Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #23
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpinkie View Post
So you've gone the other way. I'm in a 330d currently and pondering my next move. I like the effortless nature of the diesel but fancy a change into something with a bit more drama. I'm wary of going for an M or even a 440 and being unhappy or disappointed in some way like the OP.
Depends what you mean by effortless nature, a CP M3 will hit 100mph in roughly half the time it takes a 330d and therefore has huge reserves of power and performance compared to a 330d, nearly 200hp more in a car that weighs the same. Torque isn't an issue either as the M3 makes just as much for 2.5x longer than the 330d.

But that performance comes at a price, some would call it drama/urgency and poise others would call it noisy and harsh and think that a 330d is effortless by comparison, after all how fast do you need to go? (and the 330d is already a quick car)

I wouldn't urge anyone to buy an M3 because it's quicker than a 330d or 335d etc...because quicker doesn't, past a certain level = effortless in terms of the nature of the performance on offer.

I like my car not because it's quick but because of the way it feels to drive, it's urgent/sharp and poised everything a 335d xdrive isn't, as an example.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Wills2; 11-19-2016 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
dopper993528.00
      11-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesca80 View Post
...Looks wise, i thought the 335d was good but the M3 makes it look like Susan Boyle compared to Eva Longoria. So your comments that you wanted to take pics of the 530d and not the M3 surprises me. ....
Ok, I think I misled with that comment about the pictures! One thing I love is the look of the M3, its one of the best if not the best saloon on the market for looks, much better than any 5 series or 3 series or any other marque IMO.

I think what I was trying to get at is that I was so impressed with the 530d that it lead me to take a few pics ..... whereas I'm just not feeling it with the M3. So its not about the looks of the car, more about how I feel about the two if that makes sense!!!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #25
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

QUOTE=Wills2;20872335]Depends what you mean by effortless nature, a CP M3 will hit 100mph in roughly half the time it takes a 330d and therefore has huge reserves of power and performance compared to a 330d, nearly 200hp more in a car that weighs the same. Torque isn't an issue either as the M3 makes just as much for 2.5x longer than the 330d.

But that performance comes at a price, some would call it drama/urgency and poise others would call it noisy and harsh and think that a 330d is effortless by comparison, after all how fast do you need to go? (and the 330d is already a quick car)

I wouldn't urge anyone to buy an M3 because it's quicker than a 330d or 335d etc...because quicker doesn't, past a certain level = effortless in terms of the nature of the performance on offer.

I like my car not because it's quick but because of the way it feels to drive, it's urgent/sharp and poised everything a 335d xdrive isn't, as an example.

Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

I want a fast exciting relaxing comfortable practical economical luxurious sporty car that annihilates everything else on the road, looks fantastic, appreciates in value and preferably gets cleaner the harder you drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #26
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpinkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
I came from an F30 335d. I have zero regrets!
Better in every way, or accepting things you don't like cos on the limit is so good?
Apart from fuel consumption and traction in the damp / ice, my M4 is superior in every way to my 335d.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #27
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Depends what you mean by effortless nature, a CP M3 will hit 100mph in roughly half the time it takes a 330d and therefore has huge reserves of power and performance compared to a 330d, nearly 200hp more in a car that weighs the same. Torque isn't an issue either as the M3 makes just as much for 2.5x longer than the 330d.

Just my 2 cents.
Hey wills, I know you love your M3 and I appreciate your view on your car.

But you know I've always banged on about the torque of the big engined diesels.
Driving the M3 around town and the odd dual carriageway in Efficient it can feel as dull as dishwater. Put it into Sport is things liven up a bit but at the expense of more noise (good sometimes not others) and probably worse fuel consumption. Maybe I just want it lively straight out the box without having to crank up the settings (or revs).

Of course, get it on the open road and this is where the car shines, pretty much nothing will touch it, but you need to work it still. In fact I think this car is at its best on A/B roads. Its not best suited to the motorway (as I've mentioned above) and around town, you dont want to be revving the nuts off it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      11-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #28
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

I completely get where you're coming from Dopper, the F10 is a smashing car.

I think you'd love a F10 M5.
      11-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #29
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Apart from fuel consumption and traction in the damp / ice, my M4 is superior in every way to my 335d.
That's another thing I keep reading, in reviews and forums, that M car handling and traction is not as sorted as it should be. Presumably if you keep the traction control on then it's pretty benign? Or is that to completely miss the point of an M?!

What's it like in MDM mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #30
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
I completely get where you're coming from Dopper, the F10 is a smashing car.

I think you'd love a F10 M5.
See I agree - Andy you really should try one.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #31
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yes guys, the M5 would certainly have the torque I crave.

I don't need a diesel, I just want more torque and re-mapping the M3 is out of the question for me. A C63 is a bit pricey for me so the M5 does sound good......

But not sure about 15-20 to the gallon though

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #32
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Hey wills, I know you love your M3 and I appreciate your view on your car.

But you know I've always banged on about the torque of the big engined diesels.
Driving the M3 around town and the odd dual carriageway in Efficient it can feel as dull as dishwater. Put it into Sport is things liven up a bit but at the expense of more noise (good sometimes not others) and probably worse fuel consumption. Maybe I just want it lively straight out the box without having to crank up the settings (or revs).

Of course, get it on the open road and this is where the car shines, pretty much nothing will touch it, but you need to work it still. In fact I think this car is at its best on A/B roads. Its not best suited to the motorway (as I've mentioned above) and around town, you dont want to be revving the nuts off it.
I think my post wasn't about my love or otherwise for the current M3 (it has lots of niggles and is far from perfect) but I like M cars in general as I've had 5.

It was more about some peoples perceptions that "faster = less effort and more comfort" that might be the case going from a 318d to a 330d but they are exactly the same car but with a bigger engine.

The M3 is a different car completely and one that many could find to be "hard work" and not for them.

I completely get why you don't like your M3 and prefer the 335d.

In terms of the settings most mornings I press M1 which is set to Sport+ on everything and that's how a do my 210 mile Monday morning commute.

Sport+ and S3 or D3 reveal the real M3 the other settings are there because the marketing dept said people like to fiddle around.
      11-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #33
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's another thing I keep reading, in reviews and forums, that M car handling and traction is not as sorted as it should be. Presumably if you keep the traction control on then it's pretty benign? Or is that to completely miss the point of an M?!

What's it like in MDM mode?
What the journos go on about is all really down to the crap damping and slug of torque. Bumps can unsettle the standard car. Basically it just doesn't flow. CP is best out of box solution so far but can be improved.

As to TC, it's way better on 16 YR onwards. I still don't like it as it does rather try to take over when all is absolutely fine. MDM has very much been nannied down on the later cars, much I suspect due to crappy press reports. Shame. Putting map on has improved things as it's less inclined to intervene.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #34
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
See I agree - Andy you really should try one.
Only thing is he'd drive it in efficiency and ruin that as well!

(just kidding)
      11-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
QUOTE=Wills2;20872335]

I want a fast exciting relaxing comfortable practical economical luxurious sporty car that annihilates everything else on the road, looks fantastic, appreciates in value and preferably gets cleaner the harder you drive it.
The Porsche showroom is that way>>>>>>>>>>>!
      11-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #36
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

I will leave it there, that's without haggling or stunning purple silk one at Sytner HW

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.4-M5/B...cmdc=se_na_re_

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.4-M5/H...cmdc=se_na_re_

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.4-M5/R...cmdc=se_na_re_

Disclaimer I can't be held responsible by your Family it this thread causes financial pain

Last edited by derekh929; 11-19-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #37
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Porsche showroom is that way>>>>>>>>>>>!
That would be nice, but but on my budget sadly...
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      11-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #38
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What the journos go on about is all really down to the crap damping and slug of torque. Bumps can unsettle the standard car. Basically it just doesn't flow. CP is best out of box solution so far but can be improved.

As to TC, it's way better on 16 YR onwards. I still don't like it as it does rather try to take over when all is absolutely fine. MDM has very much been nannied down on the later cars, much I suspect due to crappy press reports. Shame. Putting map on has improved things as it's less inclined to intervene.
So buying advice is 16yr + and preferably CP?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #39
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
That Singapore Grey one is a lovely car - noticed when it arrived at Hailsham. Ridiculously large amount of car for dosh and don't forget they'd still get that through at new car rates.
Appreciate 1
derekh929291.50
      11-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #40
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Hard to not be tempted by that CP one 575hp for 58k.

What I will say as I ran a F10 M5 is that also does go to sleep in 7th (D1) whilst cruising in efficiency mode, you put your foot down a bit and nothing much happens, sounds like I'm talking rubbish but efficiency mode puts all M cars to sleep even the beast that is the M5.

Oh and the trade in on my 12 month old m5 was 40k, yes 40k!

Last edited by Wills2; 11-19-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
derekh929291.50
      11-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #41
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So buying advice is 16yr + and preferably CP?
MY16 or later. To CP or not to CP really is a personal thing as they are different. Non CP more rounded comfortable daily. CP bit raw. Try both!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #42
Yellowpinkie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
To CP or not to CP
As dilemmas go there's worse ones to have i guess...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #43
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hard to not be tempted by that CP one 575hp for 58k.

What I will say as I ran a F10 M5 is that also does go to sleep in 7th (D1) whilst cruising in efficiency mode, you put your foot down a bit and nothing much happens, sounds like I'm talking rubbish but efficiency mode puts all M cars to sleep even the beast that is the M5.

Oh and the trade in on my 12 month old m5 was 40k, yes 40k!
No, you are not talking rubbish about Efficiency mode and 7th on the motorway, but that's how most of us drive, steady cruise with the odd squirt now and again.
The thing is with the 335d a quick flex of the foot and you get instant pick up and pull. With the M3 you need to drop a cog or two then it will fly past the 335d, that's a fact. Just different characteristics of power delivery. I remember not long after I had it and driving down the A404 following a big diesel Audi, he foored it and so did I but he pulled away. Did I want to put mine in Sport, drop two cogs just to keep up? (then some comment from the wife about the revs and noise). No not really. Not a major issue, but that's one example of why I've said what I've said about the M3.

But what I loved about the 335d is that you push you foot down a mere 3 inches and it fooks off down the road pretty rapidly. It "feels" like a fast car all the time whereas an M3 is fast when you work it and change the settings.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #44
Oliver Queen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB/SO M3, 2016 F10 M5

For me, I didn't realize how great of a car the M3 was until I sold it lol. I came into a M5 which is also a great car but I feel like the M3 was more of a "fun" car despite the bad exhaust sound
2015 ML63 AMG
Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
JustChris17483.00