Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

11-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
bonsta101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp.

To drive or not to drive in winter..

For those of you who live in Wisconsin. I'm thinking of throwing winter tires on. One question I have..

1. Is it worth driving the M3 through the harsh winter conditions?! I have a daily I can drive. But I miss the M3 in the winter and want to have it when it's mostly dry but really cold out.

I plan on keeping the car for a while. 4+ more years. Just wondering if anyone regretted using it in the winter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsta101 View Post
For those of you who live in Wisconsin. I'm thinking of throwing winter tires on. One question I have..

1. Is it worth driving the M3 through the harsh winter conditions?! I have a daily I can drive. But I miss the M3 in the winter and want to have it when it's mostly dry but really cold out.

I plan on keeping the car for a while. 4+ more years. Just wondering if anyone regretted using it in the winter.
Throw some winter tires on it and have fun this winter! It's not a delicate old Ferrari that needs to be handled with gloves and stored in a climate controlled garage! It's a 3 series and they're build to drive!! My opinion anyway.

If it's not going to see much snow, or if the snow it sees is for fun not necessity, I recommend going with Pirelli Sottozero 3's 265/30/20 front and 295/30/20 rear. They'll fit your 666 wheels. If you're going to rely on it for snow driving and commuting you're probably better off going w a square setup on 19's.

But for dry, cold driving and occasional snow I'd stick with the 20's! Just got mine done and I'm pumped for the winter!!
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
bonsta101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Quote:

Throw some winter tires on it and have fun this winter! It's not a delicate old Ferrari that needs to be handled with gloves and stored in a climate controlled garage! It's a 3 series and they're build to drive!! My opinion anyway.

If it's not going to see much snow, or if the snow it sees is for fun not necessity, I recommend going with Pirelli Sottozero 3's 265/30/20 front and 295/30/20 rear. They'll fit your 666 wheels. If you're going to rely on it for snow driving and commuting you're probably better off going w a square setup on 19's.

But for dry, cold driving and occasional snow I'd stick with the 20's! Just got mine done and I'm pumped for the winter!!
Awesome. I might buy those over the weekend. Tirerack best spot?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Just not as fun in the winter obvs. Ride gets harsh, causing the already diffcult smooth shifting (6Mt) to be a little harder. I guess, unless I am driving spiritedly, id rather be in a comfortable SUV with a recliner for seat lol

Edit: on snows, the car is 100% good to go, just offering another opinion
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Quote:

Awesome. I might buy those over the weekend. Tirerack best spot?
Personally, I'd be careful about who installs the tires. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I take my cars either to the dealer or to an exotic Indy that deals will low profile tires on a daily basis. Your run of the mill tire store cranks cars out like a factory and they mostly deal with "normal" cars. I'd have tirerack deliver them to your house and then go to a good bmw dealer or a local Indy that works on legitimate cars.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
nullsec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 15 BMW M3

What is the process most of you go through for winter tires? Just got a 2015 M3 and thinking of how I should go about getting winter tires. What do you do with the summer tires? Just bring an SUV during the swap and store them in the garage?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullsec View Post
What is the process most of you go through for winter tires? Just got a 2015 M3 and thinking of how I should go about getting winter tires. What do you do with the summer tires? Just bring an SUV during the swap and store them in the garage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullsec View Post
That's exactly what I have done in the past. This was first time with M and got rid of SUV so I managed to fit the stuff in my M and wife's 340i. Needed to get the new winter tires mounted on the rims for the M. Now going forward I'll just switch the wheels each season on my own.
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0