Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Audiotec Match UP 10DSP as PnP Upgrade For HK Equipped Cars?

Cross posting this here (along with the F30 forum) since most F80/82 M's came with HK….

After doing a bit of research to upgrade the audio in my Harmon Kardon equipped F80 M3 (specifically the amp), I came across multiple threads that discuss the Bavsound Revenant (the old one, not the current Pro version), Bimmer-Tech (the rebranded Audiotec PP 86DSP) and the Match UP 7BMW/UP 7DSP (also by Audiotec). But these PnP amp solutions only work with HiFi equipped cars, not HK - presumably because HK cars have more speaker channels than these amps can support (assuming you want to use all factory HK speaker channels, which I would want to do).

Then I came across these three items from Audiotec:

Match UP 10DSP Amp:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...fiers/up-10dsp

Helix SDMI25 (MOST interface module):
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...ssories/sdmi25

BMW PnP Harness for HK Cars (F-Series):
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...-bmw-1-9hksdmi

It appears the Match UP 10DSP was released earlier this year so maybe it is still a bit too "new" which may be why I have been unable to find much info on BMW applications. Also, Audiotec does appear to advertise this equipment as a PnP option for HK equipped vehicles. But other than the literature on the Audiotec site, I have been unable to find any real world install/feedback on this equipment for HK equipped F-series BMWs (the F3x/F8x in particular).

I know the Revenant Pro by Bavsound is an option for HK equipped cars. But given an option, I like the DIY PC tunability of the Audiotec equipment, either by me or a local audio installer, over the SD card format of the Bavsound solution - especially since the price point is really close for both.

So does anyone have any insight/experience on this "new" Audiotec PnP equipment setup for HK equipped F3x/F8x BMWs?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Any replacement of the MOST OEM amp with a MOST converter and an optical amp/DSP will sound absolutely better than OEM, no need to change the OEM speakers. That’s all you need to know.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Any replacement of the MOST OEM amp with a MOST converter and an optical amp/DSP will sound absolutely better than OEM, no need to change the OEM speakers. That's all you need to know.
Thanks! In my case, the speakers are already changed to the Alpha One's by BimmerTech, except for the subs, they are still OEM (phase 1 of my audio upgrade). I was not sure if I wanted to do the amp until I saw this option pop up. But this amp setup should allow the system to shine even more (in theory)…

I know the hardware should work fine based on the specs, etc. - as you mentioned. But it would still be nice to get some real wold feedback on this application….. .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I'm probably going to go with a Helix V Twelve paired with Audison speakers. Heard good things about Match as well.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:15 AM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I'm probably going to go with a Helix V Twelve paired with Audison speakers. Heard good things about Match as well.
Do you plan to run additional wires to take advantage of the additional channels (for separate tweeters or mid ranges I presume)? If not, you might want to stick with the 10DSP - same capability, much easier install and cheaper amp (they are both made by the same company so same architecture and software).

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:19 AM   #6
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Do you plan to run additional wires to take advantage of the additional channels (for separate tweeters or mid ranges I presume)? If not, you might want to stick with the 10DSP - same capability, much easier install and cheaper amp (they are both made by the same company so same architecture and software).
Thanks for this. I might do just that since I won't be needing the additional channels.

I was thinking of running Audison speakers. I don't like the sound signature of Focal.

Any other speakers come to mind that is plug and play?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:49 AM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for this. I might do just that since I won't be needing the additional channels.

I was thinking of running Audison speakers. I don't like the sound signature of Focal.

Well, some will say you don't need to use all of the channels in a HK equipped car for good sound and would recommend using the 7BMW/7DSP 7-channel amp. I am not a fan of this option since I want to use all of the available channels in the car. Sound setups and preferences are like ice cream - there are so many good flavors out there.

Some will also say that if you are going to upgrade the amp to a quality one, just keep the stock speakers - and I believe there may be some truth to that. However, in my case, I already upgraded the speakers first (Alpha One's by BimmerTech - which was a good sound improvement IMHO) and I don't have any desire to take them out. If you add in the underseat woofers, the color combinations grow even more .

After researching a bit, in particular different F30/F80 setups on the forums, what I think will work for me (in addition to the Alpha Ones I already have) is the addition of the 10DSP amp and Earthquake underseat woofers (2 ohm version).

The only real catch I see with my setup goals are that there are not many 10DSP amp tuning file options available for our cars compared to the 7DSP/7BMW (the 10DSP is fairly new). Not a big issue for me because I am confident the "generic" tune file for the 10DSP in our cars will still sound better than the stock amp, and I don't mind "tweaking" the tune file myself with the tuning software as I play and learn - and I still may get the system professionally tuned as well.

Just like for our engine (I believe you run BM3 CustomROM like me ), the audio tuning flexibility, including storing multiple audio tune files, looks really good with this Audiotec amp hardware and the DIY gadget guy in me likes that .

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:11 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, some will say you don't need to use all of the channels in a HK equipped car for good sound and would recommend using the 7BMW/7DSP 7-channel amp. I am not a fan of this option since I want to use all of the available channels in the car. Sound setups and preferences are like ice cream - there are so many good flavors out there.

Some will also say that if you are going to upgrade the amp to a quality one, just keep the stock speakers - and I believe there may be some truth to that. However, in my case, I already upgraded the speakers first (Alpha One's by BimmerTech - which was a good sound improvement IMHO) and I don't have any desire to take them out. If you add in the underseat woofers, the color combinations grow even more .

After researching a bit, in particular different F30/F80 setups on the forums, what I think will work for me (in addition to the Alpha Ones I already have) is the addition of the 10DSP amp and Earthquake underseat woofers (2 ohm version).

The only real catch I see with my setup goals are that there are not many 10DSP amp tuning file options available for our cars compared to the 7DSP/7BMW (the 10DSP is fairly new). Not a big issue for me because I am confident the "generic" tune file for the 10DSP in our cars will still sound better than the stock amp, and I don't mind "tweaking" the tune file myself with the tuning software as I play and learn - and I still may get the system professionally tuned as well.

Just like for our engine (I believe you run BM3 CustomROM like me ), the audio tuning flexibility, including storing multiple audio tune files, looks really good with this Audiotec amp hardware and the DIY gadget guy in me likes that .
Yes! Thanks for the explanation.

I am pricing out everything and it's roughly 4K for parts alone. The price is similar to something provided by Integral Audio, but Integral comes with a custom box and a Scanspeak sub in the trunk.

- Match or Helix amp and DSP ($1200-$2000)

- Helix SDMI25 ($500)

- Audison speakers (tweeters, mid, center, 2x ghost woofers) ($1500)

So many options

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes! Thanks for the explanation.

I am pricing out everything and it's roughly 4K for parts alone. The price is similar to something provided by Integral Audio, but Integral comes with a custom box and a Scanspeak sub in the trunk.

- Match or Helix amp and DSP ($1200-$2000)

- Helix SDMI25 ($500)

- Audison speakers (tweeters, mid, center, 2x ghost woofers) ($1500)

So many options
Well, I am doing my upgrade in phases to help keep my wallet from burning a hole in it... I went with speakers first because I really never thought about upgrading the HK amp as up until recently, there really were no PnP options for HK cars.

But in your case since you are basically starting from scratch, if you don't want to do everything at once, you may want to consider doing the amp first and see how things sound to you. There is one other PnP amp option on the market by Bavsound, their Renenant Pro amp. But I prefer the 10DSP over the Revenant Pro due to more flexibility and tunability. The Revenant Pro amp is essentially "locked down" - including the tune files. And since sound setups, including tuning, are so subjective, I prefer the tunability/flexibility of the 10DSP, even if I ultimately get the system professionally tuned, it will be tuned to my liking.

One other thing I have learned in my research thus far is that you don't need to pay a premium price for good (or even premium) sound all of the time. For example, the Earthquake underseat woofers have received a lot of good reviews, including good technical reviews (which I like), and a pair can be had for less than $250, while other options can be $500+ per woofer. That is why I plan to give the Earthquakes a try.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I am doing my upgrade in phases to help keep my wallet from burning a hole in it... I went with speakers first because I really never thought about upgrading the HK amp as up until recently, there really were no PnP options for HK cars.

But in your case since you are basically starting from scratch, if you don't want to do everything at once, you may want to consider doing the amp first and see how things sound to you. There is one other PnP amp option on the market by Bavsound, their Renenant Pro amp. But I prefer the 10DSP over the Revenant Pro due to more flexibility and tunability. The Revenant Pro amp is essentially "locked down" - including the tune files. And since sound setups, including tuning, are so subjective, I prefer the tunability/flexibility of the 10DSP, even if I ultimately get the system professionally tuned, it will be tuned to my liking.

One other thing I have learned in my research thus far is that you don't need to pay a premium price for good (or even premium) sound all of the time. For example, the Earthquake underseat woofers have received a lot of good reviews, including good technical reviews (which I like), and a pair can be had for less than $250, while other options can be $500+ per woofer. That is why I plan to give the Earthquakes a try.
Thank you! Any recommendations on a dealer for the Audiotec Fischer stuff?

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #11
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

No, unfortunately. The only online vendor I found was Crutchfield, but they did not carry the 10DSP or the PnP harness to go with it (they do carry the 7BMW though and other Match products). I contacted MSC America, the sole US Distributor, and they gave me a recommended dealer relatively close to me. I have not contacted them yet so I don't know their pricing or if they will even sell stuff they won't install (some installers don't) since I plan to DIY the install. However, when I am ready to pull the trigger, I hope the local dealer works out so that I have a source that should be able to tune it if I decide to go that route.

The MSC America site does have a dealer locator, but I recommend you reach out directly to them to see if there is a particular dealer they would recommend based on how you want do your project.

You might want to consider adding some sound deadening and quieting to help further enhance your sound system upgrade. A few pics below of a recent weekend endeavor to "prep" for my future upgrade…
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hellokitty2883.50
      12-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, unfortunately. The only online vendor I found was Crutchfield, but they did not carry the 10DSP or the PnP harness to go with it (they do carry the 7BMW though and other Match products). I contacted MSC America, the sole US Distributor, and they gave me a recommended dealer relatively close to me. I have not contacted them yet so I don't know their pricing or if they will even sell stuff they won't install (some installers don't) since I plan to DIY the install. However, when I am ready to pull the trigger, I hope the local dealer works out so that I have a source that should be able to tune it if I decide to go that route.

The MSC America site does have a dealer locator, but I recommend you reach out directly to them to see if there is a particular dealer they would recommend based on how you want do your project.

You might want to consider adding some sound deadening and quieting to help further enhance your sound system upgrade. A few pics below of a recent weekend endeavor to "prep" for my future upgrade…
Looks amazing thank you!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 12:31 AM   #13
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

For roughly the same price as being considered in this thread, you can’t go wrong with the Integral Audio Soundstage DSP Ultra, which includes not only amp, DSP, and replacement speakers, but also a separate custom box and subwoofer in the trunk. It integrates perfectly with the stock HKsystem and even retains parts of the HK system for rear fill action. Also, the tuning has already been done for the F80 as it comes with two different DSP profiles specifically for our cars and space for a blank third profile if you do want to tune it yourself. Product support is also outstanding and install was a breeze. I’ve had mine now for almost a year and could not be more pleased—true audiophile quality.

https://integralaudio.com/soundstagedsp-ultra.html
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 09:49 PM   #14
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Hey guys, I finally completed my Match UP10DSP install (without the trunk sub for now) and did an initial DIY tune. I posted my initial thoughts about it in another thread in the F30 forum here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...udiotec&page=2

Last edited by jmciver; 07-02-2022 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0