EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #23
mugglechild
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3

$3100 is certainly more than you need to spend on this. Sounds like the dealership is quoting the parts (possibly at a markup), plus labor at a full mechanical rate. In a major metropolitan area where rates are higher, this is typical.

My $0.02 on the matter is to keep in mind that many modern vehicles use the windshield as an added structural rigidity element. This means that you should be selective in the quality of the glass and the bonding material used. You don't necessarily have to shell out the BMW tax for the roundel-stamped glass; however, I would suggest using a reputable brand, as opposed to a no-name knockoff. Bonding material, as I mentioned, is also crucial. BMW factory windshield glue is actually quite robust. I've seen many times where a subpar glue is used for a replacement, and when come time to replace THAT replacement, you notice that the glue used has had very little adhesion to the body of the car, compared to the level of bonding you encounter when replacing the original glass that came with the car.
Also- on the subject of HUDs, the only "compatibility" issue I have encountered is that some non-factory glass will distort/haze the HUD picture. There is non-factory glass out there that won't do this, but you should do some research to make sure you know what you're buying.
Anyway - get quality glass, quality glue, and find a good installer who won't butcher everything in the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #24
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Nobody should be using a dealership for a windshield replacement, their staff doesn't even do the work, they bid out to the cheapest windshield replacement tech they can find and that is who will install the windshield in your BMW. Best way to go is OEM glass through Safelite. They train their staff very well and ensure they have all of the proper tools and techniques to do the job. In AZ we rarely get a windshield that lasts over a year so having dealt with this issue at least 20 times on various cars over the years I have found Safelite to be the most consistent and reliable source. I am sure there are some smaller local folks that do great work but short of having a reliable reference they can be hit and miss. Its a really tough business to make a living at and some take shortcuts.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #25
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Having gone through this before on the F30/F80 platform I would figure out how to remove the wiper arms before dropping off the car. On one of our previous cars they were too lazy to remove and tried to i guess tie then in a slightly elevated position and damaged the paint on the lip of the hood at the cowl. rage i tell you rage...

Last edited by jww///95; 10-09-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
iatacs19458.50
      10-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #26
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Nobody should be using a dealership for a windshield replacement, their staff doesn't even do the work, they bid out to the cheapest windshield replacement tech they can find and that is who will install the windshield in your BMW. Best way to go is OEM glass through Safelite. They train their staff very well and ensure they have all of the proper tools and techniques to do the job. In AZ we rarely get a windshield that lasts over a year so having dealt with this issue at least 20 times on various cars over the years I have found Safelite to be the most consistent and reliable source. I am sure there are some smaller local folks that do great work but short of having a reliable reference they can be hit and miss. Its a really tough business to make a living at and some take shortcuts.
Not all dealerships are the same. The closest one to me has a dedicated 'glass guy' on staff that used to have his own glass-replacement company that the dealership bought. That isn't to say he is better than an independent company. He muffed the rain sensor install after my windshield replacement which would repeatedly cause the gel pad that surrounds it, to immediately leak and slowly flow down the windshield. I went back 3 times, and each time, he would just replace the pad which would then leak again. Finally, on the FOURTH visit last week, my SA had him replace the rain sensor too which he installed correctly. It's been a week and the gel hasn't leaked so far. Fingers crossed.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 04:08 AM   #27
uluwatu06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F44 BMW M235i xDrive

I assume u have HUD of course so i highly recommend that u get the OEM instead of aftermarket.

I replaced my windshield earlier this year and went with OEM (Pilkington). My concern was with the poor display of HUD onto the windshield if i went with aftermarket.

My part number was 51317285912.

Check out which windshield exactly you need at the RealOEM website.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...014-F83-BMW-M4
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #28
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

In October I had my windscreen replaced after some debris was kicked up at the track. For convenience I went to bmw of manhattan which is within walking distance. At the time they claimed to have the only rain sensor in the US! In my opinion, the rain sensor is a frivolous feature that adds [$600] to the replacement. Next time around I plan to do without the sensor and get the repair done though an independent, especially since my comprehensive policy limits the frequency and amount for windshield claims.

I'd even consider Lexan glass next time around
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #29
uluwatu06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F44 BMW M235i xDrive

The rain sensor can be reused onto ur new glass.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #30
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwatu06 View Post
The rain sensor can be reused onto ur new glass.
I didn't realize that. thx.
Appreciate 0