Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
M performance exhaust questions

Hi folks, I have a M4 competition on order.

One M performance upgrade I am considering is the M performance exhaust. I would ask my dealer to fit before I pick the car up.

Anyone there who has fitted one? If so I have a few questions.

I've been looking at the BMW M Performance exhaust system, titanium (£3,000.00) + BMW M Performance tailpipe trim in Titanium (£788.00)

Will the parts above completely replace the factory exhaust system?

When driving in comfort mode is it louder, too intrusive in the car?

I would get it fitted by my dealer & guess that as it's not a remap my warranty will still be valid?

Are there any deals going about to buy this?

Is there anything else i should take into consideration?

My intention is to improve the noise when in sport mode + improve the performance by fitting a free flowing exhaust

Thanks for help
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermack View Post
Hi folks, I have a M4 competition on order.

One M performance upgrade I am considering is the M performance exhaust. I would ask my dealer to fit before I pick the car up.

Anyone there who has fitted one? If so I have a few questions.

I've been looking at the BMW M Performance exhaust system, titanium (£3,000.00) + BMW M Performance tailpipe trim in Titanium (£788.00)

Will the parts above completely replace the factory exhaust system?

When driving in comfort mode is it louder, too intrusive in the car?

I would get it fitted by my dealer & guess that as it's not a remap my warranty will still be valid?

Are there any deals going about to buy this?

Is there anything else i should take into consideration?

My intention is to improve the noise when in sport mode + improve the performance by fitting a free flowing exhaust

Thanks for help
I personally would get the car and see how you find it, the comp pack exhaust is pretty good.

If you do buy one get it from Phil at Coltswold, £3k inc carbon tips!!
      02-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
mechanic75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Efficient mode there is no additional noise or intrusion than standard exhaust.

No improvement in performance from what I understand.

My mpg has taken a hammering though (fact) as my driving style changed without a doubt!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:31 AM   #4
X88-M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: (F80) M3 Competition

I had the M Performance exhaust fitted at delivery (along with the carbon tips and diffuser). Having also driven a previous M3 Competition without the MPE for a few months, it certainly does make a difference - but it's all in the noise as opposed to any measurable power gains. It also looks great!

In Comfort, the valves are shut and it's quiet - perfectly civilised. In Sport/ Sport + the noise is as you would expect. Louder (much louder) with more throttle response in Sport +.

The harder you push the louder it gets. Red-line it and it's thunderous. But that's what you want with the MPE. Cruising is non-intrusive even at higher speeds. I've never experienced any drone. My only complaint is cold starts. With valves open it's loud, but doesn't sound as good as it should until it settles and warms up. Cold starts in Comfort (default) however is just right - especially for the early mornings...

Price-wise, I got mine for around £3k for both exhaust and tips.

Hope that helps!

H
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #5
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I was quite shocked at how loud the MPE is when we done an exhaust sound-off at our last meet.

For just being a backbox system it has a great sound. I'm mindful there's been quite a few quality issues I've been reading about recently so something to be mindful about perhaps when spending £3k+
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 1
Foretrees762.50
      02-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #6
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

As above, i have the MPE on my M4 non CP, with the CG valve controller, videos are ok but to hear different systems in real time is the best way, i was behind Daz at the last meet and his Milltek on the CP is something else
      02-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
As above, i have the MPE on my M4 non CP, with the CG valve controller, videos are ok but to hear different systems in real time is the best way, i was behind Daz at the last meet and his Milltek on the CP is something else
Hi thanks to everyone for their help.

Is the CG valve controller an additional piece of hardware in addition to the MPE?

Does this allow you to say choose sport setting with the valve shut?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
JonnyB82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 (66) BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
the cg valve controller is a small cost effective electronic box that easily plugs inline with the existing exhaust valve connectors. it can be controlled via the supplied rf remote control. you can order it in whatever modes take your fancy, ie mine is set to automatically open valves when ignition is switched on (even when car is in economy engine map) so car sounds quite throaty all of the time, but when pressing the remote to 'on' it switches my valves to car default setting, so will give quiet startups early doors.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyB82 View Post
the cg valve controller is a small cost effective electronic box that easily plugs inline with the existing exhaust valve connectors. it can be controlled via the supplied rf remote control. you can order it in whatever modes take your fancy, ie mine is set to automatically open valves when ignition is switched on (even when car is in economy engine map) so car sounds quite throaty all of the time, but when pressing the remote to 'on' it switches my valves to car default setting, so will give quiet startups early doors.
Thanks for info. If I recall correctly when you switch to sport mode when I understand the valves would normally be open. Could you have a more responsive accelerator pedal and using the remote valve controller set the valves to shut? So that the exhaust was quieter?

One other question. Is the MPE a complete exhaust system.. I.E if I buy BMW M Performance exhaust system, titanium (£3,000.00) + BMW M Performance tailpipe trim in Titanium (£788.00)
Will this replace CAT & box and all down pipes?

Last edited by spidermack; 02-22-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:49 AM   #10
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Thanks for info. If I recall correctly when you switch to sport mode when I understand the valves would normally be open. Could you have a more responsive accelerator pedal and using the remote valve controller set the valves to shut? So that the exhaust was quieter?

One other question. Is the MPE a complete exhaust system.. I.E if I buy BMW M Performance exhaust system, titanium (£3,000.00) + BMW M Performance tailpipe trim in Titanium (£788.00)
No... MPE is one of the shortest systems out there. Retaining all cats iirc.

I can't wait to hear one in the flesh this weekend!
Appreciate 1
Foretrees762.50
      02-23-2017, 02:58 AM   #11
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
No... MPE is one of the shortest systems out there. Retaining all cats iirc.

I can't wait to hear one in the flesh this weekend!
Correct,
Retains the secondary cats, but removes the resonator.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:44 AM   #12
JonnyB82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 (66) BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you could run the car in sport or sport plus but with valves shut... but i can't say i would ever want to do that as i'm running the std exhaust. I just leave valves open all the time, unless i ever leave home at 6am, then it's set to default for 5 mins until i leave our estate.

So my settings are:

(Off Mode = CG VC Default at startup)

Off Mode: Flaps Open
On Mode: Flaps Default

If you wanted ability to completely close valves at will, you would have to decide on:

On Mode: Flaps Closed

or

Off Mode: Flaps Default

or if you wanted it to always default to flaps closed, with the requirement to press the key fobs on button to open flaps/or set to car default then:

Off Mode: Flaps Closed
On Mode: Flaps Open

or you could have (if you never wanted to force flaps open in Efficient)

choices choices... the cg valve controller is an easy diy fit, around 20 mins...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:00 AM   #13
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes you could run the car in sport or sport plus but with valves shut... but i can't say i would ever want to do that as i'm running the std exhaust. I just leave valves open all the time, unless i ever leave home at 6am, then it's set to default for 5 mins until i leave our estate.

So my settings are:

If you wanted ability to completely close valves at will, you would have to decide on:

or

or if you wanted it to always default to flaps closed, with the requirement to press the key fobs on button to open flaps/or set to car default then:

choices choices... the cg valve controller is an easy diy fit, around 20 mins...
Thank you very much for a comprehensive answer. It sounds like a worth while purchase
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Pie just to put a financial warning on going to that meet beware it will end up costing you a fortune and unhappy partner, oh well at least we are good at something.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #15
pie
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Package

Quote:
Thank you very much for a comprehensive answer. It sounds like a worth while purchase
If you are seriously considering buying one it might make more economical sense if we order together and split shipping costs from the US (I don't believe there's a UK distributor but I could be wrong?)

I also have a friend working out of the US just now and he is planning a visit to the UK around May time so if it can wait I could ask him to mail order in country and just take them back with him in his luggage.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #16
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

I'm also looking to get a CG Valve controller, so count me in please.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:

So my settings are:

or

I think this is incorrect.
You cant keep the valves shut all the time in sport+ with the valve controller, as the ECU overides this.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie View Post
If you are seriously considering buying one it might make more economical sense if we order together and split shipping costs from the US (I don't believe there's a UK distributor but I could be wrong?)

I also have a friend working out of the US just now and he is planning a visit to the UK around May time so if it can wait I could ask him to mail order in country and just take them back with him in his luggage.
I didn't realise you had to import. I'm in Austin TX in April. My car doesn't arrive until after my trip. I'm going to research a bit more. It sounds like it's a mod worth doing. Hopefully my local dealer would do when they fit the MPE (if I buy it)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realise you had to import. I'm in Austin TX in April. My car doesn't arrive until after my trip. I'm going to research a bit more. It sounds like it's a mod worth doing. Hopefully my local dealer would do when they fit the MPE (if I buy it)
Spider.,
I would say its a great mod, but i notice you are getting a Comp Pack ?. The Comp Pack exhaust valves are definitely mapped differently to the standard car, and in sport +, the valves are open longer, feels like all the time, but i dont know the exact %tage.
On my standard M4, i had the valves open for more effect, all of the time in comfort etc, but with the comp pack i have never used the valve controller at all, even though it is fitted, especially with the MPE. In sport modes, it is just awesome, maybe worth noting ?.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #20
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for everyone's help. I have emailed Costwold to get a price for a MPE with Titanium tips. I will also check with my dealer.

One other questions the MPE once fitted do the tips protrude further than bumper?

Last edited by spidermack; 02-23-2017 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #21
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help. I have emailed Costwold to get a price for a MPE with Titanium tips. I will also check with my dealer.

One other questions the MPE once fitted do the tips protrude further than bumper?
no more than the standard exhaust
Appreciate 3
Foretrees762.50
derekh929291.50
Wills28647.00
      02-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #22
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermack
The do extend further. Not only are they wider in diameter but they are straight/vertical vs original slanted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00