BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Oil change after winter storage ?

Hi,

So finally the winter is almost over here.

Is it necessary to change the engine oil after car coming out of winter storage ?

I just put in new engine oil in November 2018 right before winter storage, only about 250km on it. But not sure if it will be better to replace it again after 6 months' storage. I have never started the car during storage.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

If you changed the oil right before storage you are ok. Imho no need to replace it. I hope you realize that there is more to it than oil when storing the car for 5 to 6 months. I hope you kept the battery in condition and that you added fuel stabilizers which is also very important.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
If you changed the oil right before storage you are ok. Imho no need to replace it. I hope you realize that there is more to it than oil when storing the car for 5 to 6 months. I hope you kept the battery in condition and that you added fuel stabilizers which is also very important.
Yes, OptiMATE Lithium charger is used to maintain my battery. I did add fuel stabilizer before winter storage with full tank of ethonal free gas just like you suggested. I also wrap it with car capsule with ventilating fan running during the whole storage, with one window slight down to keep the interior air being circulated.

I think the oil should be fine. Car is ready to go.
Appreciate 0