proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
chinook387
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f83 m4

Black door leather trim spots

I picked up my car a month ago or so and a couple of days ago I noticed some spots on the door leather up near the window. Thought it was water spots or something but it doesn't wipe off.

If I touch with my finger it feels just like the rest of the peice, so isn't rough or anything.

I am not sure if it's been there since I got it, it's tough to see actually so I may have just noticed it now. The photo does a good job to bring it out.

My main theories are it might be hand sanitizer stain from me, a valet or previous owner? Or splash from when I got windows tinted, is that possible do they use chemicals which could hurt the leather like this?

Do you think this is correctable with leather cleaner or a different method? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? What can I do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Yeah, try a leather cleaner with a soft bristle brush and a microfiber towel and see it if comes off or not.

Could be the liquid tint guys use, I had similar stains on my plastic door cards.
      11-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
chinook387
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yeah, try a leather cleaner with a soft bristle brush and a microfiber towel and see it if comes off or not.

Could be the liquid tint guys use, I had similar stains on my plastic door cards.
When you say door cards you mean the bottom edge of the door frame?

I also noticed a spot there and it wasn't easy to get off the plastic. I feel like sanitizer would not have stained plastic like that so must be the tint stuff.

How did you remove off your door frame?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook387 View Post
Quote:

I also noticed a spot there and it wasn't easy to get off the plastic. I feel like sanitizer would not have stained plastic like that so must be the tint stuff.

No, I don't have full leather interior so the upper bit that's covered in leather on your door is plastic on mine.

I used Nanolex interior cleaner for the plastic bits. Works a treat. Can also use diluted IPA for that sort of staining on plastics.
      11-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
chinook387
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, I don't have full leather interior so the upper bit that's covered in leather on your door is plastic on mine.

I used Nanolex interior cleaner for the plastic bits. Works a treat. Can also use diluted IPA for that sort of staining on plastics.
What is IPA?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 03:02 AM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What is IPA?
Iso propyl alcohol, mate
      11-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
What is IPA?
India Pale Alcohol

Quote:
Iso propyl alcohol, mate
You're half right, it's a type of Alcohol. IPA Beer can be quite refreshing.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      11-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #8
chinook387
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I tried the bmw leather and upholstery cleaner and also the leather care kit.

Unfortunately no luck. They didn't even lighten up or look better at all.

I will try the bmw leather foam cleaner next. I'm feeling though these stains aren't coming off.

May have to take to professional retailer to see if they can work some magic.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
chinook387
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have now tried bmw foam leather cleaner. No luck. I'm almost 100% convinced it's hand sanitizer from the previous owner.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Would Lexol or Adam's be better than bmw stuff? I assume they are all similar. I'm thinking the leather was burned by the hand sanitizer and is scarred so not sure how I can fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #10
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Quote:
I have now tried bmw foam leather cleaner. No luck. I'm almost 100% convinced it's hand sanitizer from the previous owner.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Would Lexol or Adam's be better than bmw stuff? I assume they are all similar. I'm thinking the leather was burned by the hand sanitizer and is scarred so not sure how I can fix it?
Ask your dealership for their leather repair guy. He can dye that area and fix it. My bolster repair was amazing
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
chinook387
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEof500 View Post
Quote:

Ask your dealership for their leather repair guy. He can dye that area and fix it. My bolster repair was amazing
Great suggestion!

I will try to call them this week.

I was thinking another option would be to use a black leather cream. Or possibly leatherique.

I will keep updating this post.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:16 AM   #12
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
India Pale Alcohol

You're half right, it's a type of Alcohol. IPA Beer can be quite refreshing.
Sorry, mate, I'm sober so don't know what any of the stuff above means.

OP, hope you'll get it sorted out with the re-dying.