European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #155
jpy1980
Captain
271
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonseexists View Post
I never said it was. Only lsd, damper programming and steering
Damper programming is EDC.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #156
matty088
Major
265
Rep
1,066
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ct

iTrader: (1)

ugg
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #157
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
935
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZM3 View Post
There's a lot of value to intuitive nomenclature.

Naming the OEM GTS mappings "CS", which is an abbreviation for Club Sport, and the OEM CS mapping "Road and Track" is confusing. If we have people tuning their MDMs but thinking they're tweaking their dampers FFS clearly there's some room for improvement here.

Also, pricing is steep compared to other options (i.e. Alex at Alpine) where stuff is tailored and clear.

Can those of us without ZCP who have no need for EDC get a cheaper package on the rest?

And can you adjust the price down in Canada? It's high given we'll pay another 13% in taxes on the app store, which we would avoid if we got it done remotely elsewhere.
The naming convention used was due to legal reasons.

The cost will pay for itself in the event you ever need to recode your car to a dealer update (which happened to me).

I don't want to rely on someone to recode everything if I'm having issues with I drive and need an update. It's nice that you can do everything yourself at your own convenience. Unfortunately this is the price of admission for that convenience.
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #158
alfonseexists
Private
37
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 with Comp Pack
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Damper programming is EDC.
Sorry I totally suck with acronyms. Even have a Masters in Comp Sci and did large systems architecture for a living and still hate theme. Might be why I do.

Sorry I mucked up this thread and introduced a debate about terminology and acronyms as opposed to keeping on topic about what the product offers. I like the product, don't think it expensive by any means and truly like that I can do it easily by myself in less that 15 minutes. Im cool with that.
Appreciate 1
PayamFSU156.00

      05-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #159
jpy1980
Captain
271
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonseexists View Post
Sorry I totally suck with acronyms. Even have a Masters in Comp Sci and did large systems architecture for a living and still hate theme. Might be why I do.

Sorry I mucked up this thread and introduced a debate about terminology and acronyms as opposed to keeping on topic about what the product offers. I like the product, don't think it expensive by any means and truly like that I can do it easily by myself in less that 15 minutes. Im cool with that.
I donít think anyone is blaming you. Quite the opposite. We were all just excited about the thought that the Thor programming finally offering the EDC coding. They hinted at it being released soon, but havenít replied back so when you said you had it, I guess everyone was just excited to hear.

I personally already got all the coding already done through EAS (GTS Steering, GTS Diff, Euro MDM and CS EDC Damper Coding), but rather than go through them again should I need to revert back to OEM, Iíll pay some money to Thor and have the ability to do it myself. Itís just that Thor does not have the EDC damper function just yet. Iíll buy it when they release it.

Iím glad youíre enjoying your car! The coding really does help!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #160
PayamFSU
Captain
PayamFSU's Avatar
156
Rep
803
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Gainesville, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZM3 View Post
There's a lot of value to intuitive nomenclature.

Naming the OEM GTS mappings "CS", which is an abbreviation for Club Sport, and the OEM CS mapping "Road and Track" is confusing. If we have people tuning their MDMs but thinking they're tweaking their dampers FFS clearly there's some room for improvement here.

Also, pricing is steep compared to other options (i.e. Alex at Alpine) where stuff is tailored and clear.

Can those of us without ZCP who have no need for EDC get a cheaper package on the rest?

And can you adjust the price down in Canada? It's high given we'll pay another 13% in taxes on the app store, which we would avoid if we got it done remotely elsewhere.
The naming convention used was due to legal reasons.

The cost will pay for itself in the event you ever need to recode your car to a dealer update (which happened to me).

I don't want to rely on someone to recode everything if I'm having issues with I drive and need an update. It's nice that you can do everything yourself at your own convenience. Unfortunately this is the price of admission for that convenience.
Agree
__________________

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #161
matty088
Major
265
Rep
1,066
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ct

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I donít think anyone is blaming you. Quite the opposite. We were all just excited about the thought that the Thor programming finally offering the EDC coding. They hinted at it being released soon, but havenít replied back so when you said you had it, I guess everyone was just excited to hear.

I personally already got all the coding already done through EAS (GTS Steering, GTS Diff, Euro MDM and CS EDC Damper Coding), but rather than go through them again should I need to revert back to OEM, Iíll pay some money to Thor and have the ability to do it myself. Itís just that Thor does not have the EDC damper function just yet. Iíll buy it when they release it.

Iím glad youíre enjoying your car! The coding really does help!
Donít be excited for edc. Itís a downgrade unless you upgrade the hardware too
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #162
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
935
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I don’t think anyone is blaming you. Quite the opposite. We were all just excited about the thought that the Thor programming finally offering the EDC coding. They hinted at it being released soon, but haven’t replied back so when you said you had it, I guess everyone was just excited to hear.

I personally already got all the coding already done through EAS (GTS Steering, GTS Diff, Euro MDM and CS EDC Damper Coding), but rather than go through them again should I need to revert back to OEM, I’ll pay some money to Thor and have the ability to do it myself. It’s just that Thor does not have the EDC damper function just yet. I’ll buy it when they release it.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your car! The coding really does help!
Don’t be excited for edc. It’s a downgrade unless you upgrade the hardware too
How so and what hardware?
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #163
jpy1980
Captain
271
Rep
927
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Well I do have the Bilstein Damptronic b16 coilovers so I want to see How the civic coding feels from the CS. I had the oem edc dampers and coded it with the CS settings and now I have the b16 coilovers with CS settings. I want to revert back to oem to see thus the reason why I want Thor.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #164
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
935
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Well I do have the Bilstein Damptronic b16 coilovers so I want to see How the civic coding feels from the CS. I had the oem edc dampers and coded it with the CS settings and now I have the b16 coilovers with CS settings. I want to revert back to oem to see thus the reason why I want Thor.
Gotcha. Curious to see how that turns out with the dampers too.
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #165
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
1078
Rep
1,952
Posts

Drives: F80 CP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZM3 View Post
There's a lot of value to intuitive nomenclature.

Naming the OEM GTS mappings "CS", which is an abbreviation for Club Sport, and the OEM CS mapping "Road and Track" is confusing. If we have people tuning their MDMs but thinking they're tweaking their dampers FFS clearly there's some room for improvement here.

Also, pricing is steep compared to other options (i.e. Alex at Alpine) where stuff is tailored and clear.

Can those of us without ZCP who have no need for EDC get a cheaper package on the rest?

And can you adjust the price down in Canada? It's high given we'll pay another 13% in taxes on the app store, which we would avoid if we got it done remotely elsewhere.
So much to head shake here

First up surely you can't expect a company to reduce their price just because of your government's taxation policies - take that up next time you have to vote

Secondly the nomenclature afaik is for legal reasons, something remote coders may have seemingly overlooked

Thirdly comparing this to remote coders is a false economy, the value is in the ability to self code anytime you want without needing a laptop, internet access and someone around the globe

If you want innovation on this, or any, platform, you have to offer an environment that makes it worthwhile to invest in. Remote coders are actually the ones you should take up issue with, they are overcharging based on what they offer and the simple bit flipping process
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #166
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
90
Rep
132
Posts


Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria

iTrader: (0)

Hi, guys,

I'm sorry I haven't written anything in a long time.

Our Android version is almost finished and will go live next week. We are also releasing an update for the iOS version in the following weeks. A new feature in THOR will be that you can determine your tire pressure control system according to the DSC/MDM Flash. -> choose between RDCi or RPA.

An advantage for the users who drive on the race track and have no RDCi sensors installed. They can switch their system to RPA and do not get an error message anymore and still have a warning system. And for users from Canada or similar where RDCi no standard equipment, this function is also mandatory.

And then comes EDC. Really, I promise.
We are looking for some beta testers (EDC - android or iOS). If someone is interested, please send an eMail to office@thorflasher.com
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #167
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
90
Rep
132
Posts


Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria

iTrader: (0)

This week we will go live with our THOR App for Android.

Works with our THOR WiFi adapter and BimmerGeeks Pro cable.


Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #168
mindspin311
Private First Class
121
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Does it not work through a BT adapter?
__________________
2018 Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #169
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
90
Rep
132
Posts


Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
Does it not work through a BT adapter?
No, unfortunately these adapters do not work stable enough. We also recommend only the BimmerGeeks cable if you are flashing with cable. Has proven in all current tests.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #170
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
935
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR_Flasher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
Does it not work through a BT adapter?
No, unfortunately these adapters do not work stable enough. We also recommend only the BimmerGeeks cable if you are flashing with cable. Has proven in all current tests.
How stable is the beta of EDC? I may be interested but I don't want to be the only guinea pig lol
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #171
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
90
Rep
132
Posts


Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
How stable is the beta of EDC? I may be interested but I don't want to be the only guinea pig lol
Don't worry, the BETA version is already stable and you're not the first one we're testing on.

But it is and remains a BETA version.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #172
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
90
Rep
132
Posts


Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria

iTrader: (0)

Finally, THOR is out on Google Play Store! The wait is over for all android users.



Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...horflasher.app

iOS App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thor...l=de&ls=1&mt=8

As always, we welcome feedback and will continue to develop THOR further.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #173
parabmw
Major
112
Rep
1,001
Posts

Drives: 2018 m4
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Does the app store the actual OEM map currently on the car for when going back to stock or is it a generic stock file that is used?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:08 AM   #174
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
90
Rep
132
Posts


Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Does the app store the actual OEM map currently on the car for when going back to stock or is it a generic stock file that is used?
That's a very exciting question. This topic is really not easy to handle in an app and we solve this issue just like the other apps do.

At your first connection with THOR, we write a backup and save it on your smartphone and our server. We make this backup, that we know at all times what data was on your vehicle.

If you flash your vehicle back to stock, behind each model (M3, M4, M4CP, etc.) there is a generic list of datasets. So you always flash the right file back again. And of course, sometimes it's an update.
Appreciate 1
Pong25.00

      05-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #175
LIAM3
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

does this work with ISTEP level 19-03-5xx?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #176
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
90
Rep
132
Posts


Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIAM3 View Post
does this work with ISTEP level 19-03-5xx?
At the moment we cannot support vehicles with ISTEP level 19-03-5xx. This currently concerns the late MY2018/2019 models.

but your day may come ;-)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw m2, bmw m3, bmw m4, cs flash, dct, gts, gts flash, mdm

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST