Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

11-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #155
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yas Marina Blue does look good under strong and natural light.
I live in Seattle we have strong natural light twice a year, about...

What M3 color looks good in strong natural rain with a full cloud cover?
Interlagos blue, stratus gray look great.
      11-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #156
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Last model we got two blues, that are very close in color, I thought that was odd. I was expecting to see San Marino blue available for this model. I guess not. Maybe during the LCI or comp package?
      11-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #157
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I doubt that when someone rolls up in this car, one would really say gross (in person).

All i see are ppl with the current blue not liking it. The rest are prob alpine white owners (most boring and played out bmw color of all time).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #158
cambit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE

since we're on the topic of Blue. This is the best blue.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #159
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
All i see are ppl with the current blue not liking it. The rest are prob alpine white owners (most boring and played out bmw color of all time).
I'm in neither of those camps. I'm a person who is looking towards getting an M car in the next couple of years (preferably the M2, if they make it), and want it in blue. But there's no way in hell I'd purchase it in this blue color, so I'd either have to go a diff color or custom (which I'm leaning towards anyway).
      11-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #160
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24
Quote:
I'm in neither of those camps. I'm a person who is looking towards getting an M car in the next couple of years (preferably the M2, if they make it), and want it in blue. But there's no way in hell I'd purchase it in this blue color, so I'd either have to go a diff color or custom (which I'm leaning towards anyway).
I want the m2 as well and im crossing my fingers. Did you see the renderings? That red looks nice as heck!!

My previous post was just a small little stir to the pot. But i still think alpine white with black accents is almost as played out as "murdered out"
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #161
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I doubt that when someone rolls up in this car, one would really say gross (in person).

I thought you had an AW?

AW's boring and dull. I wish I got space grey...

But you can mod AW reasonably to any extent and it'll still look decently good...so...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #162
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
But you can mod AW reasonably to any extent and it'll still look decently good...so...
AW was the "color" (actually an achromatic) that BMW featured the E92 M3 in at launch, and it does highlight the CF roof and look pretty good. I'm definitely ready for something different, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #163
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag
Quote:

I thought you had an AW?

Mine is jet black. Ive always loved black cars - 6 out of the 7 cars i have owned have been black.

Always thought that black looks the best when clean, but im finally realizing that it doesnt mean anything when it is dirty, has some dust or swirls and frankly im getting a bit lazy on the cleaning part (esp with the track days).

AW did look awesome with mods in the beginning but now its to the point of redundancy. Actually aw is like a blank canvas and the options are limitless with color splashes but too many white/black combos.

Did think space grey always looked better than alpine white though. When i had the evo i used to kick myself in the ass for not getting graphite grey (space grey equivalent).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #164
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambit View Post

Frozen Blue is awesome. My local dealer had one on the floor for a while however. When I had first looked at it they had it for a few months already. I considered it but ultimately decided not to get it for several reasons. If it took a good 6+ months for my dealer to sell that car resale will not be easy.
      11-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #165
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
AW was the "color" (actually an achromatic) that BMW featured the E92 M3 in at launch, and it does highlight the CF roof and look pretty good. I'm definitely ready for something different, though.
Yep!

Surprisingly my last 3 cars - an M3, an X5 and my 335i - have all been AW simply because they were purchases off the lot; I generally order my cars. All of my ordered cars were blues (..Topaz, Interlagos, etc.) or yellows (Phoenix and Dakar). My next M will be Sahkir Orange.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #166
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

It is fugly!!!!!
      11-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #167
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I'm with you as well. Gross IMO.
It is fugly!!!!!
      11-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #168
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I'm with you as well. Gross IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambit View Post

That Frozen blue is gorgeous but I'd hate to maintain it if it would be a daily driver. I don't have a garage either
      11-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #169
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

The E92 Frozen blue is based on Monte Carlo blue which IMO is even nicer unfrozen.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #170
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Jason,
I think is necessary to make a vote the Next M3 colors.!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #171
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Yup
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #172
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Blue just called...."WTF is going on"

Rule of thumb, if a color photographs badly half of the time it looks bad at least half of time under certain lighting in person.

Disappointing when BMW comes out with a special F1 Circuit Motorsport color and screws the pooch.

This is sad because blue in general is my overall favorite exterior color.
      11-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #173
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Yas Marina Blue does look good under strong and natural light. The only problem is that you have not seen it.

The spy photographs and recent pictures have not been indicative of the car in these elements. Again you have to be patient.
Sorry Scott, but no change in lighting is going to make YMB anything but strikingly unattractive and ill-fitted for an M car. There are going to be plenty of people that lap this color up just like there were plenty of lunatics that purchased Laguna Seca Blue. Just because people buy the color, doesn't mean that it's well-suited for the car's aesthetic. Let's look at atrocious stock color selection for the E92 M3, and keep in mind that I spent a ton of time with each color on many paint corrections:

Alpine White - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jet Black - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jerez Black - Black w/ blue metallic flakes, too similar to Jet Black, essence of color only visible under direct sunlight
Interlagos Blue - Dark blue that only looks attractive under direct sunlight, overlaps with LeMans
LeMans Blue - Too similar to Interlagos (dark blue), not particularly interesting and fairly bland, overlaps with Interlagos
Melbourne Red - Possibly the most dull and lifeless color ever introduced on a BMW. Bland and slightly maroon in tone make it unfitting for an M car
Silverstone II - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Sparkling Graphite - A dull, dark grey w/ little personality, overlaps to some degree w/ Space Grey
Space Gray - A masculine, aggressive metallic color that brought out the beautiful lines of the M3.

And now here we go again with a color selection that is bland, unattractive, and ill-matched with the M4's styling. A color shouldn't have to be seen under "specific lighting conditions" in order to be attractive. A color should look fantastic in the dark, under direct sunlight, and under overcast skies.

When will BMW finally grow a pair and offer a stock color selection that has some spirit and aggression in it? Oh right, probably never because that would steal the thunder of much of the Individual line. It worked on me: I bought a Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3. That was a color that fit the styling of the car to a tee.

Quote:
Yas Marina Blue or no blue at all. Or go Individual.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're saying "Either buy this vomit-inducing color or spend $5,000."

Sometimes I never understand the thought process behind a lot of BMW's decisions. You guys have the intelligence, taste, and talent to engineer a work of art like the M4, and then completely drop the ball when it comes to one of the most important elements of car design: Color selection. And I would be shocked to hear that there's any sort of exhaustive selection process behind these colors such as focus groups or internal polling. How come BMW M can't choose a color palette for the M3 that suits the car's styling: aggressive but not excessive, classy, and refined. The E36 might have been the last generation of M3s that had a decent color palette to choose from.

But none of this matters because BMW will continue to keep the decent colors behind the Individual paywall. That's a choice that I'm sure will net BMW a few more dollars, but does absolutely nothing for the people that have stuck with the brand for some time. This kind of behavior is exactly the reason my next car will be a Tesla Model S.

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 11-04-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #174
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
Sorry Scott, but no change in lighting is going to make YMB anything but strikingly unattractive and ill-fitted for an M car. There are going to be plenty of people that lap this color up just like there were plenty of lunatics that purchased Laguna Seca Blue. Just because people buy the color, doesn't mean that it's well-suited for the car's aesthetic. Let's look at atrocious stock color selection for the E92 M3, and keep in mind that I spent a ton of time with each color on many paint corrections:

Alpine White - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jet Black - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jerez Black - Black w/ blue metallic flakes, too similar to Jet Black, essence of color only visible under direct sunlight
Interlagos Blue - Dark blue that only looks attractive under direct sunlight, overlaps with LeMans
LeMans Blue - Too similar to Interlagos (dark blue), not particularly interesting and fairly bland, overlaps with Interlagos
Melbourne Red - Possibly the most dull and lifeless color ever introduced on a BMW. Non-metallic, bland, and slightly maroon in tone make it unfitting for an M car
Silverstone II - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Sparkling Graphite - A dull, dark grey w/ little personality, overlaps to some degree w/ Space Grey
Space Gray - A masculine, aggressive metallic color that brought out the beautiful lines of the M3.

And now here we go again with a color selection that is bland, unattractive, and ill-matched with the M4's styling. A color shouldn't have to be seen under "specific lighting conditions" in order to be attractive. A color should look fantastic in the dark, under direct sunlight, and under overcast skies.

When will BMW finally grow a pair and offer a stock color selection that has some spirit and aggression in it? Oh right, probably never because that would steal the thunder of much of the Individual line. It worked on me: I bought a Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3. That was a color that fit the styling of the car to a tee.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're saying "Either buy this vomit-inducing color or spend $5,000."

Sometimes I never understand the thought process behind a lot of BMW's decisions. You guys have the intelligence, taste, and talent to engineer a work of art like the M4, and then completely drop the ball when it comes to one of the most important elements of car design: Color selection. And I would be shocked to hear that there's any sort of exhaustive selection process behind these colors such as focus groups or internal polling. How come BMW M can't choose a color palette for the M3 that suits the car's styling: aggressive but not excessive, classy, and refined. The E36 might have been the last generation of M3s that had a decent color palette to choose from.

But none of this matters because BMW will continue to keep the decent colors behind the Individual paywall. That's a choice that I'm sure will net BMW a few more dollars, but does absolutely nothing for the people that have stuck with the brand for some time. This kind of behavior is exactly the reason my next car will be a Tesla Model S.
I can agree with some of your points, but disagree overall.

also, as a point of clarification, Melbourne is a metallic point. while I agree that Yas Marina is quite feminine and cheapens the look of the car, I disagree vehemently with the same being said of Laguna Seca. I still think that's one of the best colors ever offered by BMW, even though it's admittedly not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #175
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post

also, as a point of clarification, Melbourne is a metallic point. while I agree that Yas Marina is quite feminine and cheapens the look of the car, I disagree vehemently with the same being said of Laguna Seca. I still think that's one of the best colors ever offered by BMW, even though it's admittedly not for everyone.

I totally agree! Laguna IS ///M!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #176
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post

You're right about Melbourne, corrected that in my post.
Appreciate 0