EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Let's discuss something important: HOW TO MIC YOUR CAR ON TRACK

I'm still in the learning phase of this but I've got a couple of things figured out.

1) Where to position the mic
2) Good audio makes videos 1000000x better

I helped Montaver set his mic up on his GT4 at NJMP last weekend and the difference is incredible.

This is the mic I recommend to everyone, at least initially:

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Panda-.../dp/B01MSKI46R

Excellent price, comes with every adapter, extension cable and a dead cat.

Above is the best location that I have found and it has been pretty universal so far. I route the wire through the trunk, close it on top of the wire and tape it to the top of the license plate just below the rear camera ledge.

Above is a clip of my Z06 with the purple panda, through a GoPro Hero 9 + external audio mod. GoPro Mic set to STANDARD MIC.

This clip is my R8 with a Rode Wireless Go mic, through a GoPro Hero 9 + external audio mod. GoPro Mic set to STANDARD MIC. Receiver set to minimum input dB. Same location on the rear license plate.

The Rode Wireless Go is a pricier option, I don't notice any real difference in quality but it makes it more convenient if you don't want to run wires through the car... or in my case - I can't route a wire through the engine bay.

https://www.amazon.com/Rode-Wireless..._dp&th=1&psc=1

If you've got tips/vids/audio - please share!
Appreciate 4
Montaver2066.50
Suds1595.50
drroc413.00
irunalot1515.50
      05-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

This is awesome, thanks for tips. Just ordered the mic, along with the GoPro adapter ($50) to allow me to have the mic and continuous power plugged in at the same time for my GoPro Hero 8.

Headed to NJMP Lightning myself this Monday, will set 'er up and report back with some vid

If you use the purple fuzzy windscreen, will it stay put? Or just leave it off....
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
This is awesome, thanks for tips. Just ordered the mic, along with the GoPro adapter ($50) to allow me to have the mic and continuous power plugged in at the same time for my GoPro Hero 8.

Headed to NJMP Lightning myself this Monday, will set 'er up and report back with some vid

If you use the purple fuzzy windscreen, will it stay put? Or just leave it off....
It should stay put, the area where I show should be located in a vacuum so when the car is moving there should be little to no airfow there. I personally didn't use it but I think Montaver had his on when we set it up and it stayed put. It's probably best to use it but I personally did not on either mic on the videos above. The audio isn't perfect - still some clipping I need to manage but the difference between cockpit noise vs this is sooooooooooo good.

Montaver should stop being a wanker and post his vid.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271100.50
      05-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

I have an DJI osmo action cam that i bought the adapter for. About a month or so ago i went down the rabbit hole of trying to get really good audio for my track days. I feel like i got close to what i wanted. However, every setup, every mic, every adapter i tried. None of them resulted in a clear, crisp, non distorted tone. Below are a few of them. Your z06 video sounds juicy as does the car

Setup #1: Iphone mic on bumper (outperforms alot of the crap amazon lav mics). Decent but required a cumbersome setup/export due to osmo. Want an all in one.

Setup #2: Lav on bumper hooked into osmo mic adapter into a volume potentiometer to try and limit the distortion and clipping. (The first three session of this video all have slight tweaks to my setup, timestamped the best one) This is pretty close to what i want but still feel the tone is slightly exaggerated from real life. Little bit of clipping here and there.

Sometimes i wonder if not getting a Gopro is part of the issue... But their recent models have had some odd design choices imo. Dont know if i wanna spent 200 for the wireless with attenuater. But seems you got the job done on you zo6.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thank you for adding this irokdayellup

The clipping is the hardest thing to deal with. I'm not much of audio engineer but getting the input right is tough. I also wonder if the GoPro is responsible for part of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Aye bumpers mic's are definitely the way to go, here's on my GT4 just on top of the rear plate. We just ran the cable across the rear deck and under the trunk. If there was an easy way to edit out the clipping under WOT it would be perfection.

Appreciate 2
NYG10571.50
irunalot1515.50
      05-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Nice, I do a similar set up, bought the Mic on Amazon as well. I run it from the license plate to my GoPro 7 black.

Update, the mic in the video was from Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/saramon...?skuId=6425413

My new mic is from Amazon, haven't tried this one yet.

Mcoplus VM-D02 Universal Video Microphone with Shock Mount, Deadcat Windscreen, Compact On Camera Cardioid Directional Shotgun Video Microphone for Android Smartphones, Cameras and Camcorders… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FN1TFH...UTF8&psc=1

Attached Images

05-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #8
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Im a avid musician and it drives me insane!
I own alot of music gear, have tons of experience, and for the life of me cant get a decent mic setup for the car (without throwing crazy money at it).
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS

Last edited by Driver407; 05-27-2021 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #9
lookitsapples
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Great thread! I was trying to figure this out myself. Have you guys ever tried recording engine/induction noise at the same time? I'm having trouble balancing it out if I just use a splitter
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Nice, I do a similar set up, bought the Mic on Amazon as well. I run it from the license plate to my GoPro 7 black.

Which mic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
Im a avid musician and it drives me insane!
I own alot of music gear, have tons of experience, and for the life of me cant get a decent setup (without throwing crazy money at it).
I just buy tube amp heads with 4x12s that have celestion v30s and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsapples View Post
Great thread! I was trying to figure this out myself. Have you guys ever tried recording engine/induction noise at the same time? I'm having trouble balancing it out if I just use a splitter
I'm kind of hoping we can develop this thread into something like this. I've seen some crazy audio setups where people mic the cockpit/engine bay/exhaust and tire noise then mix it all together. It's extreme buy it probably sounds amazing if you're willing to do all the post-editing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #11
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

I use a Tascam DR-05X for my external mic. I use a purple panda as well, clipped to the license plate. Recorder sits in my trunk, wire just snaking out of the trunk. Spend a good bit of time tuning the recorder input levels to avoid clipping.

The only issue I run into is then syncing the multiple GoPros to the external audio. I need to revisit this, right now I use an initial car power-on for the sync, and I just record 6+ hours while at the track. Adds scrubbing time, but everything is in sync.

Last little bit, get a USB power bank, and feed power to your GoPro via that. Remove the battery from the GoPro and remove the battery compartment door. Your camera will overheat if it is continuously recording while in the pits with no airflow. Without the battery + door, I had no issues on 90+ degree days. This is all a work-around so I don't have to muck about with the camera between sessions, I just hop in and verify the red LED is blinking.

Moving forward for the racecar I'll probably just do a GoPro + external mic, I care less about the audio quality and clipping for the racecar. I highly recommend Resolve as a free video/audio editing suite to then manipulate your footage. Lastly, RaceRender + data out of an AiM Solo 2 is pretty easy to sync an overlay within a few seconds of an edited clip.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-27-2021, 04:18 PM   #12
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Which mic?
I just buy tube amp heads with 4x12s that have celestion v30s and call it a day.
I was more talking about the car mic setup. But I agree. Have a few amps/cabs but my Friedman BE with Greenbacks and V30's is my fav.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #13
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
I use a Tascam DR-05X for my external mic. I use a purple panda as well, clipped to the license plate. Recorder sits in my trunk, wire just snaking out of the trunk. Spend a good bit of time tuning the recorder input levels to avoid clipping.

The only issue I run into is then syncing the multiple GoPros to the external audio. I need to revisit this, right now I use an initial car power-on for the sync, and I just record 6+ hours while at the track. Adds scrubbing time, but everything is in sync.

Last little bit, get a USB power bank, and feed power to your GoPro via that. Remove the battery from the GoPro and remove the battery compartment door. Your camera will overheat if it is continuously recording while in the pits with no airflow. Without the battery + door, I had no issues on 90+ degree days. This is all a work-around so I don't have to muck about with the camera between sessions, I just hop in and verify the red LED is blinking.

Moving forward for the racecar I'll probably just do a GoPro + external mic, I care less about the audio quality and clipping for the racecar. I highly recommend Resolve as a free video/audio editing suite to then manipulate your footage. Lastly, RaceRender + data out of an AiM Solo 2 is pretty easy to sync an overlay within a few seconds of an edited clip.
Good tip thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #14
TRUE2THEBLUE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Anybody try having the mic tapped down somewhere in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUE2THEBLUE View Post
Anybody try having the mic tapped down somewhere in the trunk?
Montaver had his in the trunk and was getting terrible wind buffeting noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 05:40 AM   #16
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I've put my audio technica mic on the bottom of the rear license plate, sounded well, and then also tried it under the hood nearby the strut mounts. Loved hearing the engine.
      05-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #17
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I've put my audio technica mic on the bottom of the rear license plate, sounded well, and then also tried it under the hood nearby the strut mounts. Loved hearing the engine.
Got anything uploaded? Would love to hear the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 11:53 PM   #18
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Motortrend guys put the mic into the intake airbox of the cars. It provides for an interesting sound track.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:20 AM   #19
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Aye bumpers mic's are definitely the way to go, here's on my GT4 just on top of the rear plate. We just ran the cable across the rear deck and under the trunk. If there was an easy way to edit out the clipping under WOT it would be perfection.

My issue with type of mic placement is that the image I see doesn’t match the audio I hear. It shouldn’t sound like that inside the car.

I feel like I already own way too much stuff, but I’m considering getting a binaural microphone to attach to my helmet. I’m fine with just the normal audio inside the car, but going binaural would add a nice 3D effect, and would be really noticeable when passing other cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:50 AM   #20
jfritz27
Major
Rep

So was at Lightning yesterday, had the purple panda plugged into the OEM GoPro mic adapter cable (in order to have simultaneous power), into a Hero 8.... and nothing but static/no sound on the vid. Briefly googled throughout the day yesterday and this issue seems to be known, but couldn't identify a clear fix. I hadn't tested the mic beforehand. The GoPro seemed to recognize the mic, as it gave me all the options in Audio settings, I had it set to standard mic (not +).

Anyone run into this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #21
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
So was at Lightning yesterday, had the purple panda plugged into the OEM GoPro mic adapter cable (in order to have simultaneous power), into a Hero 8.... and nothing but static/no sound on the vid. Briefly googled throughout the day yesterday and this issue seems to be known, but couldn't identify a clear fix. I hadn't tested the mic beforehand. The GoPro seemed to recognize the mic, as it gave me all the options in Audio settings, I had it set to standard mic (not +).

Anyone run into this issue?
Did you use the TRS adapter? Also you have to make sure it is fully jacked in - I know that seems obvious but there's require a little bit more force to fully seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #22
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Did you use the TRS adapter? Also you have to make sure it is fully jacked in - I know that seems obvious but there's require a little bit more force to fully seat.
I double checked the connections, everything was in.

The Hero 8 has the single USB-C port, so I used this adapter, which the mic gets plugged into:
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-3-5mm-A...2551598&sr=8-3

Are you saying I need this additional adapter? I.e.:
Purple panda > TRS adapter > GoPro USBC adapter > GoPro

EDIT: With searching a bit more, it looks like I do need that additional adapter in between -- d'oh!

Last edited by jfritz27; 06-01-2021 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0