proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Buy New (European Delivery) or Used. Price Difference Worth It?

I'm looking at purchasing a M4, and the thoughts of European Delivery seemed enticing. Granted, I've looked at some used M4s that are going for ~$53-60k w/ all the options I'd care for. I've priced out a new M4 build for my liking, and it has a ~80k MSRP. I figured with ED being a slight savings, for those that have done ED, was the extra price difference worth it for the experience over buying a used and saving ~$20k?

Some extra info to factor in:
I don't drive very much for work, this car will essentially be a trophy vehicle. This will end up being my DD if I do go out, and in total I will have 2 vehicles. I put maybe ~3-5k miles a year tops. I plan to finance and keep the car for long term.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deteria View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a M4, and the thoughts of European Delivery seemed enticing. Granted, I've looked at some used M4s that are going for ~$53-60k w/ all the options I'd care for. I've priced out a new M4 build for my liking, and it has a ~80k MSRP. I figured with ED being a slight savings, for those that have done ED, was the extra price difference worth it for the experience over buying a used and saving ~$20k?

I don't drive very much for work, this car will essentially be a trophy vehicle. This will end up being my DD if I do go out, and in total I will have 2 vehicles. I put maybe ~3-5k miles a year tops. I plan to finance and keep the car for long term.
We will be seeing some price drops in used market very soon given how these cars will start coming off lease... I would say used may be the way to go to save 20K and maybe even more especially since you dont drive a lot so if the car comes with 20k-30k miles it wont escalate very fast and you dont take the huge depreciation hit just because the car is "new"
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:

Financially, it always makes more sense to buy a lightly used car and let the first owner take the huge early depreciation hit. That said, European Delivery is such a fantastic experience that you really owe it to yourself to do it. Plus, since you are planning on owning this car for a long time, if you go the ED route it will of course be built to your specifications and you will have the peace of mind of knowing how the car was treated and maintained since day 1.

So, is it worth it? On pure financial basis no (well, unless you buy a used car that was beaten on and the engine grenades ), no. On an emotional/"life is a journey" level, I think so...

GL either way!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Similar boat. Have a car for work, wanted a garage queen that will only see ~3000/yr. when I was looking, there weren't that many pre-owned that would have been a sizeable discount from new, so I purchased and went with ED. It was an Amazing experience from start to finish! Well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I've done ED 4 times now and kinda think its the only way to get a car. That said, I'm wondering if I get another M, since the car comes out of the dealer allotment, is there still a cost savings on the price of the car (without factoring in the trip)? i.e., will the dealer still come to a lower sale/lease price on a ED care that comes out of their allotment vs just doing a normal purchase/lease?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
340i_f30
Rep
Drives: 340i

Does a ED car have a lower resale value?

I'm looking at two 2015 M4s with almost identical final MSRPs, the ED has a lower starting MSRP and has more options while the US Delivery car has a higher starting MSRP with less options and the totals are within a $100 of each other. Yet when I type both VINs in it prices the ED car at about $2,500 less.

Mileage, zip code, model (2015 M4, automatic) are all identical, the options on the US delivery are only the type of leather seats and paint.

This has me very confused...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Deteria - I am in a very similar position. I just ordered a 2020 M4 with Individual Paint. I ride my motorcycle to work daily, I will drive my M4 about 5k miles a year, maybe even a little less. It will be a weekend toy and garage Trophy.

I was considering doing European Delivery. I have never done ED nor ordered Individual paint before, I thought this time I would do both. Ultimately I decided not to do ED and just have the car delivered state-side.

There is NO more financial incentive to get ED. It used to save you some money. It doesn't any longer. That combined with a few other factors, the time to get the car back to the US after ED, the fact that you can't get port installed accessories if you do ED, and frankly just the general paranoia of what my car my go through during ED, and then being delivered after ED I just decided not to do it. So instead I booked my wife and I a spare-no-expense European vacation.

Anyway thats my story. I do however highly recommend you order a 2020 M4, you'll get one of the very last of a very fantastic auto
      02-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Deteria - I am in a very similar position. I just ordered a 2020 M4 with Individual Paint. I ride my motorcycle to work daily, I will drive my M4 about 5k miles a year, maybe even a little less. It will be a weekend toy and garage Trophy.

I was considering doing European Delivery. I have never done ED nor ordered Individual paint before, I thought this time I would do both. Ultimately I decided not to do ED and just have the car delivered state-side.

There is NO more financial incentive to get ED. It used to save you some money. It doesn't any longer. That combined with a few other factors, the time to get the car back to the US after ED, the fact that you can't get port installed accessories if you do ED, and frankly just the general paranoia of what my car my go through during ED, and then being delivered after ED I just decided not to do it. So instead I booked my wife and I a spare-no-expense European vacation.

Anyway thats my story. I do however highly recommend you order a 2020 M4, you'll get one of the very last of a very fantastic auto
ED is still 5% below US MSRP, which can pay for the experience, and there are still dealers that discount off that as well including some that post here.
And the experience is well worth it. I am looking forward to doing it again some day.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
ED is still 5% below US MSRP,.

Hmmm, okay, but I am paying almost 14% below MSRP for my 2020 M4 order.

I am pretty positive based on what my CA has told me that yes ED experience is something truly special, but you will absolutely pay more for the car than traditional delivery. So you are CERTAINLY not saving any money when you will pay more for the car and pay for a European vacation....
      02-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Worth it if you are adventurous, theres nothing cooler than a holiday with YOUR car to throw around Bavaria/Switzerland.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm, okay, but I am paying almost 14% below MSRP for my 2020 M4 order.

I am pretty positive based on what my CA has told me that yes ED experience is something truly special, but you will absolutely pay more for the car than traditional delivery. So you are CERTAINLY not saving any money when you will pay more for the car and pay for a European vacation....
When I got my 2016 M4, there was no one local that would do anything off MSRP, so I went with a dealer in CA and got about 12% below. When I got my 2018 M3, I found a dealer that was willing to move and the deal was about 16% below (with incentives). ED trip was still worth it for the fun of beating able to go wherever you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #12
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Don't forget the lack of incentives for a ED car compared to a US ordered car. I'm skipping ED for my upcoming lease "swap out", as I want the PIA M Performance exhaust included in the lease payment. Still going to Oktoberfest and a BMW Driving Experience M track training program over in DE, but will plan on picking up the F83 replacement at the PCD on the return flight home. Also, with a M car during ED you can't really go balls to the wall driving due to the 1,200 mile break in period— autobahn has a lot of traffic congestion now in most parts. I'll just rent a Sixt performance car and beat the crap out of it on the Autobahm🤣

However, I do suggest that everyone should do ED at least once, as I have been fortunate for 3 previous ED's.
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340i_f30 View Post
Does a ED car have a lower resale value?

I'm looking at two 2015 M4s with almost identical final MSRPs, the ED has a lower starting MSRP and has more options while the US Delivery car has a higher starting MSRP with less options and the totals are within a $100 of each other. Yet when I type both VINs in it prices the ED car at about $2,500 less.

Mileage, zip code, model (2015 M4, automatic) are all identical, the options on the US delivery are only the type of leather seats and paint.

This has me very confused...
that just goes to show that options generally don't get you very much on options

minimal options car with euro delivery is my $0.02 (biased, that's what i did)

As for the break-in, that's up for debate. I took my car to spa and ring and tapped the speed limiter on the unlimited sections. pretty much warmed the car up on the surface roads going to a-bahn, and on the limited sections, and went after it when i saw the unlimited speed sign

It's a glorious bucket list item to track and vmax YOUR OWN car, and then you get to relive it in your mind every single day when you are going to commute back in the USA and look at your car in the parking lot
Appreciate 1
AlterZgo1537.50
      03-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:

Do you realize that you replied to a post that is almost 3 years old? I doubt your input has any value to the OP at this point.

And if you are only doing ED to "save money", then you just don't get it...

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #15
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Do you realize that you replied to a post that is almost 3 years old? I doubt your input has any value to the OP at this point.

And if you are only doing ED to "save money", then you just don't get it...

I am well aware that trying to save a little money is not the reason to do ED, because you dont SAVE any money at all given how you will just spend it on a European vacation.

I personally was planning to do ED, and after much consideration decided it was not worth it for what I was looking for, and instead planned a spare no expense $30k vacation to Europe with my wife.

Which is now cancelled due to COVID-19

Last edited by PKL; 03-15-2020 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #16
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
I personally was planning to do ED, and after much consideration decided it was not worth it for what I was looking for, and instead planned a spare no expense $30k vacation to Europe with my wife.
All five of my European vacations, including three Euro Deliveries, the last of which included five days in Munich, three days in Lake Como, and a five day 25th anniversary stay in Paris at the end, probably didn't cost $30,000 and we didn't skimp. Sounds like you're bragging that you can spend that much money. Still not the same as driving your car on the Autobahn or at the Nurburgring.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #17
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Sounds like you're bragging that you can spend that much money.
It certainly was going to be the most expensive vacation I have ever been on. A lot of the cost was the flights. My wife is pregnant and I booked us first class airfare with the full lay down beds. Which would have been a first for us as well. Oh well maybe some other time