proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #89
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07RPH View Post
Lol. I've read if only one rear fog is working it doesn't look like your constantly applying the brakes (and God forbid you get that non-complacent driver tailing you who won't realize when you're actually stepping on the brake).

You guys convinced me to code the right side now lol...
Hahaha, I was thinking, what if MBZ was only using one fog light to save on production costs? lol
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #90
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07RPH View Post
Lol. I've read if only one rear fog is working it doesn't look like your constantly applying the brakes (and God forbid you get that non-complacent driver tailing you who won't realize when you're actually stepping on the brake).

You guys convinced me to code the right side now lol...
Well, when you're on the freeway.....and some ass-monkey is like 2 feet from your tail at 75mph...hit that fog light switch. He'll slow down faster than you can say "oh damn that works great! I'm gonna thank the boyz on the forum for convincing me to do this!"

Works like a charm
      02-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #91
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Well, when you're on the freeway.....and some ass-monkey is like 2 feet from your tail at 75mph...hit that fog light switch. He'll slow down faster than you can say "oh damn that works great! I'm gonna thank the boyz on the forum for convincing me to do this!"

Works like a charm
Oh now you're driving 75mph lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #92
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The EU F8X headlamp switch will place icons in the buttons and illuminate when pressed. Or purchase the F3X version to get the foglamp icon, which can possibly be used for something else later on.
Hey Tom - purchased a F3X switch body on Ebay for $30 from a used parts service in the UK - whole part was as new - great buy. Put both lower and upper switches in however the upper (front) fog light switch has amber light but the lower (rear) fog light has no active light!! When depressed the icon in the dash comes on and the lights are coded and do come on - do I have a faulty LED or diode in the OEM assembly or does this somehow also ned to be coded - Again there was no light on when switches were out but one was on for the upper light. Problem now is I'd have a hard time convincing the dealership to fix this under warranty as technically it is not legally in use in the US, right?
      02-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #93
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Hey Tom - purchased a F3X switch body on Ebay for $30 from a used parts service in the UK - whole part was as new - great buy. Put both lower and upper switches in however the upper (front) fog light switch has amber light but the lower (rear) fog light has no active light!! When depressed the icon in the dash comes on and the lights are coded and do come on - do I have a faulty LED or diode in the OEM assembly or does this somehow also ned to be coded - Again there was no light on when switches were out but one was on for the upper light. Problem now is I'd have a hard time convincing the dealership to fix this under warranty as technically it is not legally in use in the US, right?
I am also waiting for my UK switch to arrive any day now. I'll be able to confirm if I have the same as you.

If it is the case, it isn't that bad since we have the rear fog indication in the cluster and the front fog in the button. It is the front fogs that bothers me the most presently since there is no indication to tell me they are on. At least all the visual cues are there .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #94
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
I ran into a similar issue when I was trying to install the rear fog button in my old e92. It looks like the LED or the controller chip on the board are not present in the US switch. It makes sense actually. Why would they put an LED in the US switch boards when we never have a rear fog setup? There is no coding you can do to make that light come on as the required components are simply not present on the board.

You have a couple options I think:

1. You have the UK switch module. You can reassemble it and install it as a whole. It will have the required LED and should work as normal. The only downside is you will have a non-functional headlight leveling wheel.

2. You can live with the rear fog button not lighting up.

3.a You can fully disassemble the UK switch module and take a look at the board inside. It might be possible to replace the board in your OEM switch module with this one. That way the button will light up but you can get rid of the useless wheel. This assumes you can install the UK board in the US switch.

3.b Another option would be to analyze the traces on the board and figure out what component(s) are missing from the US switch. If you have soldering abilities you can transfer the missing components from the UK board and the US board. This option does risk damage to the OEM module which could render it inoperable.

Last edited by jwzimm; 02-15-2016 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #95
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am also waiting for my UK switch to arrive any day now. I'll be able to confirm if I have the same as you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I ran into a similar issue when I was trying to install the rear fog button in my old e92. It looks like the LED or the controller chip on the board are not present in the US switch. It makes sense actually. Why would they put an LED in the US switch boards when we never have a rear fog setup. There is no coding you can do to make that light come on as the required components are simply not present on the board.

Thanks for the feedback guys - indeed had thought of messing with the board but not in any hurry as have a million other things to distract me right now. I can of course live without the rear fog switch light and may just do that - very happy to have the switches annotated with OEM components. Now I need to get Shawn Sheridan to do the coding to get the 'pseudo' front fog light trick to work in combination with my rear fog lights. Always a work in progress it seems

Cheers, C.

PS: I do see a shiny plastic/glass/LED circular light in the rear fog light enclosure - just doesn't work. Does seem surprising in that it would seem like more work/planning/organization than necessary to arrange for these US specific boards not to have that component as opposed to just leaving such an inexpensive piece there as common to all boards - but I guess these things add up!

Last edited by ciaranob; 02-15-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #96
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

If it is the case, it isn't that bad since we have the rear fog indication in the cluster and the front fog in the button. It is the front fogs that bothers me the most presently since there is no indication to tell me they are on. At least all the visual cues are there .
Would agree, the instrument cluster light is a good (if not better) indicator.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #97
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:

Mine was from Lithuania. But also used parts service. I initially transferred only the switches. Rear fog light did not illuminate. I then plugged in the whole housing - BAM! now they both light up

.......now if only someone can figure out how to activate/code the "headlight height" switch, next to the "brightness control".

AHEM! aHEM! Calling all coders!!!!!!
      02-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #98
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
.......now if only someone can figure out how to activate/code the "headlight height" switch, next to the "brightness control".

I thought that headlight height switch was only for old-school cars that didn't have auto-levelling lights? My '90s 318i had that way back - I didn't think it would be wanted these days?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #99
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Ha! This reminds me of back in the days of street racing here in Socal...on what was then called "turning on your ambers" (a signal to street race someone)!! Luv it!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #100
obmd1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SO F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene View Post
The car was already coded for rear fogs.
Out of curiosity, did you do European delivery? I'm trying to figure out why this may have been coded for you already. ( and hoping mine is)
      04-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #101
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
Out of curiosity, did you do European delivery? I'm trying to figure out why this may have been coded for you already. ( and hoping mine is)
I did ED and was not coded for it. I actually popped the switch out in Germany, shaved it so that it was active, but still needed to code it in order for it to function.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #102
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
[QUOTE=nene;17534789]Took a couple of snaps to post here, in case my details sounded confusing. Nevertheless, Tom's snaps from the original mod were extremely useful in getting this mod completed, and giving me the idea to try to pry the buttons off without having to remove the vent.

Thanks for the instruction it took less than 15 minutes to complete this mod.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:19 AM   #103
MattJ1320
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrv Sdn- 6sp Mpkg

Garage List
Quote:
Took a couple of snaps to post here, in case my details sounded confusing. Nevertheless, Tom's snaps from the original mod were extremely useful in getting this mod completed, and giving me the idea to try to pry the buttons off without having to remove the vent.

One thing I also found was a small mistake in the coding Tom. You have it showing both left hand side entries. Here is the correction:
REM -> 3063 -> Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output (Value = nsl_l)
REM -> 3063 -> Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output (Value = nsl_r)

This is the right way to do it- took less than 10 mins (for 2 cars) and absolutely no marks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #104
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Great information Tom, but I was able to simply pull each of the 2 buttons out without having to take out the vent or the whole switch.

I used a regular house knife. I covered the whole blade with painters blue tape. A couple of turns around the blade.
Inserted the covered blade tip on the button's edge closest to the driver's door.
Simply moved the knife towards the front of the car and the button came off.
Proceeded to cut the plastic stops as you showed. The car was already coded for rear fogs.
Worked great for me too! Thanks!
      08-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #105
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Quote:
Mine was from Lithuania. But also used parts service. I initially transferred only the switches. Rear fog light did not illuminate. I then plugged in the whole housing - BAM! now they both light up

So a EU switch will work fine so long as we complete the coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #106
X20A
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB E90 335i xDrive SE

Garage List
As I'm going to be getting this rear foglamp and front cornering light/fog mod done on my car, I went out and bought this Euro switch off eBay. I can't stand the blank buttons and non-backlit-ness.

Hoping that it's a simple PnP and won't require coding!

Since I took the image from ECS Tuning's website, going to leave the link to the product HERE.

The part # is 61319265303, if anyone else is interested in sourcing from elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
iatacs19456.50
      11-09-2017, 04:09 AM   #107
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
It should be noted, that on my F32 with LCI US Tailight Retrofit - the Rear Fog option no longer works

I went the full route with Euro Switch/coding when the original pre-LCI tails were installed & they worked great - very useful when used correctly. I drive very early for work & quite frequently there is fog so dense you can't see more than 10ft in front of you - these keep the drivers behind you aware that there is a car present BEFORE they come crashing in to you from the rear...

After the LCI Tail retrofit = nothing

Dash icon still lights but no action from tails

Apparently the LCI lights do not have a corresponding bulb/LED that can be activated by rear fogs as the pre-LCI do. Since F82 tails are same as F32 I would assume same condition would apply

I love the 'lava flowing' look of the rear tails, but unhappy about losing the rear fogs

If anyone can prove me wrong I would be happy to know
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #108
X20A
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB E90 335i xDrive SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
It should be noted, that on my F32 with LCI US Tailight Retrofit - the Rear Fog option no longer works

I went the full route with Euro Switch/coding when the original pre-LCI tails were installed & they worked great - very useful when used correctly. I drive very early for work & quite frequently there is fog so dense you can't see more than 10ft in front of you - these keep the drivers behind you aware that there is a car present BEFORE they come crashing in to you from the rear...

After the LCI Tail retrofit = nothing

Dash icon still lights but no action from tails

Apparently the LCI lights do not have a corresponding bulb/LED that can be activated by rear fogs as the pre-LCI do. Since F82 tails are same as F32 I would assume same condition would apply

I love the 'lava flowing' look of the rear tails, but unhappy about losing the rear fogs

If anyone can prove me wrong I would be happy to know
The rear fogs are working on my LCI tail-lights. Granted, I did go with the Euro spec ones, with the amber indicators. Not too sure if it helps for your case, since your tail-lights are US spec.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #109
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X20A View Post
The rear fogs are working on my LCI tail-lights. Granted, I did go with the Euro spec ones, with the amber indicators. Not too sure if it helps for your case, since your tail-lights are US spec.
Yes, thank you

I had heard the euro lci worked, that's why I specified I had US

Oh, well I got a great deal on them new so guess I shouldn't complain
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #110
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Bump Subscribed
Appreciate 0