ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #23
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Fair enough, no judging here. You have always been objective. Not a G8x hater here, though I have my own personal opinions and its more wrapped around the direction of BMW and the products it puts out.

I think as you mentioned, the bigger question is the underperformance by the G8x in that video. It SHOULD be quicker. But there are factory freaks and there are factory duds. Like all products, there is a distribution of quality. But my thinking is that CarWoW was aware of the debate this would cause and would have ensured that the F8x was stock. This was staged and unless they did this to get views, which is very misleading and speaks to their integrity, I would have no real reason to suspect foul play.
CarWOW is and always has been a click bait. More useless tests than anything else.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
CT_M31478.00
jmg18493.00
CruzM3284.00
      04-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #24
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

There is some truth to that . My takeaway from the vid and other recent vids:

1) Both cars appear to be a stone's throw in terms of straight line performance; with the G8x expected to come out on top. They will be variances car to car (assuming that the drag was a sample of the population, including setups, tires etc.).

2) One thing that the drag does not address is suspension performance, which from the design changes that BMW made, should be better on the G8x.

3) The G8x is a step up; but its not head and shoulders above the outgoing car and not overwhelmingly compelling enough given the compromises (design, transmission, weight).

As a result, the value proposition is diminished (which is part of my beef with BMW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
CarWOW is and always has been a click bait. More useless tests than anything else.
Appreciate 5
CanAutM321104.50
65fastback1132.50
jmg18493.00
      04-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #25
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
There is some truth to that . My takeaway from the vid and other recent vids:

1) Both cars appear to be a stone's throw in terms of straight line performance; with the G8x expected to come out on top. They will be variances car to car (assuming that the drag was a sample of the population, including setups, tires etc.).

2) One thing that the drag does not address is suspension performance, which from the design changes that BMW made, should be better on the G8x.

3) The G8x is a step up; but its not head and shoulders above the outgoing car and not overwhelmingly compelling enough given the compromises (design, transmission, weight).

As a result, the value proposition is diminished (which is part of my beef with BMW).
We see eye-to-eye

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
CT_M31478.00
Sassicaia4452.00
      04-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #26
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

No cow udder with Vorsteiner or knock off like diffuser, absolutely essential for these cars. Just say NO to the udder!

Oh and the G82 is a complete failure, what an embarrassing video for that car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-27-2021, 01:55 AM   #27
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

mini x3m

I'm kidding

Last edited by Anderw; 04-27-2021 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #28
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Ill take beauty and .1s slower personally.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17350.50
      04-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #29
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Figured some of you might like this as it just showed up in my feed
These videos are for entertainment purposes only. There is zero account for road conditions and driver reaction times. These result only apply in a world where the driver doesn't matter, only the car. What about the weight of the driver? Really what they should have done is runs on the same part of the road with the same driver with an instrumented test. But then again, that's not as "fun" to watch as a head to head to head video. Just another boring ass drag race.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      04-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #30
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
These videos are for entertainment purposes only. There is zero account for road conditions and driver reaction times. These result only apply in a world where the driver doesn't matter, only the car. What about the weight of the driver? Really what they should have done is runs on the same part of the road with the same driver with an instrumented test. But then again, that's not as "fun" to watch as a head to head to head video. Just another boring ass drag race.

Real way to compare race track performance would be to have same tires, same fuel and same driver on the same day. Hoping for Randy Pobst H2H.
      05-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #31
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:

Joe Achilles' did that, running the F82 CP vs. G82 CP back-to-back on a short track and the result was only a 0.2 sec difference favoring the G82. Here's the video again if you missed it:

And let's be clear here, the G8x is rightly (given it's a newer gen model) a superior car in almost every way. The G8x should easily win on a longer track given its 60hp hp advantage & better tech. The question is, is this incremental performance improvement sufficient to overcome it's abhorrent styling? For me, I'm waiting to see the LCI G8x or it's on to another brand.

And as for these videos being "entertainment purposes only," this describes print media reviews as well, not to mention this chat forum, spirited on-road driving and track driving/racing, etc. Otherwise, remove the entertainment factor, you just need a vehicle to get you from A to B and car reviews would be purely technical like reviewing toasters.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #32
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Lots of hate for car wow in here, kind of surprised. I’d love to know what truly entertains many of you. Yes, it’s entertaining and when classified as such I don’t make some senseless crossover to an end all result thus diminishing the results and or entertainment value.

I will also say, a street style race of any kind is just as likely to produce results like videos such as these. Driver is a variable. Tire condition is a variable. Weather is a variable. Tune is a variable.

Buncha whiny ass crybabies looking for someone else to provide the perfect factual entertainment videos while bench racing and producing the same opinion based “facts” riled with speculation and topped with partial known truths. FFS people.

Edit: EXACTLY Tacoma what I was saying
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #33
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Quote:

Joe Achilles' did that, running the F82 CP vs. G82 CP back-to-back on a short track and the result was only a 0.2 sec difference favoring the G82. Here's the video again if you missed it:

And let's be clear here, the G8x is rightly (given it's a newer gen model) a superior car in almost every way. The G8x should easily win on a longer track given its 60hp hp advantage & better tech. The question is, is this incremental performance improvement sufficient to overcome it's abhorrent styling? For me, I'm waiting to see the LCI G8x or it's on to another brand.

And as for these videos being "entertainment purposes only," this describes print media reviews as well, not to mention this chat forum, spirited on-road driving and track driving/racing, etc. Otherwise, remove the entertainment factor, you just need a vehicle to get you from A to B and car reviews would be purely technical like reviewing toasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Lots of hate for car wow in here, kind of surprised. I'd love to know what truly entertains many of you. Yes, it's entertaining and when classified as such I don't make some senseless crossover to an end all result thus diminishing the results and or entertainment value.

I will also say, a street style race of any kind is just as likely to produce results like videos such as these. Driver is a variable. Tire condition is a variable. Weather is a variable. Tune is a variable.

Buncha whiny ass crybabies looking for someone else to provide the perfect factual entertainment videos while bench racing and producing the same opinion based "facts" riled with speculation and topped with partial known truths. FFS people.

Edit: EXACTLY Tacoma what I was saying
My criticism of the video has nothing to do with the results. In fact, no matter who won, carwow's obsession with these drag races is purely for entertainment and views. There was even speculation that the M4 in the video was modded. I would even go so far to say that a proper test with the same driver could show even more of a performance advantage with the G80, so there is no "hate" for the G80 here.

As far as entertainment factor, there is a difference between being entertained while driving it, and filming a video suggesting results that provide legitimate comparisons between vehicles especially with "vs" in the title while actually being misleading. How many mouth breathers are going to cite a carwow video as evidence that the G80 only barely beats an F80 and G20 or that the G20 beat an F80 and a G80 from a dig? This spreads misinformation, a plague that infects more than just the car enthusiast community-passing entertainment off as legitimate metrics.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50