Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #89
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
I know lol which is what I am trying to figure out. At least one or two others in this thread have had re occurring same issues. I have replaced the hubs and re built the calipers in addition to changing the pads and rotors this go around and am hoping that fixes it once and for all. About 500 miles on the clock with the new setup and so far so good. Fingers crossed.
Hopefully that solves it for you

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #90
reggatta4545
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 Mineral Gray

Quote:
I know lol which is what I am trying to figure out. At least one or two others in this thread have had re occurring same issues. I have replaced the hubs and re built the calipers in addition to changing the pads and rotors this go around and am hoping that fixes it once and for all. About 500 miles on the clock with the new setup and so far so good. Fingers crossed.
I have same issues as you used to have, after a couple of tracks I started feeling vibrations on the pedal when I break after 50 or 60 mph, After trying bedding and even cold down the rotors I decide to replace it all, all four Rotors and brake pads, never track again I drive hard but I try never to push more than necessary the brakes but I feel that the vibrations never went gone since day one.
So after all that you have been through, what do you recommend me? Check the bearings on the arms first before changing again the rotors and pads or just change it all?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #91
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Just as an update, I finally got a chance to swap the pads last weekend. The Hawk ceramics I wanted were on back order but I found a set of Akebono ceramics.

Without bedding them in or doing any kind of hard braking, the shudder I would get between 40-60mph was reduced by about half. Uneven pad deposits was the only thing that made sense anymore, so I'm hoping over the next few weeks as the pads clean up the rotors a little more, the problem will continue to lessen and eventually be gone. Fingers crossed lol
      08-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #92
RobEM4
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
Just as an update, I finally got a chance to swap the pads last weekend. The Hawk ceramics I wanted were on back order but I found a set of Akebono ceramics.

Without bedding them in or doing any kind of hard braking, the shudder I would get between 40-60mph was reduced by about half. Uneven pad deposits was the only thing that made sense anymore, so I'm hoping over the next few weeks as the pads clean up the rotors a little more, the problem will continue to lessen and eventually be gone. Fingers crossed lol
Hi. Wondering if you're noticing further improvements since replacing the pads and your last post? I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy.

I really want to believe it's pad deposits. I'm feeling like it is as per 'Powerslide's' Post (#47) that it could be to do with DSC - I am definitely noticing a lot of heat radiating from the front wheels (brakes) when coming to a stop when I haven't been driving hard. A passenger even commented on it when they got out of my car last week.

I don't want to confuse matters but I also have a very odd issue and wondering if you perhaps have the same thing which may point to the DSC bit..... if i drive relatively fast round a roundabout and then come off the accelerator, the car starts drifting away from the roundabout (towards the kerb) very noticeably. This isn't understeer as I'm off the power at this point and I can turn the steering wheel harder towards the roundabout or just apply a bit of acceleration to bring it back in. It's quite an unnerving feeling as it no longer drives towards where the steering wheel was pointing previously if I'm off the power. I'm more than happy to delete this last paragraph if this is completely unrelated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #93
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEM4 View Post
Hi. Wondering if you're noticing further improvements since replacing the pads and your last post? I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy.

I really want to believe it's pad deposits. I'm feeling like it is as per 'Powerslide's' Post (#47) that it could be to do with DSC - I am definitely noticing a lot of heat radiating from the front wheels (brakes) when coming to a stop when I haven't been driving hard. A passenger even commented on it when they got out of my car last week.

I don't want to confuse matters but I also have a very odd issue and wondering if you perhaps have the same thing which may point to the DSC bit..... if i drive relatively fast round a roundabout and then come off the accelerator, the car starts drifting away from the roundabout (towards the kerb) very noticeably. This isn't understeer as I'm off the power at this point and I can turn the steering wheel harder towards the roundabout or just apply a bit of acceleration to bring it back in. It's quite an unnerving feeling as it no longer drives towards where the steering wheel was pointing previously if I'm off the power. I'm more than happy to delete this last paragraph if this is completely unrelated.

Cheers
It hasn't changed too much from when I first swapped them out unfortunately. It still shudders a little between 40-60mph but it seems random because sometimes it's more pronounced than others. It's still better than it was with the stock pads though so I'll give it a little more time.

I haven't had any DSC/steering issues like that thankfully. That doesn't sound all that fun!
      08-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #94
RobEM4
Rep

Ah ok - cheers for the quick response and update :-). I'm going to do a few tests over the next few days with a temperature gun ok the discs with DSC on and off and see if there's anything there or if I'm looking into it too much. I hope your brake judder gets better and I'll report back once I've done some testing.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50
      08-08-2020, 01:48 AM   #95
RobEM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
As a note, if you are installing new OE rotors then don't bed them in until the cross patterns on the discs have been worn off. Just perform moderate braking for the first 500km. The cross pattern is on the OE discs to allow the pads and discs to form a true parallel surface. No idea why BMW do this, as aftermarket rotors have no cross pattern surface and good to go from the start.
Good advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #96
RobEM4
Rep

Ok - so I've just been out for approx one hour and doing the following. Had really bad pad deposits with several outlines of the pads. Brakes ALREADY feel smoother:

DSC Fully Off.
Drove to 70mph braked at about 50% down to around 15 to 20mph.
Accelerated to approx 40mph for three minutes to allow brakes to cool
Repeated around 12 times so far.

Photos are of the visibly worst deposits from the same disc before and after.

I'll continue over the next few days and update again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #97
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Quote:
Ok - so I've just been out for approx one hour and doing the following. Had really bad pad deposits with several outlines of the pads. Brakes ALREADY feel smoother:

DSC Fully Off.

Thanks for the update and that seems like a good strategy since bedding with heat will only make the vibration worse. Let us know how it goes with another round.
      08-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #98
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
As a note, if you are installing new OE rotors then don't bed them in until the cross patterns on the discs have been worn off. Just perform moderate braking for the first 500km. The cross pattern is on the OE discs to allow the pads and discs to form a true parallel surface. No idea why BMW do this, as aftermarket rotors have no cross pattern surface and good to go from the start.
Good to know, thanks for the advice!
      08-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #99
RobEM4
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update and that seems like a good strategy since bedding with heat will only make the vibration worse. Let us know how it goes with another round.
For sure!

Did another lot today and it's definitely feeling better. I'm currently putting it down to the DSC being switched off as that's the only change I've made. I've also been measuring the disc temperatures and they are low (approx 65C) when I'm pulling up on my driveway which is as I would expect on 'normal' drive (not driving hard). I'll keep updating here over the next week :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #100
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DSC Fully Off.

For sure!

Did another lot today and it's definitely feeling better. I'm currently putting it down to the DSC being switched off as that's the only change I've made. I've also been measuring the disc temperatures and they are low (approx 65C) when I'm pulling up on my driveway which is as I would expect on 'normal' drive (not driving hard). I'll keep updating here over the next week :-)
Thanks and What pads do you have on the car?
      08-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #101
RobEM4
Rep

Ferodo DS2500 at the moment. Ordered some DS1.11 track pads which are coming later this week. Also ordered a flex-hone to clean the disc surfaces properly and remove any pad material before fitting the track pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #102
Swifty0824
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Hello guys,

I'm having exactly the same problem - my brake judders when it's hot and only happens between 40 - 60 mph.

My brake began to judder after 1,000 miles into brand new front disc and pads. I now swapped my pads to DS2500 and I can barely notice any deposit on the disc but it still judders. Will continue driving for another 4 - 6 weeks solve this problem? If not I'm thinking about getting the disc skimmed.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #103
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty0824 View Post
Hello guys,

I'm having exactly the same problem - my brake judders when it's hot and only happens between 40 - 60 mph.

My brake began to judder after 1,000 miles into brand new front disc and pads. I now swapped my pads to DS2500 and I can barely notice any deposit on the disc but it still judders. Will continue driving for another 4 - 6 weeks solve this problem? If not I'm thinking about getting the disc skimmed.

Cheers
Welcome to the club... let us know how it goes with the new pads.
      08-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #104
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Welcome to the club... let us know how it goes with the new pads.

It's very interesting tho - when I just picked up the car the judder was around 80 mph. I bought the car used with manufacturer warranty and there are rust on the front anyway so I got new front disc and pads for free then the nightmare begins.

Although the car is still under 12 month warranty I just can't be bothered to leave the car with dealer for a week to let them replicate the issue and having them keep throughing new disc and pads on plus they refuse to provide courtesy car due to covid

Without much of knowledge I did some heavy braking from 60 to 20 last night and it seems like the judder is mitegated, will see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #105
RobEM4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty0824 View Post
Hello guys,

Cheers
Don't get your rotors turned - I made that mistake and ended up replacing them as it didn't fix the issue. Only for the issue to reappear within around 600miles or so on the new rotors.

I've been driving DSC off for a week and a half now and it's definitely making a difference although not fully fixed. This weekend coming I'll be using a flex-hone on the rotors and replacing the pads which I'm suspecting will fix the issue - I'll post back and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:15 AM   #106
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
Don't get your rotors turned - I made that mistake and ended up replacing them as it didn't fix the issue. Only for the issue to reappear within around 600miles or so on the new rotors.

I've been driving DSC off for a week and a half now and it's definitely making a difference although not fully fixed. This weekend coming I'll be using a flex-hone on the rotors and replacing the pads which I'm suspecting will fix the issue - I'll post back and let you know.
Hello mate,

Thank you for the reply and what do you mean by having the disc turned?

I've met another m3 owner who suffered from brake judders and then he switched to DS2500 and had the disc skimmed which he said completely solved the problem so I'm not sure should I keep driving with DS2500 for a couple of more weeks or just get it skimmed straight away.

Also not sure the judder would do any damage to the suspension?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:57 AM   #107
RobEM4
Rep

'Turned' on a lathe I believe is a different terminology for skimming; I could be wrong. Anyway, don't do it (yet). I'll post back wtb my results of honing the rotors first.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 05:24 AM   #108
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
'Turned' on a lathe I believe is a different terminology for skimming; I could be wrong. Anyway, don't do it (yet). I'll post back wtb my results of honing the rotors first.
Cheers mate

Here's a picture of my disc as you can see on the edge there are marks...before I switch to DS2500 it's worse now it's been rubbed off quite a bit but still don't know why it's like this tho

Last edited by Swifty0824; 08-21-2020 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #109
RobEM4
Rep

For some reason I can't see the image you've posted. The only way my pad deposits have been removed has been by driving with DSC fully off - that's all I can put it down to at the moment. Perhaps there's a problem with my car (and potentially similar/same issue with other cars) or perhaps I'm looking into this too much although it's been like it for some time now and this is the only thing that's been working for me. My pad deposits were coming from DS2500 pads btw - maybe I'm just unlucky!

I'll update after I've honed the rotors at the weekend :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #110
Swifty0824
Rep

Quote:
For some reason I can't see the image you've posted. The only way my pad deposits have been removed has been by driving with DSC fully off - that's all I can put it down to at the moment. Perhaps there's a problem with my car (and potentially similar/same issue with other cars) or perhaps I'm looking into this too much although it's been like it for some time now and this is the only thing that's been working for me. My pad deposits were coming from DS2500 pads btw - maybe I'm just unlucky!

I'll update after I've honed the rotors at the weekend :-)
I spoke with a guy today and after looking at the pitcure of my disc he said it is clearly something is 'dragging' the disc and put pressure on it which caused the judder. Normally it comes back after 1,500 miles but for me it only took 500 miles.

He suspect the uneven surface of wheels where it mates the hub is the culprit which could caused by wheel refurbishment. I bought the car used from a BMW dealer so it's highly possible they've done so prior to sell the car.

If this is the truth then it explained why the judder will come back with only disc skimming.

I've booked in for next week to have all four wheels check and front disc skimming, and will update how it goes. Hope we all get this problem sorted
Appreciate 1
EricVR4603.50