Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

03-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
AllNatty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80

Shop and Build Advice

So I've been running a BM3 Stage 2 Tune with full exhaust for awhile now and I want more power..

I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading the turbos as I've seen a lot of people very happy with the results.

I'm also convinced it would be a good idea to do some crank hub preventative measures.

What are the best shops around the Mid-Atlantic that could help me out with the whole thing?

What do you think I should expect to spend for everything?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

I just completed a major build. Need to get EALm4 to organize a local meet. Usually a good range of mod F8X to check out. Past seasons we've held dyno days.
Appreciate 1
EALm43346.50
      03-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
I just completed a major build. Need to get EALm4 to organize a local meet. Usually a good range of mod F8X to check out. Past seasons we've held dyno days.
I'm down for meet
      03-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
AllNatty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking.. what did you do exactly? and through which shop? Cost? Results?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

This is a timely subject. I used to be in the know on shops, but it's been a while.
      03-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
iewgnaw
I'm in your face
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

After seeing the EAS writeup on the full crank hubfix, I don't know any shops in the dmv area that I could do this with 100% certainly. I always go to induktion motorsports for the bigger jobs. Maybe I will call them to ask if they are interested in doing it for a group of us?
Wheels:Volk TE37SL Mag Blue 18x9.5/18x11
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidduLs View Post
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking.. what did you do exactly? and through which shop? Cost? Results?
I suggest MaximumPSI in NJ about 3 HRs from DMV area. maximumpsi Mike has served as beta tester for most of the turbo kits and performance parts made for F8X platform. I can't speak highly enough of his reputation, and skills.

I'll post up my build after I dial in the suspension, pocket some time slips and photo shoot.

MaximumPSI CHS $3850 out the door.

Pro
Proven track record. Record holder on multiple bmw platform. Competitive pricing. Build, race and sell in-house parts ( DP, intake,Crankhub).

Cons
Scheduling

If you want to stay local then I suggest speaking with Ahmad @ East Coast Euro. His shop is in Gaithersburg MD. While they work mostly on Benz I've seen them build a few other Euro. I believe he is the current 1/4 record holder for Benz CLK and recently reset the Audi TTRS/RS3 1/4 record (9.6@148) with one of his build.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #8
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidduLs View Post
So I've been running a BM3 Stage 2 Tune with full exhaust for awhile now and I want more power..

I'm tossing around the idea of upgrading the turbos as I've seen a lot of people very happy with the results.

I'm also convinced it would be a good idea to do some crank hub preventative measures.

What are the best shops around the Mid-Atlantic that could help me out with the whole thing?

What do you think I should expect to spend for everything?
If you are willing to take the trip, we have done plenty of Turbo / Crank hub jobs and would be happy to help you out.
Appreciate 1
EALm43346.50
      03-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I can vouch for Autocouture and their shop. James and I had our DME's unlocked, down pipes, charge pipes, mids, etc...installed there. Very nice shop cool people.

I wouldnt take a crank hub job to Induktion. Ed is a good guy but I think his techs are more catered to the standard performance installs and maintenance.

qmp dyno day for sure is needed. Plus track days
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
iewgnaw
I'm in your face
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
If you are willing to take the trip, we have done plenty of Turbo / Crank hub jobs and would be happy to help you out.
how many hours is the full crank hub fix job?
Wheels:Volk TE37SL Mag Blue 18x9.5/18x11
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by iewgnaw View Post
how many hours is the full crank hub fix job?
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #12
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

New Shops?

*Thread Bump*

Has anyone come across shops closer to the DC area that may be handy at putting in the crankhub fix for the S55?

I've been looking at tuningtechFS in Crofton, MD and Pure Automotive in Millersville, MD, but haven't reached out to either yet.

Anyone have any experience with them or have another shop in mind that would be able to perform the install?
      12-29-2019, 10:58 PM   #13
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
*Thread Bump*

Has anyone come across shops closer to the DC area that may be handy at putting in the crankhub fix for the S55?

I've been looking at tuningtechFS in Crofton, MD and Pure Automotive in Millersville, MD, but haven't reached out to either yet.

Anyone have any experience with them or have another shop in mind that would be able to perform the install?
RRT?
      12-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #14
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FastEuro View Post
RRT?
http://www.rrtautomotive.com/ in Sterling might be good, but unfortunately still a hike for me.

With a limited number of resources to pick me up from whatever shop does the install, I'm trying to avoid a two hour uber ride home.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #15
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FastEuro View Post
RRT?
http://www.rrtautomotive.com/ in Sterling might be good, but unfortunately still a hike for me.

With a limited number of resources to pick me up from whatever shop does the install, I'm trying to avoid a two hour uber ride home.
It is a 2 day job, probably the most intensive thing you'll do to the car, so I'd take it to the best shop possible and just get a rental.
      12-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #16
copafred87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

GT Peace Auto in Chantilly. Free loaner vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
adeelio
Rep
Drives: Black F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by copafeel87 View Post
+1 Galen and Shawn ftw
      01-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #18
Maddiction
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 964

Quote:
Originally Posted by copafeel87 View Post
Has anyone had them or RRT do the crank hub fix? Looking at getting mine done too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #19
dheanswer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AY F82

For what it's worth, I took mine straight to the source - MaxPSI. Dropped it off on a Saturday and picked it up Thursday the following week. I did it for the peace of mind knowing that they've done the fix multiple times (Mike can probably do it with his eyes closed).

I go to GTPeace for other things. Great group of guys there.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #20
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheanswer View Post
For what it's worth, I took mine straight to the source - MaxPSI. Dropped it off on a Saturday and picked it up Thursday the following week. I did it for the peace of mind knowing that they've done the fix multiple times (Mike can probably do it with his eyes closed).

I go to GTPeace for other things. Great group of guys there.
Did MaxPSI install they're own or SSR's? According to their website, they're sold out, and I understand it's a discontinued product now.

OP - I've used RRT a few times. The shop is top notch, but I'm not sure they've done a crank hub solution. Give Alex or Mike a call. They'll be able to tell you what's up.

Good to know about GTPeace Auto. Always a plus to have another quality shop around the DMV.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #21
dheanswer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AY F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Did MaxPSI install they're own or SSR's? According to their website, they're sold out, and I understand it's a discontinued product now.

OP - I've used RRT a few times. The shop is top notch, but I'm not sure they've done a crank hub solution. Give Alex or Mike a call. They'll be able to tell you what's up.

Good to know about GTPeace Auto. Always a plus to have another quality shop around the DMV.
I went to them early last year before they discontinued the product.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #22
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep

Spoke with GT Auto a few days ago and they prefer doing the VTT spline lock kit vs the MaxPSI due to the installation needing to drill into the crank.

I'm not looking to build any kind of dragster, just get some piece of mind with BM3 and some turbos / downpipes, so now I'm on the fence between MaxPSI and VTT...