mine back tonight, looks like mine has been fixed by replacing the shock and all of the components around it. Will see how it goes over the few days but so far so good..

RIS was also completed, it does feel different as it now revs a lot smoother than before although this could be the fact I had a diesel for the last week..
Good news Scott. What do you think about it now you can give it the full beans?
Also, how does it feel now the 330d has gone? A bit different?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #48
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Quote:

Good news Scott. What do you think about it now you can give it the full beans?
Also, how does it feel now the 330d has gone? A bit different?
Well I have not had a chance to give it loads of beans but it does seem to rev a lot nicer and sounds good as it's gets to the higher revs..

It's very different and I need a few days to get use to it, you can tell there is a shed load more power but not as much instant torque.. Love the noise though
      11-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #49
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So the good news is I think the knocking is sorted but the fecking rattle in the door is back.

Back to the dealer on Monday until it's fixed.
      11-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #50
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So the good news is I think the knocking is sorted but the fecking rattle in the door is back.

That's a bugger Scott. It's a shame these M3/4s and F3x's can be a bag of shite sometimes when it comes to build quality. I think anyone is lucky it they get a rattle free car IMO.

My theory is the money is probably spent on performance, handling, dynamics and mechanics and the interior build quality is left somewhat neglected.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #51
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's a bugger Scott. It's a shame these M3/4s and F3x's can be a bag of shite sometimes when it comes to build quality. I think anyone is lucky it they get a rattle free car IMO.
I had one for the last week, no rattles at all.. To be fair I am being harsh as you really have to listen for it on a crappy road.

Problem is driving around in a 330d for the past week with no rattles at all makes me realise it can be done.

Might trade it in for an M6GC
      11-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #52
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I had one for the last week, no rattles at all.. To be fair I am being harsh as you really have to listen for it on a crappy road.

Problem is driving around in a 330d for the past week with no rattles at all makes me realise it can be done.

If you do go for something else, just make sure you get a good test drive first!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #53
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you do go for something else, just make sure you get a good test drive first!!
I will, the biggest problem I have is build quality. I really struggle with anything that isn't right.

My luck would be to buy the 330d touring and it rattle worse than the M4
      11-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #54
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I will, the biggest problem I have is build quality. I really struggle with anything that isn't right.

My luck would be to buy the 330d touring and it rattle worse than the M4
Haha, indeed.
This might be worth a read through on the M6 GC

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=165766

Some comments about flashing TC a lot more than the M3/4 and its quite a long car. I'd guess it pretty heavy too. Was talking about to the m tech guy the other day at my local dealer who has an M5... He described it as "lazy" although it'll go like hell when pushed. Didn't recon a lot to the brakes as its a heavy car to stop.

Will be fantastic car though. Clarkson loved it on that Australian thing they did.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #55
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Customer services at these dealerships is bloody terrible! Glad it's not just me that has problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #56
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

So car is in garage.... got a call to say could they keep it for further investigation and that a technical memo from BMW has asked them to strip and rebuild the brakes...... FFS....

I mentioned that this what was done last time it was in and it made no difference. The tech looking at the car said he can recreate the noise and ..... wait for it the noise seems to be coming from the the rear diff joint to axle.....

Great...
Appreciate 1
JovanUK141.50
      11-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #57
JovanUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 F83 CP, '18 M140i SHA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
So car is in garage.... got a call to say could they keep it for further investigation and that a technical memo from BMW has asked them to strip and rebuild the brakes...... FFS....

I mentioned that this what was done last time it was in and it made no difference. The tech looking at the car said he can recreate the noise and ..... wait for it the noise seems to be coming from the the rear diff joint to axle.....

Great...
Damn. Not what you want to hear Foggy.

Hopefully you don't need a new diff! They drag on with their lead times with these M differentials.

"If it depreciates, lease it. If it appreciates, buy it."
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #58
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovanUK View Post
Damn. Not what you want to hear Foggy.

Hopefully you don't need a new diff! They drag on with their lead times with these M differentials.
Guess i'll find out more tomorrow... one thing is for sure I don't want a better car than i have as courtesy, seems to be everyone that did is giving their cars back
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #59
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Well guess what today they have order a new shock!! It is supposed to be coming tomorrow which is far quicker than yours came scott. I wonder if they are starting to see a pattern and getting some stock levels up.

So got no car!! Worse thing is sold the wife's car yesterday so we don't one at all!! If mine isn't back tomorrow then they will need to give me a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 01:39 AM   #60
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well guess what today they have order a new shock!! It is supposed to be coming tomorrow which is far quicker than yours came scott. I wonder if they are starting to see a pattern and getting some stock levels up.

So got no car!! Worse thing is sold the wife's car yesterday so we don't one at all!! If mine isn't back tomorrow then they will need to give me a car.
At least they have found it.. Which side are they replacing?
      11-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #61
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Near side
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #62
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Just so I get this right, I've been getting a slight knocking noise over bumps and rumble strips, I have to have the radio down to hear it, it sounds like something is loose in the boot or the rear bench wasn't latched properly, it's not loud but is there.

Is that how you'd describe it?

I'm going to order the MP HAS kit tomorrow, so I'd like to get the shock sorted if it's an issue as I won't be getting the dealer to fit the HAS kit and don't want them trying to blame the other fitter for a faulty shock if I have the kit fitted before I get them to look at the car.
      11-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #63
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Just so I get this right, I've been getting a slight knocking noise over bumps and rumble strips, I have to have the radio down to hear it, it sounds like something is loose in the boot or the rear bench wasn't latched properly, it's not loud but is there.

Is that how you'd describe it?

I'm going to order the MP HAS kit tomorrow, so I'd like to get the shock sorted if it's an issue as I won't be getting the dealer to fit the HAS kit and don't want them trying to blame the other fitter for a faulty shock if I have the kit fitted before I get them to look at the car.
That's just how mine is. They couldn't really find anything wrong with mine but are ordering a new shock anyway. Will be interesting if it stops the issue.

Odd thing is that I noticed this noise on the day I picked the car up, so whether it's that or not I dunno. Will soon find out next week when it goes in.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      11-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #64
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Near side
Same as me then..

Yes Will that is the noise, it looks like a common fault. They changed mine but I can still hear it, it's no where near as bad but it's there.

Going back in next week to have that and the rattles looked at
      11-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #65
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Mines near side. Noise coming from left rear.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #66
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep