Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

adding a little water/meth for track days?

Hey Guys, is anyone running and water/meth for cooling on the track? I was just thinking something along the lines of like what the M4 GTS does. Basically it would be a STG2 93 octane BM3 tune where it would have still have the regular targets so technically you can run it with out water/meth, but you would add the water/meth just to get some timing back in and cool the charge air. then have the waste gate left open a little more earlier in the rpms to reduce torque.

so it would only be about 500whp, but it would still be 500whp after 20 minutes.

Thanks!
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Hey Guys, is anyone running and water/meth for cooling on the track? I was just thinking something along the lines of like what the M4 GTS does. Basically it would be a STG2 93 octane BM3 tune where it would have still have the regular targets so technically you can run it with out water/meth, but you would add the water/meth just to get some timing back in and cool the charge air. then have the waste gate left open a little more earlier in the rpms to reduce torque.

so it would only be about 500whp, but it would still be 500whp after 20 minutes.

Thanks!
You can't just add meth to your gts water injection tank without custom tune
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
OP isn't talking about a GTS, he's talking about trying to replicate what the GTS has on a regular M3.

I've wondered why more people aren't running exactly what the OP mentions, a water or meth injection system just to cool the IAT
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
OP isn't talking about a GTS, he's talking about trying to replicate what the GTS has on a regular M3.

I've wondered why more people aren't running exactly what the OP mentions, a water or meth injection system just to cool the IAT
Ops my bad. babysitting kids and reading at the same time is always a bad idea.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      09-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Ops my bad. babysitting kids and reading at the same time is always a bad idea.
No worries
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Wouldn't an E30 ethanol tune have a similar effect?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Wouldn't an E30 ethanol tune have a similar effect?
OP doesn't want a different tune or a different fuel. He wants to add the water/meth to reduce intake temps and let the engine make more power naturally.

At the track I can't buy E30 or any other content. I can buy 93 octane and 100 octane. It would be lovely to have a GTS-style system because I can bring 4gal of water/meth to the track
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #8
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Great idea for those hot days when power seems to really drop, 116° for example at Auto Club Speedway 2 weeks ago......
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
OP doesn't want a different tune or a different fuel. He wants to add the water/meth to reduce intake temps and let the engine make more power naturally.

At the track I can't buy E30 or any other content. I can buy 93 octane and 100 octane. It would be lovely to have a GTS-style system because I can bring 4gal of water/meth to the track

Exactly i just want to essentially run a stg 2 93 tune, but one where it wont pull timing. Even on the BM3 CS tune it will pull a lot of the timing out towards the end of the run and lose a few mph on the straight. So i know if i go with a higher HP tune it will be worse. Our track does have 100 octane so that might be an option also of putting 2 or 3 gallons in there, but i know the water also has a cooling effect. I don't want to do ethanol as i found out playing on the street on full E85 i can get it down under 10mpg, so on the track i would have to bring a couple 50 gallon drums

I think this can be done with a meth controller that activates at 80% throttle or 5psi of boost and the stealth tank, but i didn't want to be the first one...
F85 X5M
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Exactly i just want to essentially run a stg 2 93 tune, but one where it wont pull timing. Even on the BM3 CS tune it will pull a lot of the timing out towards the end of the run and lose a few mph on the straight. So i know if i go with a higher HP tune it will be worse. Our track does have 100 octane so that might be an option also of putting 2 or 3 gallons in there, but i know the water also has a cooling effect. I don't want to do ethanol as i found out playing on the street on full E85 i can get it down under 10mpg, so on the track i would have to bring a couple 50 gallon drums

I think this can be done with a meth controller that activates at 80% throttle or 5psi of boost and the stealth tank, but i didn't want to be the first one...
It surprises me the aftermarket hasn't come up with a GTS clone. It really isn't that hard.

The track guys like us would be allllll over it. 500whp is way more than most people can adequately exploit on track anyway
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

I had a basic Snow performance wmi kit installed in my n55 M2 track car. I usually flashed a OTS stg 2 93 tune for track weekends, but occasionally flashed BM3s ots Race Gas tune. The system produced beautiful logs esp for timing and IATs in the Texas heat..no knock / pre-detonation. I used one step colder plugs gapped .020. I also installed a meth supply line filter. I used a single Injection nozzle installed in a bung on the charge pipe. It was a basic / no frills boost pressure actuated system....much more sophisticated systems (ie aqaumist) are available. Properly installed, and once adjusted, the system performed flawlessly and did not require any unscheduled maintenance.
Keeping up with the mix was a bit of a head-ache. I had it adjusted to where I would consume around two-thirds to a full gallon over a 30 min track session...so a fill up between sessions was always necessary ( I only had a one gallon meth tank). I would typically haul between 6 to 8 gallons of pre - mix for a track weekend...which also is a bit of a pain. I would purchase 100% meth from a local race shop and mix my own 50/50 solution (by weight) at home, so WM cost was less than $3 / gallon.
So..all-in-all.....When properly installed, adjusted, and maintained ...wmi is totally do-able, safe, and beneficial on a de track car...permitting the use of more aggressive tunes (more ignition advance, more boost, etc) and lowering IATs...i just found it a bit cumbersome.
Btw..I did the install myself so total installed system cost was less than $500.

Last edited by M2C AW; 09-23-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
fanatic11018.50
sly1types431.50
      09-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C AW View Post
I had a basic Snow performance wmi kit installed in my n55 M2 track car. I usually flashed a OTS stg 2 93 tune for track weekends, but occasionally flashed BM3s ots Race Gas tune. The system produced beautiful logs esp for timing and IATs in the Texas heat..no knock / pre-detonation. I used one step colder plugs gapped .020. I also installed a meth supply line filter. I used a single Injection nozzle installed in a bung on the charge pipe. It was a basic / no frills boost pressure actuated system....much more sophisticated systems (ie aqaumist) are available. Properly installed, and once adjusted, the system performed flawlessly and did not require any unscheduled maintenance.
Keeping up with the mix was a bit of a head-ache. I had it adjusted to where I would consume around two-thirds to a full gallon over a 30 min track session...so a fill up between sessions was always necessary ( I only had a one gallon meth tank). I would typically haul between 6 to 8 gallons of pre - mix for a track weekend...which also is a bit of a pain. I would purchase 100% meth from a local race shop and mix my own 50/50 solution (by weight) at home, so WM cost was less than $3 / gallon.
So..all-in-all.....When properly installed, adjusted, and maintained ...wmi is totally do-able, safe, and beneficial on a de track car...permitting the use of more aggressive tunes (more ignition advance, more boost, etc) and lowering IATs...i just found it a bit cumbersome.
Btw..I did the install myself so total installed system cost was less than $500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C AW View Post
Thanks that's great feedback, I would put a small nozzle, but that does consume a decent amount. Is that consumption when running the stg 2 OTS or your race gas tune?

What size nozzle did you run? I'm just thinking on running 93oct, but running the stg 1 or 2 91 OTS tune then add a small nozzle for 50/50
F85 X5M
Appreciate 0