GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #1871
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
I bought one day of coverage through OpenTrack this year, to allow a bunch of friends to drive my car during a private track day. Excellent process and price for $60k.

I think I'm at or close to 20 track days this year and can see the allure to annual insurance, but without coverage for time trial events it's hard to swallow.

There are undoubtedly circumstances outside of my control that could total my car, but generally I'm confident about simply dialing it back if the signals necessitate.
      11-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #1872
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I just bought a mustang worth of car parts. Hopefully this makes me faster.
Appreciate 4
      11-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #1873
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Hah! Do tell sir...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #1874
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
you and me both!

If I can't break 60 seconds at Lime Rock next season it's time for BM3 and race slicks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #1875
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Hah! Do tell sir...
Basically just the things Shadow has/recommended plus some of the things he advised against.

MCS 3 way
Alcon BBK
Full SPL
Turner Diff Mount
New Wheels
Core4 Hub+Studs

*Still have to pick a seat.
*Hopefully Bimmerworld swaybar whenever that's out.

I had a lot of fun on the track this past year, more so than years past. I feel like this should give new life to the car for a few years.
Appreciate 2
biofluke102.50
SYT_Shadow11403.00
      11-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #1876
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Basically just the things Shadow has/recommended plus some of the things he advised against.

MCS 3 way
Alcon BBK
Full SPL
Turner Diff Mount
New Wheels
Core4 Hub+Studs

I had a lot of fun on the track this past year, more so than years past. I feel like this should give new life to the car for a few years.
Nice.... as my winter upgrade I'm also doing the Turner diff plate with Powerflex purples all around. The mechanic who will be doing the work for me also suggested to replace the side seals while we're at it, which probably makes sense, so something to think about when you do yours. A good number of reports of those failing floating around, and given that I don't plan on getting rid of the car for the time being better now than having to drop everything again later.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #1877
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Yeh I'm hopeful the knocking noise owners mention isn't the end of the world.

Are you referring to side bushings when you mention seals, or are there actual seals somewhere? I ask because the package I purchased has 6 bushings.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #1878
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeh I'm hopeful the knocking noise owners mention isn't the end of the world.

Are you referring to side bushings when you mention seals, or are there actual seals somewhere? I ask because the package I purchased has 6 bushings.
Not the bushings, the seals at the output shafts
Check out https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...447&page=2
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #1879
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Hah! Do tell sir...

MCS 3 way
Alcon BBK
Full SPL
Turner Diff Mount
New Wheels
Core4 Hub+Studs

Handsome investment congrats on that setup! Get some help setting up those 3 ways. Hope you're investing equal $$$ in instruction, coaching, and track time.
      11-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #1880
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not the bushings, the seals at the output shafts
Check out https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1482447&page=2
Thanks. I do remember reading about these.

My issue with doing these is there are numerous posts of people having them replaced, and then having them leak again. Or having diff fluid replaced and then having the seals go.

I replaced my diff fluid myself earlier this year and the seals are not leaking. I don't want to get into a situation of doing preventative maintenance on these when they're not leaking, and then have the new ones start to leak.

I question if this is not service related issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #1881
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:

MCS 3 way
Alcon BBK
Full SPL
Turner Diff Mount
New Wheels
Core4 Hub+Studs

Congrats on the new parts!

Your shopping list looks similar to mine, although you're looking one step further down the rabbit hole. I am still trying to keep my car a street/track hybrid, against the devil on my shoulder telling me to make it track only.

I just ordered a bunch of Turner stuff on their cyber Monday sale, including the diff plates and bushings. The vendor I'm working with keeps trying to talk me out of 3way MCS and is suggesting a 2 way MCS, Moton or AST but I'm likely going to go the MCS 3way route anyway. Can't wait to get rid of these leaking Bilsteins B16Ds (worst warranty process ever by the way).

Are you making this a dedicated weekend/track car? Are you going to go a half cage or harness bar also to go along with the seat? Again, I had considered doing this, but don't want to give up the back seats.

When you say full SPL, do you mean every product they offer? I went with Dinan monoballs and rear toe arms but am not sure how much the other parts will help steering feel versus the increase in NVH, besides adding some adjustability. On my last audi I was constantly replacing bearings when I got rid of all of the bushings and it was a huge hassle.

Also, on the Core4 website, I don't see an option for F80. Did you contact them directly about this?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #1882
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Quote:

MCS 3 way
Alcon BBK
Full SPL
Turner Diff Mount
New Wheels
Core4 Hub+Studs

if you want to try out some OMP seats let me know, I have a few sitting around and I'm pretty local
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #1883
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I bought one day of coverage through OpenTrack this year, to allow a bunch of friends to drive my car during a private track day. Excellent process and price for $60k.

I think I'm at or close to 20 track days this year and can see the allure to annual insurance, but without coverage for time trial events it's hard to swallow.

There are undoubtedly circumstances outside of my control that could total my car, but generally I'm confident about simply dialing it back if the signals necessitate.
Hagerty/ RLI offers time trial insurance...

https://www.rlicorp.com/track-day
Appreciate 2
DRLane3959.00
fanatic11018.50
      11-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #1884
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post

Your shopping list looks similar to mine, although you're looking one step further down the rabbit hole. I am still trying to keep my car a street/track hybrid, against the devil on my shoulder telling me to make it track only.

I just ordered a bunch of Turner stuff on their cyber Monday sale, including the diff plates and bushings. The vendor I'm working with keeps trying to talk me out of 3way MCS and is suggesting a 2 way MCS, Moton or AST but I'm likely going to go the MCS 3way route anyway. Can't wait to get rid of these leaking Bilsteins B16Ds (worst warranty process ever by the way).

Are you making this a dedicated weekend/track car? Are you going to go a half cage or harness bar also to go along with the seat? Again, I had considered doing this, but don't want to give up the back seats.

When you say full SPL, do you mean every product they offer? I went with Dinan monoballs and rear toe arms but am not sure how much the other parts will help steering feel versus the increase in NVH, besides adding some adjustability. On my last audi I was constantly replacing bearings when I got rid of all of the bushings and it was a huge hassle.

Also, on the Core4 website, I don't see an option for F80. Did you contact them directly about this?
My plan when going MCS and BBK was either going complete, meaning full top end suspension, additional suspension components, and a race BBK, or not doing anything at all and just replacing my stock rotors which are toast and keeping my HAS suspension. I literally had an excel sheet of costs with 3 tabs: high cost, low cost, and low cost 2. As I told the guy at Bimmerworld, I want to go big and if I regret it in the long run, at least I tried it and can learn from it if it turns out to be a mistake. Had I just gone the low cost route, I'd constantly just question the decision.

I only do ~5000 miles per year at most and I can't say my intent is to make this a track car despite these parts. I don't plan to do any aero and will keep my full interior; although I may get the Team Schirmer front splitter and wing a year from now depending on how things turn out with these parts. Like SheerPleasure, the plan is just a seat and the quick fit pro for the interior.

Regarding, full SPL, it's full SPL in terms of what was recommended to me. I was told not to get sway bar endlinks so that's omitted, but otherwise it's all of the other parts. I debated going Turner instead, but their pricing didn't make sense and the offering wasn't 1:1 with SPL in terms of items available so it was difficult to compare.

And yes, I reached out to Core4 directly. It's $1800 for 4 hubs/studs. It would be $1300 for new OEM hubs and MSI studs, so I felt this made some sense. I plan to do the hubs and BBK install myself.

In terms of vendors, unfortunately Bimmerworld seemed to be the only large vendor carrying MCS and Alcon; well only vendor carrying Alcon. Turner and ECS offered Brembo, JRZ, KW, etc.
You can get a very slight discount on the MCS package from Bimmerworld if you deal with one of their reps.
Appreciate 1
biofluke102.50
      11-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #1885
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Quote:

I know, but not in Colorado.
      11-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #1886
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post

My plan when going MCS and BBK was either going complete, meaning full top end suspension, additional suspension components, and a race BBK, or not doing anything at all and just replacing my stock rotors which are toast and keeping my HAS suspension. I literally had an excel sheet of costs with 3 tabs: high cost, low cost, and low cost 2. As I told the guy at Bimmerworld, I want to go big and if I regret it in the long run, at least I tried it and can learn from it if it turns out to be a mistake. Had I just gone the low cost route, I'd constantly just question the decision.

I only do ~5000 miles per year at most and I can't say my intent is to make this a track car despite these parts. I don't plan to do any aero and will keep my full interior; although I may get the Team Schirmer front splitter and wing a year from now depending on how things turn out with these parts. Like SheerPleasure, the plan is just a seat and the quick fit pro for the interior.

Regarding, full SPL, it's full SPL in terms of what was recommended to me. I was told not to get sway bar endlinks so that's omitted, but otherwise it's all of the other parts. I debated going Turner instead, but their pricing didn't make sense and the offering wasn't 1:1 with SPL in terms of items available so it was difficult to compare.

And yes, I reached out to Core4 directly. It's $1800 for 4 hubs/studs. It would be $1300 for new OEM hubs and MSI studs, so I felt this made some sense. I plan to do the hubs and BBK install myself.

In terms of vendors, unfortunately Bimmerworld seemed to be the only large vendor carrying MCS and Alcon; well only vendor carrying Alcon. Turner and ECS offered Brembo, JRZ, KW, etc.
You can get a very slight discount on the MCS package from Bimmerworld if you deal with one of their reps.
I assume you worked with Austin at BW? You're walking into an amazing setup for which you'll be very happy.

Might be worth considering dust boots for the SPL heim joints. Something Ground Control offers, but I did on the SPLs myself. If you do, spend the $ on the installer as the boots are a huge pain in the ass to install without.

Curious why you were told to skip the adjustable sway bar links? I'd think those are mandatory for coilovers.

Add HANS device (or whatever brand) to the list.
Attached Images

11-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #1887
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:

After breaking a couple of MSI studs, core4 seems like a logical next step and a great safety feature. All of my studs broke in the same place, the shoulder where the threading stops on insert.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #1888
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post

Thanks for the lead, priced out pretty expensive out here in California for TT

1 event weekend up to 3 days = 70% of annual open track policy

Last edited by fanatic1; 11-30-2021 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Context
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #1889
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
if you want to try out some OMP seats let me know, I have a few sitting around and I'm pretty local
Thanks. I'll reach out to you when the time comes.

Quote:
Quote:
I assume you worked with Austin at BW? You're walking into an amazing setup for which you'll be very happy.

Might be worth considering dust boots for the SPL heim joints. Something Ground Control offers, but I did on the SPLs myself. If you do, spend the $ on the installer as the boots are a huge pain in the ass to install without.

Curious why you were told to skip the adjustable sway bar links? I'd think those are mandatory for coilovers.

I did chat with Austin and a few others during the past few weeks, but ultimately dealt with Joshua.

I'll look into the dust boots as you mention. Seems like a good idea. I'll ask Bimmerworld about it today.

I skipped the SPL sway bar links per the recommendation of one of the install shops I spoke to; Bimmerworld added their sway bar links to my invoice which I questioned the need for due to the initial shop recommendation of not doing it. If you say they're necessary, that likely explains why Bimmerworld added them without me requesting them. I guess I'll reach out and swap out to the SPL ones.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by MaX PL; 11-30-2021 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #1890
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

I run stock endlinks in my E90 and F80 coilover cars
Appreciate 1
EGbeater113.50
      11-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #1891
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I'll reach out to you when the time comes.

Quote:
Quote:

I did chat with Austin and a few others during the past few weeks, but ultimately dealt with Justin.

I'll look into the dust boots as you mention. Seems like a good idea. I'll ask Bimmerworld about it today.

I skipped the SPL sway bar links per the recommendation of one of the install shops I spoke to; Bimmerworld added their sway bar links to my invoice which I questioned the need for due to the initial shop recommendation of not doing it. If you say they're necessary, that likely explains why Bimmerworld added them without me requesting them. I guess I'll reach out and swap out to the SPL ones.
Thanks for the info.
Just double check lengths - Per Syt, it might not be a requirement. I've always thought it was but I'm on JRZ suspension so perhaps the positioning on the strut is different.

If you want to corner balance, I think the adjustable are helpful to ensure no preload.
      11-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #1892
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
With some aftermarket front sway bars and the SPL LCA you can have the stock end links hit the LCA at droop. Shorter end links are helpful in that case.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0