proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
bmwgvsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

2016 Convertible - Top Issues

I know this is a long shot but I thought I would try and explain what's happening and if anyone has a suggestion other than taking it into the dealership..

My convertible top goes down fine.. There are no error codes or messages. This happened a couple of days ago for the first time.. When I try and put the top back up, 3 of the 4 windows (back right window does not move) when holding the top button and the top does not move either. again there are no warning messages like trunk open etc.. All windows work fine however if they are all up and then I hold the "4" window down button on the driver door.

Another odd thing, is that when I hold down the center console top down button again, the 3 windows that are halfway down at the time, go up an inch or two and then down again right away. Again nothing happens with the top or the right rear window.

When this happened the first time, I recoded all settings back to "stock" with E-sys and reflashed the tune I have with bootmod.. After that the top worked fine for a couple times and then last night, it did the same thing. I really don't think this is a coding or tune issue, but I'm wondering if something is "reset or rebooted" when I do the coding or bootmod that temporarily fixed the issue.

I know this is a weird one but any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
bmwgvsc
Private First Class
Rep

Quick update.. What it looks to be now is that the right rear window will not move or moves when it feels like it which is preventing the top from moving the windows the way it should and therefore will not close... So looks like I need to figure out why the right rear window won't move.. one suggestion would be the window actuator.. any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
bmwgvsc
Private First Class
Rep

This is fun... when pressing the window button it moves now but only goes up and down about an inch at a time before it stops... I’m thinking it’s the window regulator
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
bmwgvsc
Private First Class
Rep

If anyone should happen to be keeping a tally of the action..

I ripped everything apart and found a lot of corrosion in the connector for the window regulator.. I cleaned up it and the window is moving up and down but only an inch or so at a time.. Sure enough attached is the ISTA fault codes.. I'm going to try and clean the connector a little better with electrical circuit cleaner but more than likely I'm probably just going to have to replace it as I think its probably faulty..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
jzhu625
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f83

wow, very interesting. keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
bmwgvsc
Private First Class
Rep

So after replacing the motor it moves up and down an inch at a time again.. So now i'm thinking it's the connector itself as I'm seeing the same fault codes for a ground. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement connector or repair kit for it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0