European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

Just checked mine and it says 331kw (450ps) so as expected for CP.
R.
Appreciate 1
Zippee363.50
      10-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #24
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry777 View Post
Thats the new one?

I wouldn't think they would lie about that, so I take that as fact. Is the emissions 194 on the V5c same as pre ppf?
Yes this is a September 2018 build with the particle filter.

CO2 is stated at 213g/km so higher.

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #25
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
How did you turn off ASD? I want to do mine but a bit concerned about before first service. Can't they pick it up with a program cheksum or are they not bothered?
You really don't need to worry about coding changes - they are just options in the cars configuration that BMW has chosen not to expose via iDrive. Quite different to messing with the engine management - which BMW locks down. Obviously if you make a hash of it and take it into BMW to fix they will probably charge you but that's the beauty of apps like Bimmercode where you can make these changes through a proven easy to use interface. Many code out ASD & Auto Stop Start (as someone who has mechanical sympathy I would think you would want to do that too - in Bimmercode you can change it to simply store the last setting as default - so you can still turn it on & off but it will stay as per how you switch it when you next use the car) as soon as the car arrives - when the cars go in for RIS & Servicing all is fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #26
eandy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

Is the fact it's more quiet at present possibly just a simple fact that its new and the exhaust so to speak isn't coked up yet and once the baffles are the tone will change and become louder as the internals get coated with carbon build up.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #27
higgy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
You really don't need to worry about coding changes - they are just options in the cars configuration that BMW has chosen not to expose via iDrive. Quite different to messing with the engine management - which BMW locks down. Obviously if you make a hash of it and take it into BMW to fix they will probably charge you but that's the beauty of apps like Bimmercode where you can make these changes through a proven easy to use interface. Many code out ASD & Auto Stop Start (as someone who has mechanical sympathy I would think you would want to do that too - in Bimmercode you can change it to simply store the last setting as default - so you can still turn it on & off but it will stay as per how you switch it when you next use the car) as soon as the car arrives - when the cars go in for RIS & Servicing all is fine.
Coding is a revalation to me. Previously I thought it was for computer geeks. However, with bimmer code on the iPhone it’s so easy. I’ve coded ASD off, start stop off, door handle lights in reverse and B&W enhanced audio. Might go for DRL on the rears next.

Brilliant app.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #28
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019MY F82 M4 CP SO

I have noticed the same thing as you: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23858459

As for comfort, it feels a bit better. One thing to note is that it always starts in Efficient/Sport/Sport while the 2018MY started in Efficient/Comfort/Comfort. It seems to me Comfort 2018MY has become the Sport in 2019MY and Comfort in 2019MY is a new softer setting.

I wasn't excepting so many changes in just a model year difference.

Also it now comes with a red Start&Stop button heh
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #29
bry777
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CP DCT 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Ok thanks will be turning of the racket. Yes stop start used to and still does occasionally make me cringe especially when it stops and 3 seconds later you have to pull away, the Audi one used to cut out before you stopped sometimes! The BMW stop start is absolutely crap. You stop put the handbrake and take your foot off the brake and it starts up agin, who thought of that I don't mind it so much when your standing for a minute or so but the systems are dumb, especially the BMW one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #30
bry777
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandy View Post
Is the fact it's more quiet at present possibly just a simple fact that its new and the exhaust so to speak isn't coked up yet and once the baffles are the tone will change and become louder as the internals get coated with carbon build up.
My exhaust (built May this year) isn't noisy either apart from the din when you start for the first 10 seconds, a lot noisier fro the toy town audio track in the car than the exhaust is making outside, In efficiency though.

Wouldn't the carbon build up make it quieter ? Reverb off hard shiny surfaces and all that?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #31
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

I believe the swap to steel drive shaft is it has a smaller diameter and the ppf housing is supposedly larger than the secondary cat housing so couldn't fit the larger CF one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #32
bry777
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srac View Post
I have noticed the same thing as you: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23858459

As for comfort, it feels a bit better. One thing to note is that it always starts in Efficient/Sport/Sport while the 2018MY started in Efficient/Comfort/Comfort. It seems to me Comfort 2018MY has become the Sport in 2019MY and Comfort in 2019MY is a new softer setting.

I wasn't excepting so many changes in just a model year difference.

Also it now comes with a red Start&Stop button heh
My 2018 (May) M3 CP DCT starts in Efficiency Sport Sport, I was told they have always done that? Annoyingly you cannot seem to change it, so i have had to program M1 to Eficiency Comfort Comfort

Last edited by bry777; 10-17-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #33
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Quote:
Where does the .1 bar increase info come from? I have googled to death and cannot find anything about it.
This article here....

https://carbuzz.com/reviews/2019-bmw...german-hot-rod
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #34
bry777
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Thanks. Guess that's why the fuel consumption has increased slightly. Farce isn't it, add a device to make it cleaner in one way, then ending up throwing out more CO2 because of the device
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #35
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Quote:
Thanks. Guess that's why the fuel consumption has increased slightly. Farce isn't it, add a device to make it cleaner in one way, then ending up throwing out more CO2 because of the device
Think the fuel and CO2 have increased due to changes in the way cars must now be tested to comply with the new WLTP standards.

Its the ripple-out effects of the whole vw dieselgate, with a bit of air quality concern too.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #36
bry777
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Think the fuel and CO2 have increased due to changes in the way cars must now be tested to comply with the new WLTP standards.

Its the ripple-out effects of the whole vw dieselgate, with a bit of air quality concern too.
WLTP tested then converted with an equation to NEDC value has been applied since September 17 to euro6 standards by most manufacturers. The new cars have to comply with euro 6D or temp from 1st September sold (and manufactured after 1st June) and that is why the filters have been fitted, obviously it will effect fuel consumption, a restriction in the exhaust and a bit more boost to overcome will do that. Cars manufactured before 1st June and not euro6D can only now be sold by "applied for" derogation until December this year as a temporary reprieve. After that scrapped. Thats why I managed to get a 68 plate M3, it was manufactured in May, no co incidence BMW stopped making them then. And the best prices ever and probably never repeated.

Be a couple of years before we get the proper WLTP figures and nothing else and cars that actually meet Euro 6 proper as they were supposed to (and claimed) 4 years ago! The current cars euro 6D (temp) can go 2.1 times over the limit!! But not from 2021. Think we are seeing the last of the cars we know and maybe already have.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #37
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I also heard an M2C on start up and it is considerably quieter now since the PPF.
      10-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #38
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:

WLTP tested then converted with an equation to NEDC value has been applied since September 17 to euro6 standards by most manufacturers. The new cars have to comply with euro 6D or temp from 1st September sold (and manufactured after 1st June) and that is why the filters have been fitted, obviously it will effect fuel consumption, a restriction in the exhaust and a bit more boost to overcome will do that. Cars manufactured before 1st June and not euro6D can only now be sold by "applied for" derogation until December this year as a temporary reprieve. After that scrapped. Thats why I managed to get a 68 plate M3, it was manufactured in May, no co incidence BMW stopped making them then. And the best prices ever and probably never repeated.

Be a couple of years before we get the proper WLTP figures and nothing else and cars that actually meet Euro 6 proper as they were supposed to (and claimed) 4 years ago! The current cars euro 6D (temp) can go 2.1 times over the limit!! But not from 2021. Think we are seeing the last of the cars we know and maybe already have.
Same here very late run non PPF build and the MPE before that was discontinued. Feels good to be last of the noisy cars

10-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #39
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandy View Post
My old M4 did get louder as it did more (hard!) miles but suspect the post-PPFs will be quieter and its just the way it is. I’m going to take the positives - my ‘quiet’ setting (M1) is now Sport engine mode which is a nicer drive for normal use with less of the boy racer boom at low revs. Just have to accept my spirited mode (M2) is quieter and longer term think about a new exhaust if it winds me up too much.

Talk in Porsche land is quite negative/worrying re the PPF modifications too. The beginning of the end ... get ‘em while you can.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #40
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Also wish I could find a ‘small bit of ASD’ coding option. I feel like they’ve increased the ASD volume on mine vs my previous vanilla ‘16 M4 - it is just unacceptably intrusive so had to be turned off. But then it is too quiet .. I could accept a small amount of ASD but it is just OTT.

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #41
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
Also wish I could find a ‘small bit of ASD’ coding option. I feel like they’ve increased the ASD volume on mine vs my previous vanilla ‘16 M4 - it is just unacceptably intrusive so had to be turned off. But then it is too quiet .. I could accept a small amount of ASD but it is just OTT.

R.
If I remember rightly, with Bimmercode you have a few volume levels you can set it to?

I think the conclusions with regard to post July PPF/OPF cars is they are quieter. How much so compared to a pre July car is yet to be seen (heard) because the ones that are out and about are pretty much still under or around 1200mile pre RIS and probably not fully bedded in.

Does it bother me? No, not really. Disappointed? Yes, a bit. Two of the reasons going in to an M4 was 'noise and poise' over my 435d. I am absolutely sure, even with a quieter exhaust, the 'noise' part of my requirement will be fulfilled.

Having chatted to Paul at PCW, the work he will do will still open it up somewhat (he's doing the first ppf M this week I believe so will be glued to his newsfeed for videos). The overall package of the M4CP more than makes up for a bit of a lack of noise (which was never really the main selling point of F8x's anyway!).

If I just wanted noise, I'd have got a 5.0 Mustang
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #42
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

I think some have claimed volume can be set but I think that setting is for which hifi system you have ... I will recheck.

Completely agree with your other points ... and it still sounds fine - I am not a big hater of the S55 sound like some and to me it still sounds like a twin turbo I6 which is what it is - so works for me.

My non-CP M4’s ‘poise’ was really great - superb on b-roads and much better on track than it had any right to be. I drove it back to back with a Caterham to see if it was worth buying a third car ... the M was just as fun and exploitable although costly to track given brakes etc. I went off the idea. The new CP is noticeably better. I can defintealy live with the sound reduction.

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #43
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Some more driving and it is already starting to loosen up a bit. My old M4 got louder with age so maybe it will happen here too. It is still a little on the quiet side but I can now hear the burbles nicely which I just couldn’t right away.

Also, when I had my vanilla M4, I didn’t really want to believe the magazines when they raved about the suspension difference between the non-CP and the CP - but it is clearly firmer but at the same time smoother over uneven surfaces and flows much better down the country roads where I live ... really quite impressive. That plus the small but important tweak to steering feel (maybe just the tyres and suspension changes) really does elevate it.

Just now I can’t notice any more power - the 19ps difference is negligible in any case ... my old one was plenty fast enough for the real world ... and so is this!

R.
Appreciate 2
Zippee363.50
Srac82.00
      10-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #44
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Very reassuring mate
Appreciate 0