BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

08-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36/7 M Roadster

Meet up & drive October 7-10

I wanted to gauge interest in meeting up and driving some of the outstanding roads around Asheville one or a few days from the 7th to the 10th of October. I picked a few routes east-northeast and west of downtown, but would really like to hear suggestions - not really tied to anything. I'll be coming from VA Beach for the weekend. Before anyone suggests the dragon, I could be down but will have already driven a lot just to get to Asheville.

1: https://goo.gl/maps/svpeqVL1Trdv4wGp9

2: https://goo.gl/maps/zQruGFChGnt8rP9X6
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
pno02
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80, BMW F15

Cool idea putting together a meet, I would probably be interested in doing this sometime but my wife and I will be on one of the Smoky Mountain Drives rally the following weekend on 10/16. Not sure if you would be willing to shift a weekend but this seems like a pretty solid day of driving. I know they do the dragon which you said you weren't super interested in but there will be other roads as well that might be of interest to you.

https://www.smokymountaindrives.com/ (sorry if this shouldn't be posted here, I can remove if necessary).
Appreciate 1
Shubacca121.50
      08-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for sharing. I really want to find more organized events like that. Unfortunately VA Beach is pretty limited in the quality of "local" roads, so you have to travel to get to the good stuff.

I also only picked that weekend near Asheville because we are going to be in the area for a wedding and decided to make it a 4 day stay.
Appreciate 1
BGxNYC53.00
      10-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
pno02
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I was quite impressed with the Dragon Rally by Smoky Mountain Drives. We went along Cherohala Skyway, the Tail of the Dragon, and several other roads that I really don't know the name of. It had rained a bit over night so the morning part of the rally was a little more tame to handle the damp roads and wet leaves. As the day progressed and roads dried up the pace picked up a bit. I was really impressed with how the M3 did, especially with have only having it a few months. I was able to steadily build up my confidence driving and worked my way up from the back of the pack towards mid pack by the end of the day. Great experience with really cool people. Hopefully will get to make it back over before winter.
Appreciate 1
Shubacca121.50
      10-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #5
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pno02 View Post
I was quite impressed with the Dragon Rally by Smoky Mountain Drives. We went along Cherohala Skyway, the Tail of the Dragon, and several other roads that I really don't know the name of. It had rained a bit over night so the morning part of the rally was a little more tame to handle the damp roads and wet leaves. As the day progressed and roads dried up the pace picked up a bit. I was really impressed with how the M3 did, especially with have only having it a few months. I was able to steadily build up my confidence driving and worked my way up from the back of the pack towards mid pack by the end of the day. Great experience with really cool people. Hopefully will get to make it back over before winter.
That's awesome. I really wanted to go. Hopefully I can make one next year. Need to figure out a trailering solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
pno02
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubacca View Post
That's awesome. I really wanted to go. Hopefully I can make one next year. Need to figure out a trailering solution.
I hear ya on that. They have a specific Mvading the Dragon towards the end of June 2022. It's 3 days worth of driving so that might be really good bang for your buck on driving down this way. They have a website if you want to check that out and some videos online as well.
Appreciate 1
Shubacca121.50
      10-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #7
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pno02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubacca View Post
I hear ya on that. They have a specific Mvading the Dragon towards the end of June 2022. It's 3 days worth of driving so that might be really good bang for your buck on driving down this way. They have a website if you want to check that out and some videos online as well.
Great suggestion, I'm going to sign up as soon as I know what June looks like for work.

https://www.mvadingthedragon.com/
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      10-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Oh that sounds really awesome - i'm going to check into that as well