EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

10-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Keep or sell

Hello so I'm waiting on my car to be back from the body shop because I was recently involved in a hit and run & i been wondering if I should keep it after it's repairs or sell it.. how bad does the damage appear to you? Would you keep it after it's repaired? Parts replaced were a headlight, left fender & bumper. Car ran and drove perfect after the accident no oil coolers were busted.. drop some opinions. I didn't plan on selling it with only 24k miles but after this incident I'm second guessing. All expenses were out of pocket so I'm assuming it won't be reported to car fax.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
///M Performance
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition LCI

- how much is the damage on your car?
- whats next/ to alternative?
- costs of next?
- costs to fix the damages?
- expensive services in the next time?
- it was a good car before and without bugs?

when all is fine then i would prefer to drive it further and have long time to sheer driving pleasure! good luck for your choice
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I had similar damage on my f30 335i. Ultimately its going to come down to how well the car is repaired and your eye for detail.

Bumpers and headlights are easy replacement- what would concern me is the paint match for white and if they have to paint that fender that means they’re going to want to paint your door to blend the new color. When they blend your door that’s new clear coat that goes on which will automatically make the paint texture on your fender and door look different than the rest of the car and against that quarter panel. It’s white so texture hides better than say black.

It seems like a minor accident bud - you’re car is already going to take a hit for the damage and car fax so you need to look at the finances of what that means for your loan if you have one and how much it’ll cost to get into something new
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
I had similar damage on my f30 335i. Ultimately its going to come down to how well the car is repaired and your eye for detail.

Bumpers and headlights are easy replacement- what would concern me is the paint match for white and if they have to paint that fender that means they’re going to want to paint your door to blend the new color. When they blend your door that’s new clear coat that goes on which will automatically make the paint texture on your fender and door look different than the rest of the car and against that quarter panel. It’s white so texture hides better than say black.

It seems like a minor accident bud - you’re car is already going to take a hit for the damage and car fax so you need to look at the finances of what that means for your loan if you have one and how much it’ll cost to get into something new
I have the title in hand brotha & all expenses are paid out of pocket I doubt it'll go on car fax
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Performance View Post
- how much is the damage on your car?
- whats next/ to alternative?
- costs of next?
- costs to fix the damages?
- expensive services in the next time?
- it was a good car before and without bugs?

when all is fine then i would prefer to drive it further and have long time to sheer driving pleasure! good luck for your choice
I'm looking at about 3k to paint the new fender and bumper & blending into door.. parts were free but I'm just hoping I can get a good color match. It's alpine white not mineral so I have a better chance
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

I would keep ... just a cosmetic booboo imo
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
I would keep ... just a cosmetic booboo imo
Thanks brotha I need some positive vibes.. haha I hate to see my car like this just hoping paint shop does it's thing
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

I was rear ended and had the rear bumper and trunk replaced. Lights and frame were fine as it was a clean hit luckily. I was pissed because I wanted to buy my car out at the end of the lease and it happened with only 8k miles on my car.

Rallye Collision did a great job. I would say 9.5/10. The wheel had a .5" nick on it from the tow truck side rail and they refinished it for me. Unfortunately as with most refinishes on the shadow black 666m wheel it is lighter than the rest. That's my main complaint. Otherwise they knew I was picky and did their best to satisfy me.

Now that a year has passed I'm still considering buying out the lease. I have 14 months left and only have 14k on the clock with a 46k residual (82k msrp).

Yes, the accident will hurt but otherwise the car is flawless. I'm not a fan of the G80 looks so I could save a bundle just buying out my lease and enjoying it for a few more years.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyourplug33 View Post
I have the title in hand brotha & all expenses are paid out of pocket I doubt it'll go on car fax
If that’s the case make your decision based on how well it’s repaired.

Paint color match
Paint texture
Alignment of bumper and panels/gaps
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I was rear ended and had the rear bumper and trunk replaced. Lights and frame were fine as it was a clean hit luckily. I was pissed because I wanted to buy my car out at the end of the lease and it happened with only 8k miles on my car.

Rallye Collision did a great job. I would say 9.5/10. The wheel had a .5" nick on it from the tow truck side rail and they refinished it for me. Unfortunately as with most refinishes on the shadow black 666m wheel it is lighter than the rest. That's my main complaint. Otherwise they knew I was picky and did their best to satisfy me.

Now that a year has passed I'm still considering buying out the lease. I have 14 months left and only have 14k on the clock with a 46k residual (82k msrp).

Yes, the accident will hurt but otherwise the car is flawless. I'm not a fan of the G80 looks so I could save a bundle just buying out my lease and enjoying it for a few more years.
I'm glad to hear your repair went flawless.. I'm waiting on mines as we speak. What color was your car? How was the paint match?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad to hear your repair went flawless.. I'm waiting on mines as we speak. What color was your car? How was the paint match?
Alpine white which is apparently easy to match
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
Franco3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP MT

Quote:
Alpine white which is apparently easy to match
Same boat here. My car only had 600 miles on it when the driver's side door was dented (see picture) by a few stones that were thrown out a pick-up truck that was turning into my lane as I was merging. I claimed it as vandalism through my insurance, because to be honest, until this day, I don't know if the stones were thrown on purpose or if they came from the truck's bed, point is, the driver disappeared and I never caught up to him.

Long story short, $1700 to get the door repair and painted, they did paint the front fender as well to match. No way, anybody can tell the difference in the paint, the auto body shop did a fantastic job.

I do have the return vs buy dilemma coming up at the end of my lease next March. Originally, I was planning to buy the car outright at lease end, however, I am now having second thoughts as the incident shows up in Carfax as Vandalism. The car now has 13K miles so, maybe I will keep it. Unfortunately, the G80 just doesn't do it for me. I shouldn't have to get used to a car's look. When I saw the F80, I fell in love on day one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #13
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
That changes everything. No Carfax ding! I'd fix it and drive the hell out of it. 24,000 miles and minimal damage to me doesn't warrant unloading the car. A decent body shop will make it invisible, just shop around.
P.s...ya rarely see those wheels, 513M's FTW!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #14
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Won't know damage until you remove the bumper and have it inspected. Based on pics alone, it looks unlikely to have frame damage. Aside from the obvious headlight and bumper replacement, you may just need to replace the cross section support bar for the headlight (so it lines up right). If that's the case, it's really not a big deal and wont affect anything. If it's not frame damaged and not going on carfax, then just fix and keep it, and continue to enjoy it! It might even allow you to really enjoy the car now without worrying about it inevitably getting worn
      10-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Won't know damage until you remove the bumper and have it inspected. Based on pics alone, it looks unlikely to have frame damage. Aside from the obvious headlight and bumper replacement, you may just need to replace the cross section support bar for the headlight (so it lines up right). If that's the case, it's really not a big deal and wont affect anything. If it's not frame damaged and not going on carfax, then just fix and keep it, and continue to enjoy it! It might even allow you to really enjoy the car now without worrying about it inevitably getting worn
By any chance do you have a photo of the headlight support? I removed the headlight to install the new one but don't see any support besides the tabs that screw on. & my fender slightly got some damage on it. Heading over to the body shop this Friday to drop it off & decide weather the fender needs to be replaced or if we can save it & also not have to blend the door. Such a bummer
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #16
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

https://www.getbmwparts.com/v-2016-b...ents-and-rails

I believe it is part #9 (although I’m not 100% sure so please someone correct me if need be). It is essentially the rail that the back two screws of the headlight connect to - if that rail is bent the headlight won’t line up properly.

Doesn’t look like you fender needs replacing based on pics, but like I said depends on what’s underneath. Here’s the fender components page as well if it’s helpful: https://www.getbmwparts.com/v-2016-b...and-components
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Perfect opportunity for euro front bumper and lci headlights, don’t sweat it man. It’s not your fault. You will be back stronger
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #18
karlskry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Silverstone/Sakhir

that's nothing. these cars are built like tanks. If there was no structural damage and all looks good upon repair, i'd keep it.
Appreciate 0