European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-24-2021, 12:52 AM   #23
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

The F80 can be a tricky SOB to drive if you aren't prepared for it. Big power, turbo lag, and not much traction. its a recipe for disaster if you aren't prepared to catch it.

easily more challenging to drive hard than all the supercars i've had.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
TD-F80110.00
      06-24-2021, 01:19 AM   #24
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Not the worst way to learn this lesson, at least you're ok!
Move on but don't forget the lesson it taught you. We all have our major f**k-ups in life, some of us learn from them and some people just keep f**king up. Don't be the latter

IMO the tune was a bad idea. Get confident on stock power levels first, which are dangerous enough.

What might help you regain your confidence is an advanced drivers course that teaches you how to handle slides. Well worth doing for anyone who wants to push these kinds of cars, it'll make you a better and safer driver - and one who can pull off slides
Appreciate 1
bmwbrad22249.00
      07-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #25
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
It wasn't until I mounted 295s in the back, that I ever felt like the car hooked properly. Stock rubber is fine for stock power but, similar to the C63s I had after the F80: it's just not anywhere up to handling higher power levels, especially when applying liberal amounts of throttle, which we all love doing!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #26
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

All of you guys who swear by TC have no idea how lucky you are. I remember driving my father's Mustang GT in the rain in the 80's. In an instant the car would swing sideways if you gave it more than 50% throttle and it only had 225hp. I had a 1990 300zx which was also terrible in the rain and snow.

I think everyone should turn off the TC in their F80 and learn how to use their right foot for traction control.
NickyC17356.00
      07-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #27
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Glad you're ok, credit to you and others for sharing. None of us are immune to the shit happens rule.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #28
Imboardman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 TRDpro T4R

Glad you are okay, good advice for a lot of people! Thankful you are ok and walked away without to much damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #29
justm3f80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3, Forester XT, Saab 92x

Take heart, the important thing is you were able to walk away like many have posted. Thank you for your public safety announcement, its I for one I'm not shy to say I dive with the nannies on. I learned very quickly this car is a beast to handle even on MDM mode at least for my level of skill. Had to do a quick overtake on the highway once with MDM +Sport and I mashed the throttle in 3rd and lost traction and car slide sideways mind you there was opposing traffic commit up fast - Luckily I was able to countersteer and correct
in time to make a clean pass. But... I nearly shat my pants and that my friends is why I do not take the nannies off. Even with new sticky tires.. until I learn how to drive this machine.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #30
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Good thing you're safe, a year or two from now this will be nothing but a lesson and you'll be a much better and smarter driver.

Did the back end kick out as you shifted during a rolling burnout? I've noticed that if you're spinning through first & shift to second the back end likes to whip out because we have so much torque in second gear; the DCT in S3/D3 really does unsettle the back end of the car although I'd take a DCT over ZF anyday.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #31
Oldschoolandy
Rep
Drives: Mercedes ML350

Much respect for the OP’s honesty.

These are incredible machines that demand respect!
Appreciate 1
virosky82.00
      07-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #32
kindafrosty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 F80 / ‘08 E83

Bravo OP, not many people are as noble as you to share such a predicament. Knowing how difficult this car can be to push, as well as the number of rebuilt/salvaged F8X's out there, I'd be willing to bet that there are hundreds or thousands more people with a similar story. Have fun and stay safe
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #33
SolidWater
Private
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafrosty View Post
Bravo OP, not many people are as noble as you to share such a predicament. Knowing how difficult this car can be to push, as well as the number of rebuilt/salvaged F8X's out there, I'd be willing to bet that there are hundreds or thousands more people with a similar story. Have fun and stay safe
100%. Thanks for the post, OP.

As a relatively new M3Comp owner (prior car was a 135i), I'm still learning.

Thanks to your story, I'll be sure to take my time and be more cautious.

I know even in full TC-on mode the car breaks traction in 3rd, so it's ready to go.

Did go once in the rain in an empty parking lot to see what it could do, and that really made it clear how snappy and easy it is to get loose.

Hope your SA comes back with good news for you!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:09 PM   #34
Grayjustice
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3/2015 BMW 328I GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Good thing you're safe, a year or two from now this will be nothing but a lesson and you'll be a much better and smarter driver.

Did the back end kick out as you shifted during a rolling burnout? I've noticed that if you're spinning through first & shift to second the back end likes to whip out because we have so much torque in second gear; the DCT in S3/D3 really does unsettle the back end of the car although I'd take a DCT over ZF anyday.
That's exactely what happened. Felt like it was only 5 seconds maybe for everything to go sideways. Surprised the heck out of me. Now I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:11 PM   #35
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjustice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post

That's exactely what happened. Felt like it was only 5 seconds maybe for everything to go sideways. Surprised the heck out of me. Now I know.
Did it snap sideways and you let off? Or was it progressively going sideways and you thought you could handle it so you stayed in too long.

I do rolling burnouts really often (nowhere near other cars or people) and hearing these stories scares the shit out of me; although I'm really good at controlling rear wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #36
Grayjustice
Rep

Update! Took 4 weeks but all has been settled and squared away. My vehicle was deemed a total loss due to additional damage found (debris found in oil filter). After weeks of searching and speaking to people from all over. I'd like to introduce to the community my new decompression chamber on wheels. My wife named her Maggie (it was her decision and I wasn't about to fight her on it) I look forward to taking drives and blaring music once again. Except this time!!! I'll Never ever take traction control completely off. At least until I've had proper driver training. I'm so thankful for all of the support I've recieved from many of you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
      07-15-2021, 11:32 PM   #37
justm3f80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3, Forester XT, Saab 92x

Quote:
Update! Took 4 weeks but all has been settled and squared away. My vehicle was deemed a total loss due to additional damage found (debris found in oil filter). After weeks of searching and speaking to people from all over. I'd like to introduce to the community my new decompression chamber on wheels. My wife named her Maggie (it was her decision and I wasn't about to fight her on it) I look forward to taking drives and blaring music once again. Except this time!!! I'll Never ever take traction control completely off. At least until I've had proper driver training. I'm so thankful for all of the support I've recieved from many of you.
upwards and onwards! nice color enjoy responsibly
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #38
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Congrats man! Glad everything worked out well in the end!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #39
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Hey, sorry to hear about the car. At least you now realise your mistake, which was not having enough quality seat time and adding more power despite that.

People should realise that adding power to an already very fast car is just cheap thrills and it'll get old fast. One has to be an outstanding driver to explore the limits of the car so well that that they find the power to be lacking after tyres, brakes and suspension.

MDM could have maybe saved your arse, but relying on MDM is also not ideal as it still gives you false impression of having things under control. Better to turn everything off at the track sooner than later, imo.

If the car isn't totaled, get it repaired, delete the tune and sign up for driving school and/or a track day with an instructor. After three years and five trackdays in the past 9 months, I can say that not even once have I thought that the M3 needed more power.
It's best to leave MDM on until you can consistently go around a track without triggering it.
Having it off without the skill set is asking for trouble. Take the training wheels off as you progress.

Or not. 😂
      07-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #40
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

Quote:
New to the forum and felt sharing my experience might possibly help another rookie M car owner. Maybe Sharing this story will help me after the events of today.

I was finally at a point in my life professionally and mentally (mature or so I thought) where I could finally purchase my very first "M" Car. I finally chose a 2018 Base M3 and added a BMS Stage1. This care was absolute decompression happiness for me. Just driving around town, along back roads following a lake with music turned up was the best therapy ever. I enjoyed all of this with M1 set to comfort, D1 settings and TC on. I had M2 set to sport+, D3 and MDM which was my smiles per. gallon setting.

Well today after 4 whole weeks of ownership and 300 miles, I learned a very important and I'm guessing expensive few lessons.

Lesson #1-If you have never owned a car that has the power or torque of (in my case) an M car, take your time and get to know it better. Don't get over confident, which I clearly did.

Lesson #2-If your a newbie dummy like myself and want to dig (DO NOT) turn TC completely off!! Keep MDM on for goodness sakes, at least until you get some wide open space to practice on. reread lesson 1.

Lesson #3-When you fall down the Youtube rabbit hole and find yourself chuckling at the guys who WOT on a straight, lose control and go over a curb. Just remember, that can be you one day.

Today I took a friend out for a drive to show him just how great this car was and why it made me smile all the time. The drive was going great! He was amazed at how the car felt and accelerated in my M1 settings. Getting caught up in his excitement and awe, I thought hey I never turned TC completely off. Let's try it for the first time now! The only "Mentally Mature" thing I did at this point was make sure there was no traffic before smashing the pedal to the floor (the whole thing lasted maybe 6 seconds) I have the familiar fishtail feeling, except this time the rear kicks out to the right and I'm headed right for a curb and shallow drainage ditch. The whole thing felt like a bad dream. I was told numerous times today, that at least nobody was hurt and they would be correct! BUT dang what a bonehead move on my part. Anyhow, I hope this finds future M car owner who isn't used to this power and saves them from this experience. Lesson Learned.

I've attached pics of my 4 week timeline of ownership and a whopping 300 miles of smiles.

thanks for sharing, i did something very similar by taking TC off my 350z Track trim, took a turn at about 20-25 mph and lost control of my car. Ended up hitting another car. Luckily no one was hurt, except for my mental lol. felt so stupid and learned the lesson. haven't taken TC off any of my car again.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:36 AM   #41
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Don't lie you parked the other one over a curb because you saw the color of this one and knew you had to have it

Kidding. Congrats on the new car!
      08-16-2021, 11:36 PM   #42
Grayjustice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
Did the same thing in my M2 on hard, old MPSS in cold wet weather. Won't make that mistake again I'll tell you that!
Amen brother!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #43
Grayjustice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82spaceship View Post
Don't lie you parked the other one over a curb because you saw the color of this one and knew you had to have it

Kidding. Congrats on the new car!
Thank you! It did work out for the better forsure. Definitely not by design. It's been 4 weeks now and I have to note. This competition package really does put more power to the ground. I notice the rear end isn't as loose as my poor M3 Base. Still not going to completely turn off traction control until my driving skills level up. Those Michelin Pilot 4s 295/30zr20 really dig. The color and all the extras are a nice touch
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2021, 11:46 PM   #44
Grayjustice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Not the worst way to learn this lesson, at least you're ok!
Move on but don't forget the lesson it taught you. We all have our major f**k-ups in life, some of us learn from them and some people just keep f**king up. Don't be the latter

IMO the tune was a bad idea. Get confident on stock power levels first, which are dangerous enough.

What might help you regain your confidence is an advanced drivers course that teaches you how to handle slides. Well worth doing for anyone who wants to push these kinds of cars, it'll make you a better and safer driver - and one who can pull off slides

I'm definitely looking into that. Really enjoying the new one relativity responsibly
Appreciate 0