Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
shifter
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

E-sys Error FEM_BODY: File for "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255" not found! [C012]

I am getting error File for "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255" not found! [C012] when selecting Read Coding Data for FEM_BODY.

This is what I am seeing:
1. Read and activate the FA. Then select Read ECU:
Name:  read_ecu.png
Views: 10592
Size:  148.2 KB

Note the CAFD name looks weird: "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255"

2. Right-click and select Read Config Data:
Name:  read_coding_data.png
Views: 9566
Size:  153.4 KB

3. Get the following error and the FEM_BODY module name gets corrupted with an appended "[yyyyyyy]" just like in the error box:
Name:  read_coding_data-error.png
Views: 9826
Size:  149.5 KB

I am getting this with and without the engine running.

Before this happened I had an unsuccessful "Code FDL" of the FEM_BODY. I do seem to have a file CAFD_00000794_012_037_100.ncd in the CAF folder at with a time stamp around the time the "Code FDL" error, which I did not save. Wonder if this has the proper name and if I can fix this.

I seem to be able to "Read Config Data" without errors for other CAFDs, say the EPS one above it.

The car is 2015 M3

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
The cafd is corrupt, follow Shawn's instructions for injecting new cafd.

Quote:
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the replacement CAFD from above => Select OK => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
I'm not a fan of running the engine while coding, as the alternator can introduce spikes in voltage. If you are only coding a single module, no PSU is needed, otherwise use a steady power supple or 20A charger to stabilize power.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
shifter
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The cafd is corrupt, follow Shawn's instructions for injecting new cafd.
I'm not a fan of running the engine while coding, as the alternator can introduce spikes in voltage. If you are only coding a single module, no PSU is needed, otherwise use a steady power supple or 20A charger to stabilize power.
Thanks, Tom!

This was spot on!
It seems I did the same stupid mistake the quoted poster did here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
And you should be. You have corrupted your FEM_BODY CAFD. It looks like you hit the dreaded Code Default Values, which you should never, ever, do, else you lost power during coding.

Now you must try and inject CAFD into ECU and VO Code it.

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired FEM_BODY => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on FEM_BODY (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
I must have right-clicked the CAFD and selected Code from the menu, instead of using the Code FDL button to the right... Very easy to overlook if you only do the occasional coding and think you still remember everything you read from 5 months ago from all over the place...

The FEM_BODY CAFD seems restored now and I was able to recode all I wanted in it.

Btw, I also did all the coding (the FEM_BODY CAFD replacement and several other FDLs after that) without the engine running. I had to only make sure to turn the ignition back on during the coding step if it had switched off before that to save the car battery... Probably stupid but I had already corrupted the CAFD so what did I have to lose... (Also I wanted to rule this out as the source of the corruption)
Appreciate 0