Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - New England

02-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Anyone here with an AWE Track or Switchpath?

Really interested in hearing these two exhausts in person because I'm not sure which route to go.

Either way, I'm going non res SwitchPath or non res Track, however, leaning towards the Track...if anyone in New England has either one and wouldn't mind letting me hear it, I'd appreciate it!

Appreciate 1
Rony31618.50
      02-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Stock DP , correct ?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarbul1 View Post
Stock DP , correct ?
Yeah.. preferably. I'm not going catless DPs so it would help to hear it with stock DPs

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Paz1
Banned
Rep

Okay just keep in mind the rule of thumb is
Stock Dp -> non res exhaust
Aftermarket Dp -> res exhaust
Also on the track it’s all straight pipe so there is DRONE ! Not sure about valves on the track I doubt it has that option.
Switchpath which I have and love . No drone , and valves. Valves is great if u have a lady or children and are taking ur car for a drive.
I’d highly recommend switchpath !
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarbul1 View Post
Okay just keep in mind the rule of thumb is
Stock Dp -> non res exhaust
Aftermarket Dp -> res exhaust
Also on the track it’s all straight pipe so there is DRONE ! Not sure about valves on the track I doubt it has that option.
Switchpath which I have and love . No drone , and valves. Valves is great if u have a lady or children and are taking ur car for a drive.
I’d highly recommend switchpath !
Thats originally what I was gonna do non res switchpath, but for some reason whenever I hear a non res switchpath in a video at WOT, it changes my mind.

I'm not sure why but the track version in videos sounds less raspy which doesn't make sense because of the straight pipes... which is why I wanted to hear it in person.

Yeah I figured it was gonna drone but I'm used to that and cool with it. My last two cars were FBO N54s and they droned like a mf!!

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
Paz1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post
Thats originally what I was gonna do non res switchpath, but for some reason whenever I hear a non res switchpath in a video at WOT, it changes my mind.

I'm not sure why but the track version in videos sounds less raspy which doesn't make sense because of the straight pipes... which is why I wanted to hear it in person.

Yeah I figured it was gonna drone but I'm used to that and cool with it. My last two cars were FBO N54s and they droned like a mf!!
I’d be more than happy to help out If your ever on Long Island NY!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

If anyone tells you there is no drone, they either don't have the exhaust or they are telling themselves that to justify their own purchase. This applies to Switchpath, Track, and even the Factory Exhaust.

When I got mine (switchpath, Non Res) there was no track edition yet. Even so, I would rather go switchpath simply because the valves are a luxury. Unless your intention is to delete cold start or always be annoying your neighbors, you'd probably be better off with a setup that can be civilized.

As someone else stated, Non Res + DP is just over the top loud (imo)

Would be nice to get a dB reading on track vs switchpath. I can't imagine the track one is that much louder.

Also OP, it's very tough to go by videos of these setups, but they are definitely loud. I'd say it'd be best to spring for the switchpath and a valve controller. It offers you the most flexibility at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
If anyone tells you there is no drone, they either don't have the exhaust or they are telling themselves that to justify their own purchase. This applies to Switchpath, Track, and even the Factory Exhaust.
I have the switchpath exhaust and there is no drone. I don't need to justify anything to anybody. I had a magnaflow... that droned a bit and I told everybody that asked that there was a little drone there. No need to convince myself there wasn't. The stock exhaust also droned a little if the valves were unplugged fully open. The switchpath with stock valve control does not drone. If it did, I would say it did. Because who the fuck cares?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
abnorM4l
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

I believe dtronics had awe switchpath if he's still on the forums. He said there was no drone.

I have Remus non-res with stock down pipes and do not have any drone. OP if you want to hear that sometime let me know.

The awe switchpath did sound pretty good when i heard it in person and there is no comparison to online videos.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:11 AM   #10
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

From what I've seen is that everyone's issue with the track is that it's too loud. I usually only drive my f82 on the weekends so that's not a problem for me.

I was really hoping someone would have one I could hear in person but honestly might just go for it lol. Worst case is I install a resonator and call it a day

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
From what I've seen is that everyone's issue with the track is that it's too loud. I usually only drive my f82 on the weekends so that's not a problem for me.

I was really hoping someone would have one I could hear in person but honestly might just go for it lol. Worst case is I install a resonator and call it a day
I have the Switchpath Non-Res with stock downpipes. Shoot me a PM if you want to try to arrange a get together so you can get a chance to hear it in person. Online clips rarely do it justice.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
cwhands
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I have the switchpath exhaust and there is no drone. I don't need to justify anything to anybody. I had a magnaflow... that droned a bit and I told everybody that asked that there was a little drone there. No need to convince myself there wasn't. The stock exhaust also droned a little if the valves were unplugged fully open. The switchpath with stock valve control does not drone. If it did, I would say it did. Because who the fuck cares?
Sorry, it appears I got you bent out of shape, wasn't speaking directly about anyone so not sure why you seem to have taken it so personally. We'll have to agree to disagree in regards to our (same) exhaust system.

The exhaust drones. BMW put it in writing regarding the factory one. If you use efficient throttle setting all day you might avoid drone. This is also why I mentioned that a valve controller offers greater flexibility. Have whatever throttle setting you want and you can keep the valves closed to avoid drone.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #13
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
Sorry, it appears I got you bent out of shape, wasn't speaking directly about anyone so not sure why you seem to have taken it so personally. We'll have to agree to disagree in regards to our (same) exhaust system.

The exhaust drones. BMW put it in writing regarding the factory one. If you use efficient throttle setting all day you might avoid drone. This is also why I mentioned that a valve controller offers greater flexibility. Have whatever throttle setting you want and you can keep the valves closed to avoid drone.
Not bent out of shape and didn't take anything personally. I was just trying to explain that I've got no reason to justify my purchase to anyone since I had a slightly droning exhaust before on my 2015 and I didn't feel the need justify that one either. But really, you're the first person I've seen here that says his AWE drones. And I'm agreeing that the stock exhaust droned for me when I used a valve controller to keep the flaps open.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
cwhands
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Not bent out of shape and didn't take anything personally. I was just trying to explain that I've got no reason to justify my purchase to anyone since I had a slightly droning exhaust before on my 2015 and I didn't feel the need justify that one either. But really, you're the first person I've seen here that says his AWE drones. And I'm agreeing that the stock exhaust droned for me when I used a valve controller to keep the flaps open.
In truth it doesn't bother me, but it's apparent on my drives down to NC/VA.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
JPOWER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 BLK VERT(F83)

I have the Track edition AWE Non-Res and it definitely drones no matter what setting you're on. I still love it though my wife would strongly disagree lol. i am considering doing Gintani DP since i have a stage 2+ on my car but i would be lying if i wasn't concerned with how much louder it will be if i did so. also, if you do get it make sure you get the 102mm Diamond Black tips as they look awesome and will fit with most after market rear diffusers. the burbles are insane and sound like gunshots when you have your car in sport or sport+.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #16
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

I actually bought the non res track version with 90mm black tips and I'm installing it today.

Hopefully it's as loud as I think it is

Edit: it's really loud

Appreciate 1
      03-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #17
Quampa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche

Quote:
I actually bought the non res track version with 90mm black tips and I'm installing it today.

Hopefully it's as loud as I think it is

Edit: it's really loud
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #18
ego74
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 e63 coupe

hi there! just wanted to add my two cents here... i have the resonated track exhaust on my m4. the sound of the exhaust is great - but there is one major issue for me - the droning - WOW is it bad.

let me give a little more detail, so i have the exhaust with the stock DPs and my car is a 6MT - i mention this because it affects the cruising RPMs. unfortunately, the resonance I get between 2500 and 3500 RPMs is completely unbearable. to the point where i was forced to convert to the switchpath (i.e. add the muffler). the 6MT sits at exactly that RPM range when cruising on the highway, so the track exhaust was a no-go for me. it made the car completely miserable to drive long distances.

again, i know this isn't exactly what the OP was after, but this is information i wish i had before i bought the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #19
HA55L3R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

I've had a few variations of the switchpath on my car, here's my thoughts:

non-res switchpath, stock dp: great sounding, little bit of drone, loud on WOT and quiet cruising

non-res switchpath, catless dp: sounds like a straightpiped bat outta hell, insanely loud all the time, noticeable drone, cold starts are so loud you cant hear your neighbors yelling at you

resonated switchpath, catless dp (current setup): much more refined version of the above, not much (if any) drone, loud on WOT but pretty quiet cruising

I live in the Boston area, let me know if you wanna hear it in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #20
ego74
Registered
Rep

hi there... i know i'm late to the party, but i have an m4 zcp with the awe track exhaust. i loved it for the first 2 weeks or so, but now i can longer take it - and that's for one reason and one reason only - DRONE.

O M G the highway drone is so bad. i should add that i have a 6MT, so that keeps the engine in what i call the "drone zone" when i'm cruising on the highway. but the drone is simply unbearable. i'll be converting to the switchpath very soon.

for some more detail - it's the ~2500 to 3300 rpm range where the exhaust resonates widly. to the point where you can't even comfortably maintain a conversation - you're yelling at each other. and forget about using the bluetooth phone!

i like the sound it has, but it definitely needs the switchpath.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #21
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego74 View Post
hi there... i know i'm late to the party, but i have an m4 zcp with the awe track exhaust. i loved it for the first 2 weeks or so, but now i can longer take it - and that's for one reason and one reason only - DRONE.

O M G the highway drone is so bad. i should add that i have a 6MT, so that keeps the engine in what i call the "drone zone" when i'm cruising on the highway. but the drone is simply unbearable. i'll be converting to the switchpath very soon.

for some more detail - it's the ~2500 to 3300 rpm range where the exhaust resonates widly. to the point where you can't even comfortably maintain a conversation - you're yelling at each other. and forget about using the bluetooth phone!

i like the sound it has, but it definitely needs the switchpath.
Resonated or non? Factory DP or catless?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 08:38 AM   #22
ego74
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Resonated or non? Factory DP or catless?
resonated with the factory DP.

also, to be clear, what i mean by drone is really resonance. there is a range of rpm where the exhaust sound resonates within in the car - similar to blowing over the top of a beer bottle and it makes that train whistle sound. in the range of about 2500-3500 rpm, this resonance occurs and it is unbearable. it makes me instantly shift to make it stop - but cruising on the highway in 6th gear, there's obviously no where to go.

in a nutshell, i do not recommend the factory DP + awe resonated track exhaust + 6MT m4 zcp setup.

Last edited by ego74; 10-31-2020 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 1