GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

Inter cooler coolant low and oil smell

Hi all,

Due to bad PCV valve I had to change the to whole cover last week, while I was removing things to gain access I noticed that charged cooler coolant was low, I meant it was low. Anyways I went ahead and replaced the valve cover, closed everything, started the car and let it idle for about 30 mins. No problems what so ever about valve cover installation. I took the car to indy shop for oil change and asked them to top off the coolant tanks.
Today, I picked up the car and realized that charged cooler tank was still low, shop said that they refilled, so I asked them to refill again and started driving,after 20 mins or so I started smelling oil burn in the car and a small smoke from the rear side of engine
Which did not exist before oil change, now I am thinking that could be leak from charge pipe over the exhaust causing smell, smoke and explains low coolant in the charged cooler. Has anyone experienced leaky cooler? If so, what should I start looking into?
I am also thinking that smoke might be coming from valve cover gasket but I don’t think so because I did a very nice and clean job there
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
read this

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570544

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Wait.. you did a valve cover gasket change but had an Indy do an oil change?

Might need to do a smoke test to see if the gasket is leaking. Maybe the shop spilled oil when filling up?
Appreciate 0